They Won't Be Hurt by Kevin O'Brien

They Won't Be Hurt

by Kevin O'Brien

I must admit that I picked up this book because I thought the dark house on the cover looked intriguing. The tittle wasn't particularly interesting...but what the heck? I was captured from the first chapter. I read more than half the book in one setting and the only reason I stopped was because the words were starting to run together. The characters...at first I felt rather sorry for Joe...I soon became frustrated with his follow the leader attitude and wished he's grow a backbone. Vic...was just plain evil from the start and never got any better. I found myself hoping that he would die soon. some wishes are never granted and I soon realized that Vic was part of the reason the book held the appeal for me that it did. Sophie and her children...the real victims here and not so much the murdered family that started this whole mess. The Singleton family that we meet in the beginning...secrets, secrets and more secrets. Overall, a realy good worthwhile read. ( )
  Carol420 | Jan 2, 2019 |
This is billed as the latest from "New York Times bestselling author" Kevin O'Brien. It is the tale of Laura, a former teacher, turned vineyard owner with her family, who is held prisoner by a former student who adored her when she was his teacher and his accomplice, a murderer who escaped from a psychiatric center to "save" is friend as they both had spent time there together. While her family struggles to survive with these two in their home, Laura embarks on a mission to find proof her former student did not commit the murders he was originally accused of committing. She uncovers the truth, but the bottom line was, I simply did not care. It dragged on and on, the action predictable and therefore, too simple for me. I have put this author on my don't bother to read again list. ( )
  Susan.Macura | Aug 24, 2018 |
This is the first book that I didn't like by this author. Usually in the past I have not had problems jumping right into the book and reading it. Yet, this time, it felt like the story just kept going on a continuous loop.

There was action but it was slow burning. This did not help the story. The intensity needed to be stronger as a lot of the story was just happening in a house with a small core group of characters. I kept with this book because of the author. Although, there were times when I did skim it to make it go faster.

When I got to the ending, I would say it was a bit of a disappointment. Overall, I was kind of bored with this book. I hope that the next book scores with me. ( )
1 vote Cherylk | Jul 13, 2018 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Kevin O'Brien's book They Won’t Be Hurt is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,578,638 books! | Top bar: Always visible