The Queen's Gambit

by Jessie Mihalik

Series: Rogue Queen (1)

When the Quint Confederacy and the Kos Empire went to war-again-Queen Samara wisely kept her Rogue Coalition out of the conflict. But staying neutral in a galactic war doesn't pay the bills, not when both sides refuse to trade with neutral sectors.With her people on the brink of starvation, Samara hatches a daring plan to snatch the kidnapped Kos Emperor from the Quint mercenaries holding him. The Kos Empire will pay a fortune for their emperor's return, enough to feed the Coalition's citizens while they wait for the return to a begrudging peace.But when her plan goes sideways, Samara finds herself evading Quint mercenaries with the very man she intends to capture. And the more time she spends with Valentin Kos, the more she realizes that he's not the coldly indifferent villain she imagined. Torn between duty and desire, Samara must decide if saving her people is worth giving up the one thing she's always wanted.… (more)

Queen Samara is squeezed between the Quint Confederacy and the Kos Empire and she can see a small hope in snatching the Kos Emperor; Valentine Kos; from the Quint mercenaries who are holding him, but when they meet sparks fly and things might never be the same again between them.
Yes it's a bit predictable but it was also a lot of fun and I liked how she realised that she was being distracted by Valentine but was determined to save herself and her people first. Duty first and that's why she's the leader. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Jan 2, 2022 |
The Queen’s Gambit is the first book of this author’s debut series. And as I fell in love with her Consortium Rebellion trilogy, I was super eager to try out this other series of hers and yep I fell in love with this book. I think even just a couple years her writing has improved vastly, but I quite had a blast with this book and it had so many laugh out loud moments. We have two strong protaganists that melted my heart in every way. You have our hero, who is the emperor and a new one at that. His father died and named him his replacement and he is the younger son, so had no clue why, and now dealing with all his advisors seeking his death including his brother. Then you have the heroine, Queen Samara. Her people are starving and she will do whatever it takes to see to their welfare including kidnapping Emperor Kos to get a ransom out of it. But the chemistry between these two is explosive and soon they join forces against their true enemies and build a peace between their two peoples, but their journey is just beginning.

Overall I couldn’t seem to get enough of this book, at first, I wasn’t quite a Samara fan to be honest. Kos had my heart from the get go, he just has such a solid foundation of goodness and honesty and a bit of craftiness and sometimes Samara wasn’t the best to him. But she thoughout the story, did win my good will once again and I grew to admire her as the main focus of this trilogy and I am excited to see what becomes of her and Kos in this trilogy. ( )
  addictofromance | Jan 11, 2021 |
Liked it very much. Quick read. Enjoyed all the characters. Would have enjoyed as a longer book with more time to explore back stories. ( )
  madichi | Nov 22, 2020 |
If you love space opera's and a bit of romance, this is your ticket to a great time. I fell in love with Mihalik's writing while reading "Polaris Rising." This short story series is just as enjoyable on a smaller scale and is another series within the same universe as her other titles. ( )
  StefanieGeeks | Jan 4, 2020 |

Belongs to Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 171,577,445 books! | Top bar: Always visible