Golden State (2019)

by Ben H. Winters

Fiction. Thriller. HTML:

From award-winning, New York Times bestselling novelist Ben H. Winters comes a mind-bending novel set in a world governed by absolute truth, where lies are as dangerous as murder.

In a strange alternate society that values law and truth above all else, Laszlo Ratesic is a nineteen-year veteran of the Speculative Service. He lives in the Golden State, a nation standing where California once did, a place where like-minded Americans retreated after the erosion of truth and the spread of lies made public life and governance impossible.

In the Golden State, knowingly contradicting the truth is the greatest crime-and stopping those crimes is Laz's job. In its service, he is one of the few individuals permitted to harbor untruths, to "speculate" on what might have happened.

But the Golden State is less a paradise than its name might suggest. To monitor, verify, and enforce the truth requires a veritable panopticon of surveillance and recording. And when those in control of the facts twist them for nefarious means, the Speculators are the only ones with the power to fight back.

… (more)
    Gold Fame Citrus by Claire Vaye Watkins (sturlington)
    sturlington: Two visions of a future California

I really enjoyed the idea and 3/4 of this book, but the plot didn’t quite make it to the end for me ( )
  danielskatz | Dec 26, 2023 |
All I can say is... what in the ever-loving fuck happened to the last quarter of the book? The first 3/4 were exceptional! I was drawn in, fully invested, I couldn't put it down. I was so excited to tell everyone I knew about this amazing new dystopian novel I'd discovered. The premise was excellent, and beautifully developed. I liked the characters - Aysa in particular, but Laszlo as well - and I was eager to see how the story would unfold.

And then the "twist" happens, just before Part Three. It comes out of nowhere, despite the fact that Winters has foreshadowed just about everything else, and makes NO sense. Worse yet, nothing's wrapped up. The story veers into an entirely new direction, which is completely out of left field and explains NOTHING. It's worse than contrived. It's nonsense.

I was so disappointed with the end of this novel that it tainted my entire experience of reading it. Needless to say, I won't be recommending this one like I'd hoped, and I won't pick up another Ben H. Winters book for a long time, either. ( )
  Elizabeth_Cooper | Oct 27, 2023 |
Great premise with a rushed and disappointing ending. ( )
  eringill | Dec 25, 2022 |
Speculator Lazlo Ratesic is assigned a new partner as he begins investigating the death of a fallen roofer.

I enjoyed this exploration through a police procedural of a society where lying is the ultimate crime. Both the world building and the mystery were well done, though I must admit to being a bit baffled at the end as to what the significance of the pumpkins might be. ( )
  Robertgreaves | Dec 11, 2022 |
This was a great premise with a great protagonist in a book which took a little bit too long to get going. Don’t get me wrong, I wound up loving the book in the end, but I had to keep moving ahead at times.

The world is one of the main draws of the book- you cannot lie as it is against the law, everything is recorded, and there are people who can detect lies. Greetings are done by stating facts. Fiction doesn’t exist in books. There is film of every moment of your life.

A apparent suicide happens, but something isn’t right. A book is found with a false cover and inside is fiction. Film is missing. Someone has been lying and lying in a big way. ( )
  Nerdyrev1 | Nov 23, 2022 |

Ben H. Wintersprimary authorall editionscalculated
Kulick, GreggCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Petrides, HenryCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Future (n.), usually the future: the set of possible events which are neither happening nor have happened but which may happen, including those possible events which will happen, but which are not yet distinguishable from the far greater group which will not. [Nota bene: avoid where possible.] -- The Everyday Citizen's Dictionary, 43rd edition, the Golden State Publishing Arm
For Irwin Hyman who built the world he wanted to live in
This is a novel.
The preservation of reality’s integrity is the paramount duty of the citizenry and of the government alike. What kind of mad society would be organized otherwise? -Page 55
Nine tall white letters on the side of a hill, spelling a word that if it meant something to somebody once, means nothing to anyone now. Nothing that can be known. -Page 174
...now I’ve come down hard on a bone truth, on the brutal bone truth that if there is ever anything that somebody could do—something violent, something perverse, something cruel and unconscionable—if there is ever anything that somebody could do, somebody is going to do it, somebody has already done it. -Page 251

Fiction. Thriller. HTML:

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 201,941,726 books! | Top bar: Always visible