THE BINDING (201 POCHE) by Collins Bridget

THE BINDING (201 POCHE) (edition 2020)

by Collins Bridget (Author)

"In the tradition of Sarah Waters, Helene Wecker, and Jessie Burton, an atmospheric and mystery-laden historical novel set within a magical world where books are not stories but the repository of individual lives"--
Member:Librarianin3B
Title:THE BINDING (201 POCHE)
Authors:Collins Bridget (Author)
Info:HARPER COLLINS (2020), 448 pages

The Binding by Bridget Collins

English (71)  Dutch (3)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (77)
This was so amazing. The writing, the concept, the characters, all so beautiful, so unique and so real.
I wish there was another book in this series.
I want for Emmett to use the powers of a binder for the better. I want him to fight against illegal business of selling of books.
I want to know more about Emmett and Lucian. I want to see them live their life and grow together. I want to see them live in their world of prejudices. I want to see them be proud of their love for each other. I want their families to accept them. Although that is doubtful in Darnay's case.
This is the best thing about an open ending. It leaves the reader to decide on the future of the characters.
My version includes a happily ever after and long years together ahead. ( )
  VipashaAiyer | Sep 28, 2021 |
Well, this was another WOW, not what I was expecting book!

Emmett Farmer is just that-a farmer. Until one day a letter arrives and he is summoned to apprentice with a Bookbinder. Emmett lives in a world where books are shunned, as every book is a memory (or two, or three) of a real person. Emmett has always been forbidden to read books and now his parents insist he takes the apprenticeship. He cannot understand why they are making him go.

Only those born to Bind may become Binders....and not all of them are good people.

I will admit, the story was a little slow in the beginning and it also felt as though the author was telling me more than I really needed or wanted to know, about a lot of characters. As the story built, I was enraptured with the tale, caught up in the lives of everyone and in awe of the writer. I am hoping she left the tale opened-ended to write a sequel.

Although this book is pegged fantasy, for me it was more magical realism-a genre I usually do not care for. Do not shy away from the book because you do not like fantasy. There is something you might call magic, entwined in the story, but that is not the soul of it. It is a coming of age story, a mystery, and a beautiful piece of work.

This is [a:Bridget Collins|14717647|Bridget Collins|https://images.gr-assets.com/authors/1548771665p2/14717647.jpg] first foray into Adult Fiction. I am looking forward to her next.

Content Warning There is sexual abuse, and dark content throughout. ( )
  JBroda | Sep 24, 2021 |
I've had a bit of time to reflect on this book now, and gather my thoughts on it. Ultimately, I think that the back half of the story just didn't play out in the way that I thought it would-- which is not necessary to make an enjoyable book, but in this case led to something I found a bit unsatisfying.

I was definitely enthralled by the first half/two-thirds of the book. I had no problem with the slow pace, and found the gradual unraveling of Emmett's circumstances and understanding of the world fascinating. Everything at Seredith's cottage was hypnotically atmospheric, and every revelation in the second third of the book was well-executed and made me want to go back and read from the beginning with fresh eyes and new understanding.

The third part of the book, however, suffered from the fact that all of the twists and surprises had played out-- the main tension and mystery was drained from the story, with nothing quite as powerful to replace it. Also, while I thought the exploration of bookbinding culture in the city was interesting, I felt our time spent with Seredith at the beginning made a promise to explore a world that was then abandoned unceremoniously.

But I'm being too down on the book. In general I really enjoyed it, and there were many parts I found incredibly moving. Unfortunately, I felt that the book petered out a bit rather than continuing to build. ( )
  misslevel | Sep 22, 2021 |
I FINALLY finished this. It took me a while because part one was just so... not interesting. It really wasn't giving me anything. From Part two onwards, the story picks up and becomes so much more enjoyable, almost entirely negating part one, to me, or negating its length. I might write up a full review on my blog at www.coffeeandtrainspotting.wordpress.com at some point so go give me a follow if you're interested! ( )
  SarahRita | Aug 11, 2021 |
Dear me why did I bother. Awful. A mixture of sub-Dickens, a tiny dash of Tolkien and a huge dollop of Mills and Boon. A love story tied up in ribbons of normalised witchcraft. Overlong, over sentimental, lacking in proper research into the book binding of the title. Never again. ( )
1 vote Steve38 | Jun 20, 2021 |
“The Binding” succeeds in creating the magic it proposes: the experience of memory returning, a rush of recollection that can change the whole world, if only for one person at a time — or sometimes two.
added by KayCliff | editNew York Times, Naomi Novik (May 8, 2019)

The Binding is an unpretentious work of escapist fiction. The morality of the book is simple; the good are essentially noble and their enemies unambiguously wicked. The vaguely antiquated setting could as easily be Westeros or Hardy’s Wessex. At the heart of the novel is a love story that develops along a familiar trajectory, from immediate dislike to inexplicable flutters of the heart to full infatuation with its feeling of being “breathless and dizzy, as if my blood was too thin”. When the protagonists are happy, it’s spring outdoors. When things go wrong, a wet snow falls.... The Binding is a kissing novel par excellence, and on this level, it is like a wonderful meal made from a few simple ingredients: the feeling in your chest when you hold someone in your arms for the first time; the sight of a host of bluebells. In recent years, the state of the world has threatened to make us forget the simple pleasures of kisses and bluebells and thick novels that tell stories of heartbreak. Here is a book to help us remember.
added by KayCliff | editThe Guardian, Sandra Newman (Jan 4, 2019)

Bridget Collinsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Prekopp, CarlNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Nick
When the letter came I was out in the fields, binding up my last sheaf of wheat with hands that were shaking so much I could hardly tie the knot.

Books that bind mem'ries
A forbidden love affair
Wipe away the truth
(passion4reading)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Bridget Collins's book The Binding was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,215,561 books! | Top bar: Always visible