dismiss

Who Slays the Wicked

by C. S. Harris

When Lord Ashworth is found brutally murdered, Sebastian St. Cyr is called in to help catch the killer. Just seven months before, Sebastian had suspected Ashworth of kidnapping and murder of a string of vulnerable street children. But Sebastian was never able to prove Ashworth's complicity. Nor was he able to prevent his troubled niece Stephanie from marrying him, a marriage that quickly turned into a sham. Now mounting evidence suggests that Ashworth's killer was a woman. Sebastian is tasked with unraveling the shocking surrounding Ashworth's life before Stephanie is punished for his death.… (more)

C S Harris selects the title of her books from the Bible which gives each novel a different view on murder. The murder of Viscount Ashworth shows that the wicked do not escape forever. Anthony Marcus Ledger, the Viscount Ashworth, lands in a vicious death and now Sebastian St. Cyr, the Viscount Devlin, must find the killer before his niece is suspected of murdering her husband. C S Harris provides little tidbits of intrigue from England in 1814. The rise and fall of Napoleon Bonaparte glimmers in the story. And Hero provides a second story concerning the poor masses of English people who barely survive. Hero relates the burdens of the rag people, the bone people, and the privy cleaners. I never imagined these tasks, and of course many do not know. I relish the information that C S Harris weaves into her stories about life in the 1800’s. The description of the characters and the settings and the ladies’ fashion paint an amazing look of life. ( )
  delphimo | Jun 21, 2020 |
Note: There are necessarily spoilers for previous books in this series.

In this fourteenth book in the series, Sebastian St. Cyr, Viscount Devlin, the main protagonist, is now 31. In the first book, he was suspected of a murder he did not commit, and had to become something of a Sherlock Holmes to find the real murderer to save his own skin.

In subsequent books, he was consulted on murders that involved the nobility, because he had an entrée into the upper level of society that would have been denied to the regular police. He agreed because the thought of anybody stealing away someone else’s life was an abomination to him, especially after the traumatic instances of unjust murder he witnessed in the army. He still felt guilt over these deaths, even though he could not have prevented any of them. He retained a fierce commitment to the pursuit of justice.

Devlin is aided by the counsel of his friend, the surgeon Paul Gibson, who serves as a Watson to St. Cyr’s Holmes, as well as by Sir Henry Lovejoy, now a "Bow Street Runner" (detective) who has become a friend of Devlin’s. Devlin also asks his young horse handler Tom, a former street urchin, as well as his valet, Jules Calhoun, to do reconnaissance work for him. Each has an entrée into the lower levels of society that Devlin can’t even manage in disguise. And in an increasing capacity, his wife, Hero Devlin, helps him in his investigative work.

The story begins, as usual, with the discovery of a murder victim. This time it is Anthony Marcus Ledger, Viscount Ashworth, only son and heir of the Marquis of Lindley. Ashworth is also, more importantly to Devlin, the husband of his niece, Stephanie, 19. She recently delivered twin boys and is now staying with her father-in-law at Lindley House while Ashworth’s place is being refurbished.

In spite of Devlin’s tendency to take murders personally, “as he stared down at what was left of Anthony Ledger, Sebastian felt only relief.” Ashworth was pure evil, and Devlin constantly worried about the safety of his niece. He knew that because Ashworth’s father was a wealthy, powerful nobleman, someone would have to be arrested for Ashworth’s death, whether truly guilty or not. And Devlin didn't want Stephanie to be that someone.

[As the author points out, at that time, husband killers were dealt with more harshly than wife killers. Under common law, for a woman to kill her husband was more than simple murder. “It was also an act of treason - a rebellion against both God and King, who together had placed her husband above her as her master. As a desecration that threatened the God-ordained fabric of society, such an act was therefore seen as a threat - and punished as harshly as witchcraft.”]

Thus, Devlin needed to get to the bottom of who murdered Ashworth and why, fervently hoping it would not turn out to be Stephanie. While he did suspect her, there was much that argued for her innocence, such as the additional bodies found, all associated with Ashworth. Devlin supposed the murderer was cleaning up loose ends and eliminating anyone who might threaten exposure. Stephanie, with her two infants, didn’t seem capable of any killings besides that of her husband. But Devlin had the strong sense she was lying to him.

In the case of Ashworth, so widely reviled, there were plenty of other suspects at least. Almost everyone who knew Ashworth hated him, even shopkeepers. Ashworth was constantly ordering goods and not paying for them. As one merchant bitterly complained, “Anyone that bastard did business with, he cheated if he could. It was like a game with him - a matter of pride, a way to show that he was the one with the power, while the rest of us… the rest of us were like nothin’ to him.”

There is even a possibility of involvement at the highest levels of the government, as is usual in Harris’s books, so she can acquaint us with the convoluted political machinations of the time. In this case, 25-year-old Grand Duchess Catherine of Oldenburg, the best-loved sister of Tsar Alexander of Russia, is in London, allegedly to prepare for her brother’s impending visit. One of her ladies is Princess Ivanna Gagarin, also in her twenties, who was apparently involved somehow with Ashworth. Are the Russians responsible for all of this?

Devlin often ruminates on the nature of evil. In his experience, he has found that most murders are committed because of one of five motives: greed, whether for money or power; love, or at least sexual lust; fear; jealousy; and revenge. But, he has come to think, “there existed another breed of killer, and those were the ones Sebastian believed belonged in a category all their own: the men and women who killed for pleasure.” He thought Ashworth was in that latter group. But if so, who would slay the wicked? The answer is a surprising one.

Evaluation: I love the recurring characters in this series and their evolving interactions. In addition, one always learns a great deal of history from the stories, with a number of crimes thrown in to add tension and interest. The author does an excellent job smoothly filling in background from previous books, but I believe readers would derive more enjoyment from the books by reading the series in order. ( )
  nbmars | Dec 2, 2019 |
A brutally murdered Lord, known for his sexual proclivities, this man was never liked and is best off dead. A Russian sister of a noble who arrives early to England and soon makes the social scene alive with the buzz of rumors. The rich entertain in high style while the rag pickers who roam the soiled streets eck out a living, just barely. And amidst it all Sebastian St. Cyr. must unravel who killed the Lord when there are oh so many who would have loved to end his wicked life.

This is the first book of the series that I've read. I know there are many before this one.

Good, but not great, I won't read any others. ( )
  Whisper1 | Oct 6, 2019 |
A good story and mystery in this novel featuring Sebastian St. Cyr. Murdered nobles, secret affairs, and Russian visitors all play a role in this installment, and Sebastian is on the case as usual. This mystery series has really grown on me and is one of the few I read - this book maintained the atmosphere I love and it was a delight to spend more time with some of my favorite characters. I'll look forward to the next one! ( )
  wagner.sarah35 | Aug 10, 2019 |
A good read, and a disappointing read. This is book #14 of the Sebastian St. Cyr series, and I have read them all. I keep with it for a bunch of reasons: good writing, interesting period details, decent stories, characters I genuinely like, and unresolved mysteries surrounding Sebastian and Hero that have spanned multiple books.

But - the author rolls out characters I like only when Sebastian needs them for something; they’ve become props only. Towards the end of the book in one scene the body count goes way up for no good reason I could see except to prove Sebastian can kill people.

And Harris apparently thinks that vaguely alluding once to the multi book spanning mysteries, without moving one inch closer to answering them, is perfectly acceptable. Nope. Books you wait a year for are not like tv shows you see once a week. So 3 stars it is. ( )
  booklove1 | Aug 1, 2019 |

Belongs to Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 149,184,958 books! | Top bar: Always visible