The Day That a Ran Away by B.C. R. Fegan

The Day That a Ran Away

by B.C. R. Fegan

223,660,000 (4.5)None
Recently added bytdrecker, TheLoopyLibrarian

What a cute ABC read and, of course, perfectly timed for the school year.

Master Jet (loved this name) must write the ABCs for his teacher. But he can't! When she asks him the reason, he explains what happened to each of the letters. Every single one has their own reasons for not being present. The question is...will the teacher accept his explanation?

This is a bright book, packed with tons of quirky silliness and imagination. The school scenes only take up a couple of pages...which in the beginning, I was missing a bit more to lead into the story...letting the rest of the tale concentrate on those frustrating ABCs. Each letter's predicament is described in a very short, two-line rhyme found somewhere on the illustration. This makes it great even for shorter attention spans and allows the illustrations to carry the book as much as the words.

The letters are easy to decipher while still holding a very individual, slightly monsterly appearance. Each one has a very distinct personality, insuring that young listeners are sure to find their personal favorites. Giggles are guaranteed as the pages pass. But that's very much the point. Although this book does help introduce younger listeners to the alphabet, the concentration remains on silliness and fun. It's the kind of book kids are sure to enjoy.

I received a complimentary copy and found the silliness combined with the alphabet so fun that I wanted to leave my honest thoughts. This one is getting a 4.5 stars, and I'm rounding up. ( )
  tdrecker | Sep 1, 2018 |
The Day That A Ran Away is a clever, colorful, and catchy concept book. The letters of the alphabet take the form of little monsters that do not cooperate with Jet and his homework. The rhythm and rhyme give it a sing-song feel, and the illustrations feature action and emotion that fit the story. My only concern is confusion over the target audience. Two concepts are put forth in this book: the alphabet and the importance of homework. The alphabet is taught in preschool or kindergarten where no homework is given. Homework is generally reserved for at least 1st graders who usually know their alphabet. So I’m not sure which readers to which this book would be most appealing. My guess is that kindergartners and beginning readers would enjoy and benefit from it the most. It would also make for a good read-aloud in the classroom or library. The presenter could take pauses to let the children guess the next letter or insert a rhyming word. It does make for a refreshing change from the usual alphabet concept book. The importance of completing your homework is a good message, but I wonder if it is really applicable to the audience most likely to experience this book. In any case, I would be very likely to share this book in story time.

In accordance with FTC guidelines, please note I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  TheLoopyLibrarian | Jul 21, 2018 |

B.C. R. Fegan is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,684,505 books! | Top bar: Always visible