Devil's Daughter by Lisa Kleypas

Devil's Daughter

by Lisa Kleypas

Series: The Ravenels (5), Wallflowers (7)

Although beautiful young widow Phoebe, Lady Clare, has never met West Ravenel, she knows one thing for certain: he's a mean, rotten bully. Back in boarding school, he made her late husband's life a misery, and she'll never forgive him for it. But when Phoebe attends a family wedding, she encounters a dashing and impossibly charming stranger who sends a fire-and-ice jolt of attraction through her. And then he introduces himself...as none other than West Ravenel. West is a man with a tarnished past. No apologies, no excuses. However, from the moment he meets Phoebe, West is consumed by irresistible desire...not to mention the bitter awareness that a woman like her is far out of his reach. What West doesn't bargain on is that Phoebe is no straitlaced aristocratic lady. She's the daughter of a strong-willed wallflower who long ago eloped with Sebastian, Lord St. Vincent--the most devilishly wicked rake in England. Before long, Phoebe sets out to seduce the man who has awakened her fiery nature and shown her unimaginable pleasure. Will their overwhelming passion be enough to overcome the obstacles of the past? Only the devil's daughter knows...  … (more)
Member:Shira_Tamar
Title:Devil's Daughter
Authors:Lisa Kleypas
Info:Publisher Unknown

Devil's Daughter by Lisa Kleypas

This was really good and I am now caught up on this series!

I had been looking forward to West's book ever since he was introduced. He seemed like a character that would be really interesting to know more about. I did like him in this. He's wasn't my favorite hero of this series, I think that would be Gabriel, but I did really like reading more about him. There wasn't as much about his rake-like past as I was expecting and I would have liked to have seen more about that. This premise of this book is that Phoebe knows that West was a bully to her dead husband when they were in school. I thought that would be a bit more central to the main story but it was resolved a bit quicker than I was expecting.

Phoebe was also a really interesting character. She's a widowed mother, which is new to this series and it was fun to see how West treated her children. I liked her plot of rethinking what he previous marriage was like in a way that didn't cause her to hate her husband or anything but still opened her eyes to other possibilities. She says at one point that her only interest was her children and that really seemed true to the point that I wanted her to have another hobby. She does start to take an interest in managing her estate, which becomes a major plot point, but that's only at the urging of West and not something she brings to the relationship herself.

There isn't really an external plot until about halfway through the book. The first half is just Phoebe and West getting to know each other at Pandora's wedding. I didn't mind this because I enjoyed those getting to know each other parts and I enjoyed the way the plot moved at the end. I liked seeing Phoebe become more assertive and I enjoyed the little bit of action at the end. I always appreciate a little bit of peril in my romances so it was a fun end for me.

I'm excited to be caught up with this series and I'm looking forward to book seven. I hope I can also dive in to some of Kleypas' other series. I really like her writing and characters and so far everything I've read has worked for me and hopefully that will continue. ( )
  AKBouterse | Oct 14, 2021 |
Not super plot-heavy, but watching West act as a surrogate father is so charming and endearing, he's impossible not to love.
  Shira_Tamar | Dec 20, 2020 |
Devil’s Daughter-Kleypas
Audio performance by M.J.Wells
3 stars

Weston Ravenel falls for a beautiful widow with two young children. Phoebe, Lady Claire is connected to the earlier Wallflower series. It’s been two years, Phoebe is thinking of another marriage. Her son is heir to a title and a vast estate. Who should she marry? There’s her dead husband’s top choice, his cousin, Edward Larson. Larson, the executor of her husband’s estate is bland, condescending and ...not as he seems. Weston Ravenel doesn’t really have any competition. The story unfolds predictably. ( )
  msjudy | Sep 21, 2020 |
Henry was a sickly, gentle child who was bullied in prep school primarily by West Ravenel. So, Phoebe, Henry's widow is prepared to loathe this man from her husband's past. However, she finds him far more attractive than she anticipated. West also steps in to teach her about managing her son's inheritance, but she finds that the current executor and her potential new betrothed may not be managing the estate in her best interest.
  4leschats | Jul 15, 2020 |
I'm pretty fond of Lisa Kleypas' historical romances and in particular anything that has to do with her Wallflowers series. With Sebastian and Evie being one of my favorite romantic duos ever, I was excited to see a book about the romance of their oldest daughter.

This book did not disappoint. I really enjoyed the romance between Phoebe and West. I thought they had good chemistry and enjoyed the book as a whole. I loved the addition of the children and "Galoshes" to the mix. Although it isn't an absolute "favorite" I'm very happy to have this story.

I know I've read at least one of the other Ravenel romances (West's brother's romance), but I had a hard time remembering it. I may try other ones of this particular series in the future. ( )
  Jenson_AKA_DL | Jul 13, 2020 |
added by AoifeT | editDear Author, Janine (Feb 25, 2019)

Lisa Kleypasprimary authorall editionscalculated
Wells, Mary JaneNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Hampshire, England, 1877

Phoebe had never met West Ravenel, but she knew on thing for certain: He was a mean, rotten bully.

West is a man with a tarnished past. No apologies, no excuses. However, from the moment he meets Phoebe, West is consumed by irresistible desire...not to mention the bitter awareness that a woman like her is far out of his reach. What West doesn't bargain on is that Phoebe is no straitlaced aristocratic lady. She's the daughter of a strong-willed wallflower who long ago eloped with Sebastian, Lord St. Vincent—the most devilishly wicked rake in England.

Only the devil's daughter knows...

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,179,504 books! | Top bar: Always visible