When All is Said: The Number One Irish…

When All is Said: The Number One Irish bestselling phenomenon (original 2019; edition 2019)

by Anne Griffin (Author)

If you had to pick five people to sum up your life, who would they be? If you were to raise a glass to each of them, what would you say? And what would you learn about yourself, when all is said? At the bar of a grand hotel in a small Irish town sits 84-year-old Maurice Hannigan. He's alone, as usual, though tonight is anything but. Pull up a stool and charge your glass, because Maurice is finally ready to tell his story. Over the course of this evening, he will raise five toasts to the five people who have meant the most to him. Through these stories - of unspoken joy and regret, a secret tragedy kept hidden, a fierce love that never found its voice - the life of one man will be powerful and poignantly laid bare. Beautifully heart-warming and powerfully felt, the voice of Maurice Hannigan will stay with you long after all is said and done.… (more)
Member:MyOwnWorld
Title:When All is Said: The Number One Irish bestselling phenomenon
Authors:Anne Griffin (Author)
Info:Sceptre (2019), 272 pages

When All Is Said by Anne Griffin (2019)

Kobo/LFPL
  mikeemcg | Jun 28, 2020 |
A sad account of an old Irish man's last day. It was an all right read. I cried. But is by no means an uplifting book! ( )
  KimD66 | Apr 13, 2020 |
If this story had been absolutely awful, I probably would have still listened to the whole thing just for the joy of listening to narrator Niall Buggy's voice. But the story wasn't horrible, it was really quite wonderful and touching. An old man sitting in a bar, a curmudgeon especially to his son, reminisces . He is vengeful and resentful, and I liked him nevertheless. This book touches my heart, both the written words and the narration. ( )
  TooBusyReading | Mar 24, 2020 |
Oh my goodness, what an absolutely breathtaking book; I could honestly have read several hundred more pages of Maurice's story that is so flawlessly written by Anne Griffin. I simply couldn't put it down, despite knowing that I was hurtling towards an inevitably heartbreaking ending.

I initially thought of Maurice as a bit of a grumpy old man; he's a bit like a conker - rather prickly on the outside but with a smooth and polished heart. As Maurice shares his story, by raising a glass to 5 people he has loved throughout his life, we get to know him inside and out. I was actually very surprised to find, as the tears rolled down my face, that Maurice had burrowed his way into my heart, and not just because we share tastes where drinks are concerned. So it was with both tears of sadness and joy that I turned the final page and paused to catch my breath, raising my own virtual glass to Maurice.

I am absolutely stunned that When All is Said is Anne Griffin's debut novel. The writing is so vivid and multi-dimensional that I felt as if I was sitting at the bar listening to Maurice's story. As a fan of Irish alcoholic beverages, I do admit to being intrigued to see what drink Maurice would choose next and I was tickled pink that he chose to have a drop of my favourite Irish Whiskey, Bushmills. This is a story I will never forget and every time I have a drop of Guinness or Bushmills I will raise a toast to my old pal Maurice Hannigan.

Anne Griffin is a natural storyteller and I have no doubt that her beautiful and breathtaking debut, When All is Said, is destined to be a worldwide bestseller. I heartily recommend this novel and even if you don't read it with a pint of Guinness or a drop of Bushmills you will still feel as if you're sitting at the bar with Maurice. Sláinte!

I chose to read an ARC and this is my honest and unbiased opinion. ( )
  Michelle.Ryles | Mar 9, 2020 |
Lovely book. Will be enjoyed by many. ( )
  shazjhb | Feb 26, 2020 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,782,494 books! | Top bar: Always visible