Dear Earthling: Cosmic Correspondent by…

Dear Earthling: Cosmic Correspondent

by Avery Pen

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I was mixed on my feelings about this book. It had a unique premise, letters from an alien to an "earthling" exploring the differences between their life experiences. I appreciated the examples of letter writing for the young reader to learn how to write a pen pal. Though, while reading the letters, I kept yearning for a letter from the earthling! The one-sided correspondence created a forced filling of details in the alien's letters. There were some clever comparisons of vocabulary, animals, and school activities that made me smile, but I felt it tried too hard to accommodate the baser humor of 8-10 year old kids.
I did find the illustrations to be enjoyable and added interest to the correspondence.
My 10 year old son started reading this book but lost interest in it fairly early in the book, however I do think there are many young readers that will appreciate and enjoy this book.
I received a complimentary copy though LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Thanks! ( )
  MKCagle | Sep 8, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Fun, exciting read for middle grades. The book is written in letter form, so it teaches the reader how to address a letter to someone, while being an entertaining read. My son's favorite character is the pet "snail chicken." Both boys and girls alike can enjoy this read. Looking forward to another book in this series!

I received a complimentary copy through Early Readers. ( )
  VictorianBooks | Sep 5, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book is so cute! I think the format of this book, that it's written in letters from an alien to a little boy on Earth, is so interesting. It's meant for 8-11 year olds, but I think this also could be a good book for those who are still learning to read, in english or just in general. I especially love the sharing of information between the two boys. For example, the alien and the earthling tell each other about the differences in their homes. "Earthling" has this, and Oh! Dethbert has something similar! which i find SO cute. The sharing of cultures, kind of. I dunno. It's just so cute and I recommend this book to anyone who has kids, or even just enjoys cute little books like this (: ( )
  Allison246 | Aug 30, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I had high hopes for this book. I loved the concept. It sounded perfect for a young reader who loves make-believe, space, and a bit of humor. However, it did not deliver.

The text itself is poorly written. If the author was trying to give the impression that these letters were really written by a 10.63 year old, well then she hit the nail on the head. I did not appreciate the style.

The story centers on... well... I'm not really sure what it centers on. There is a girl, and a bully, some random meanderings into the differences between Earth and Crank, and a trip to space camp, which comes very late, with a missing alien prince who looks a bit like big foot. In the end the main character gets a hug from the girl. This seems to make him incredibly happy and fulfilled. But the middle is slow and not very funny. The alien names are different but not very clever. The plot is jumbled and doesn't really go anywhere.

Disturbing themes included: Sibling hate (no redemption at the end), not having to fess up to your parents after you snooped in your dad's lab and ended up with a very harry ankle, and having a girl like you as the highest goal of your life.

In the end, this sounded like it could have been good, but there are so many better things to hand my kids. Also, I did hand this to my kids (11,10, 8) ... a week later, not one of the three had gotten past the second page. It didn't hook them.

I received a copy of this book free from library thing's early reviewer program. I was not required to give a positive review. All opinions are my own, or those of my children who have read the book. ( )
  Jesslaw | Aug 14, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received this book for free from LibraryThing's Early Reviewers program.

Pen Avey's Dear Earthling: Cosmic Correspondent missed the mark for me. I suppose it had to happen eventually. I've been getting a lot of great review books for kids, but you can't like everything.

Partly, this book is just aimed at older kids than mine. Ages 8-11 says the included bookmark. My wife said this is the kind of book a ten-year old would probably like reading, so that checks out. Unfortunately for me, my oldest is six. However, I also find the style of the book rather obnoxious. Even if my son were ten, I might not be real happy about him reading this book. I certainly did not like reading it to him. Probably because it is pitched a little too hard at what ten-year old boys find funny. Fart jokes mostly.

As I find the book déclassé, I am unwilling to excuse the derivative nature of most of it. I like pastiche, but only in the service of greater ends. I will not be returning to this book at bedtime. If your taste in children's books is different than mine, your mileage my vary. ( )
  bespen | Aug 8, 2018 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Avery Pen's book Dear Earthling: Cosmic Correspondent is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,846,224 books! | Top bar: Always visible