VOX: The Sunday Times bestselling Richard &…

VOX: The Sunday Times bestselling Richard & Judy Book Club read that… (edition 2018)

by Christina Dalcher (Author)

On the day the government decrees that women are no longer allowed more than one hundred words per day, Dr. Jean McClellan is in denial. This can't happen here. Not in America. Not to her. This is just the beginning. Soon women are not permitted to hold jobs. Girls are not taught to read or write. Females no longer have a voice. Before, the average person spoke sixteen thousand words each day, but now women have only one hundred to make themselves heard. For herself, her daughter, and every woman silenced, Jean will reclaim her voice.… (more)
Member:yomisugi
Title:VOX: The Sunday Times bestselling Richard & Judy Book Club read that everyone's talking about!
Authors:Christina Dalcher (Author)
Info:HQ (2018), 337 pages
Collections:Your library, To read
Tags:Fiction, USA, Feminist, Thriller, Dystopia, Kindle

Vox by Christina Dalcher

The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood (vwinsloe)
    Native Tongue by Suzette Haden Elgin (2wonderY)
    2wonderY: Women's right have been removed. They develop a private language. This is a minor classic.

English (63)  Piratical (1)  German (1)  All languages (65)
Just loved this from start to finish ( )
  karenshann | Dec 31, 2019 |
Monsters aren't born, ever. They're made, piece by piece and limb by limb, artificial creations of madmen who, like the misguided Frankenstein, always think they know better."

Haunting. So god damn haunting. It's been a while since I felt this scared and uneasy reading a book. It is important, not just for reflections over how oppressive and dangerous misogny not only can be but is and how the alarming growth of the alt-right, wether they justify it by religion or biology or something entirely different, should be but also the fact that these monsters aren't born, they're created - it's a social thing that can easily be prevented if we just decide to teach men to look at women as, y'know... not just equals but actual human beings.

I've seen a lot of reviews saying this book is dangerous for "saying all Christians are bad". Not once throughout the book did I feel it was aimed at Christianity specificallly, but rather how religion can be used to by extremists to get the support of the general public. It's not odd, to me, that Dalcher chose Christian extremism as the US is even internationally (in)famous for its devoted Christian population that permeates pretty much very level of the American society... but it's also not weird considering the relevance of just religious extremism - wether it's Christians in the US, catholics in Italy or Daesh in the Middle East; but also countries such as Saudi Arabia or Iran.

Not only is it a haunting, terrific story; Dalcher's writing is engaging and her characters are complex and very much their own. ( )
  autisticluke | Nov 14, 2019 |
I blew through this book. The first half was so intense, at one point I had to put it down so I could relax. The atmosphere created is just really enthralling - hopeless, angry, stark, powerless.... Full on five star, all the way. The last thirty or so pages felt less epic, for want of a better word, than the preceding. More individual thriller compared to the society-wide dystopia of the beginning. I wonder if it might be more effective and keep the same punch-level throughout if they weren't able to save the day and things progressed through the completely oppressing desired end. That might have had the end be as impactful as the first three-quarters.

A few quibbles. There were a few weird turns of phrase that took me out of the moment (though it was easy to get back into it). "Oil-drop eyes" was used twice which is at least two times too many. Also, "black tears" of brewing coffee made me roll my eyes. Dramatic much? And the climax was a tad weird. The whole coming-out-of-sedation thing was confusing. When drilling a hole in a potentially violent subject, wouldn't you want to keep the anesthesia going until you are done and ready for them to wake up? I mean, I'm pretty sure my vet even does that for my cat when they are having their teeth cleaned. Also, a syringe to the neck is not near as intimidating as a knife. And what would have been the point of doing the surgery on Morgan? Other than just vengeance, it wouldn't help their situation at all. But in situations like this where I am enjoying something, I find it is better to just keep going and try to ignore any plot holes until the end.

Anyway, I enjoyed the first half the most (6 stars, amazing) and the end let me down just the tiniest bit (more 4 star) but still a good book that I enjoyed reading and brought up some good things to think about. ( )
  Aug3Zimm | Nov 12, 2019 |
Oh. My. Goodness.
You must read this book.
Enough said. ( )
  jtsolakos | Oct 26, 2019 |
Holy crap. This book is terrifying. Especially in today's political climate. Doesn't feel so speculative so much as a glimpse into a possible future. I have already bought three copies and plan to hand them out to my friends.

Women only have 100 words a day before the counter on their wrists begin to shock them per word. But why would they need more words than that? They can't work, only are schooled in the arts that they might need to take care of their families, or will work in a camp unless some male in their family can take them in. What could a woman possibly have to say that could be so important? ( )
1 vote bookwormteri | Sep 24, 2019 |
Subtlety is not a concern here, and the theme of “wake up!” is hammered home so vigorously that it can feel hectoring. “Not your fault,” a man says to Jean. “But it is,” she thinks. “My fault started two decades ago, the first time I didn’t vote … was too busy to go on [a march].” It’s of a piece with the preposterous setup, the payoff-heavy writing and the casual appropriation of some of humanity’s most heinous instruments of oppression – labour camps, electrified restraints – in the service of a thriller. If Dalcher wants to scare people into waking up, she would do better to send them back to the history books, rather than forward into an overblown, hastily imagined future.

In memory of Charlie Jones linguist, professor, friend.
If anyone told me I could bring down the president, and the Pure Movement, and that incompetent little shit Morgan LeBron in a week’s time, I wouldn’t believe them.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,359,033 books! | Top bar: Always visible