The Night Visitors: A Novel by Carol Goodman

The Night Visitors: A Novel (edition 2019)

by Carol Goodman (Author)

Member:bayleaf

Alice and Oren: On the run
Davis: Abusive husband
Frank: The towns Sheriff
Caleb: Mattie’s ten-year-old brother that passed away 30 years ago

Well where to begin witht this review????? From the beginning I was hooked. Every chapter had an exciting secret you couldn’t help to reveal. The characters all unraveling under one another and the truth kept coming to light. I think Oren had a very unique gift in this story. He was just a boy looking to be loved in a way that his dad wasn’t going to give him. Until Alice came along and became that mother figure to him that he so dearly missed! Mattie was a strong character in this book and I did like the way that she handled EVERY situation she was put in. Davis, ehh, not much to say about him but that I didn’t care much about him. I loved how someone actually added my name into a book! Tamara, it wasn’t a big part. More like a sentence long, but still glad my name was mentioned! It was a great read. Can’t wait to read more by Carol Goodman!!

My Email:
Inwonderlandreading@gmail.com ( )
  MissTamaraDawn | Jun 4, 2019 |
Alice has taken young Oren and fled an abusive relationship. They arrive in Delphi, NY in the middle of a snowstorm and are taken in by Mattie, a social worker. Mattie breaks all her rules when she brings them home to her instead of a local shelter. But the bad weather makes easier to bring them home. She has the space for them, and Oren reminds Mattie of her brother who died over thirty years ago...

READ THE REST OF THE REVIEW OVER AT FRESH FICTION! ( )
  MaraBlaise | May 19, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Thanks to LibraryThing Early Reviewer for a copy of this book for honest review. Setting is Catskills NY. Alice is fleeing an abusive relationship with 10 year old Oren. Social worker, Mattie, takes them in her house for the night. Mattie has secrets of her own and each woman’s past stirs up threats. Strong characters and gripping suspense. Brings problems of domestic abuse to the the foreground and shows how community can help. Harrowing tale! ( )
  EadieB | Apr 29, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received this book in exchange for an honest review. I was drawn into this book from the beginning. I enjoyed the fist half of this book but then started losing interest based on to many obvious things and coincidences. I I wish the author would have skipped over parts but in an effort to tie everything together they ruined the story I had wanted so long to continue enjoying. Sometimes less is more. The story maybe a great one for others and it wasn’t by far the worst book I have ever read. ( )
  jjnaaucoin | Apr 19, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Thanks to the publisher, William Morrow via LibraryThing, for a copy of this novel in exchange for my honest opinion.

This is the second novel by Carol Goodman that I have read and enjoyed. The main subject of this one is a woman and child fleeing an abusive environment. The setting is in the Catskills in the middle of a blizzard which made for atmospheric scenes. Alice and her 10-year-old son, Oren, arrive in a small town with the hope of finding a safe place to hide from the abuser, Oren's father. To the rescue comes Mattie, a social worker, who is kind to those in need of help. There are some other interesting characters who helped to move the story along.

I liked the two different points-of-view by Alice and Mattie. There are plenty of secrets revealed as the novel progresses with some twists, information on the kinds of help women can get when faced with an abusive situation, Greek mythology, Mattie's creepy old house, plenty of Star Wars references, and even a bit of paranormal. ( )
  pegmcdaniel | Apr 15, 2019 |

A social worker living alone in a run-down house in the woods offers shelter to a young boy and a woman fleeing an abusive relationship before their lives are threatened by dangerous secrets.ALICE gets off a bus in the middle of a snowstorm in Delphi, NY. She is fleeing an abusive relationship and desperate to protect... OREN, ten years old, a major Star Wars fan and wise beyond his years. Though Alice is wary, Oren bonds nearly instantly with... MATTIE, a social worker in her fifties who lives in an enormous run-down house in the middle of the woods. Mattie lives alone and is always available, and so she is the person the hotline always calls when they need a late-night pickup. And although according to protocol Mattie should take Alice and Oren to a local shelter, instead she brings them home for the night. She has plenty of room, she says. What she doesn't say is that Oren reminds her of her little brother, who died thirty years ago at the age of ten. But Mattie isn't the only one withholding elements of the truth. Alice is keeping her own secrets. And as the snowstorm worsens around them, each woman's past will prove itself unburied, stirring up threats both within and without.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Carol Goodman's book The Night Visitors is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,564,999 books! | Top bar: Always visible