The Breakfast Club by Molly Ringwald

The Breakfast Club (original 1985; edition 2008)

by Molly Ringwald (Actor)

They are five high school students with nothing in common, faced with spending a Saturday morning detention together in their school library. At 7 a.m. they had nothing to say to each other, but by 4 p.m., they had bared their souls and become good friends.
Member:Bdcbags
Title:The Breakfast Club
Authors:Molly Ringwald (Actor)
Info:(2008)

The Breakfast Club [1985 film] by John Hughes (Director/Screenwriter) (1985)

A conversation between some of my younger co-workers recently got me to thinking about this quintessential 80s-era “brat pack” classic. Written and directed by John Hughes (Sixteen Candles, Ferris Bueller’s Day Off, Planes Trains and Automobiles and many more), The Breakfast Club is the ultimate for navel-gazing teens. Four high school students are forced to attend an all-Saturday detention day, overseen by their overbearing principal. The teens come from drastically different backgrounds — The Jock (Emilio Estevez), The Princess (Molly Ringwald), The Brain (Anthony Michael Hall), The Criminal (Judd Nelson) and The Basketcase (Ally Sheedy), but over the course of a morning and afternoon spent verbally sparring, then sharing, with each other, they each come to a better understanding of the complications that anyone’s life can have. This film should be required viewing for any student of the 1980s, and features terrific performances from a very talented young cast. Molly, Judd and Ally, in particular, stand out, as does Paul Gleason as Mr. Vernon. What, on the surface, appears to be a very lightweight film, actually carries considerable heft. I was impressed, and still am, even though it’s been almost 30 years since it was released. Also features an iconic musical soundtrack as background to the drama. This specific “Flashback” DVD version features a 12-part documentary, in which cast members look back at the making of the film, and others in the entertainment business reflect on The Breakfast Club’s cultural impact, as well as feature commentary by Judd Nelson and Anthony Michael Hall, and a mini-documentary on the origins of the “Brat Pack” of 80’s actors.

Originally reviewed for my local library's website in August 2013: http://lincolnlibraries.org/bookguide/staff-recommendations/staff-recommendation...
  cannellfan | Feb 26, 2016 |
Five kids of different stereotypes spend the day together in detention.

My John Hughes experience was previously limited to Ferris Bueller and Home Alone, so this was not at all what I expected - quite a pleasant surprise.

Concept: C

Kapelos, JohnActorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Nelson, JuddActorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ringwald, MollyActorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sheedy, AllyActorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brian: Saturday, March 24, 1984. Shermer High School, Shermer, Illinois, 60062. Dear Mr. Vernon, we accept the fact that we had to sacrifice a whole Saturday in detention for whatever it was we did wrong. What we did was wrong. But we think you're crazy to make us write an essay telling you who we think we are. What do you care? And you see us as you want to see us - in the simplest terms, in the most convenient definitions. You see us as a brain, an athlete, a basket case, a princess, and a criminal. Correct? That's the way we saw each other at 7:00 this morning. We were brainwashed.
Bender: You know how you said before that your parents use you to get back at each other? Wouldn't I be outstanding in that capacity?
Vernon: My office is right across that hall. Any monkey business is ill-advised. Any questions?
John: Yeah, I got a question. Does Barry Manilow know you raid his wardrobe?
Bender: Ah. Here's my impression of life at Big Bri's house: "Son?" "Yeah, Dad?" "How was your day, pal?" "Great, Dad! How's yours?" "Super! Say, how would like to go fishing this weekend?" "Great, Dad! But I got homework to do." "That's okay, son! You can do it on the boat!" "Gee!" "Dear, isn't our son swell?" "Yes, dear. Isn't life swell?" [kiss, then mimes punching]
Vernon: I was just in my office and I heard a ruckus.
Brian: Could you describe the ruckus, sir?
Andrew: What's bizarre? I mean, we're all pretty bizarre! Some of us are just better at hiding it, that's all.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,931,442 books! | Top bar: Always visible