Bloom by Kevin Panetta

Bloom (edition 2019)

by Kevin Panetta (Author), Savanna Ganucheau (Illustrator)

Now that high school is over, Ari is dying to move to the big city with his ultra-hip band, if he can just convince his dad to let him quit their struggling family bakery. Though he loved working there as a kid, Ari cannot fathom a life wasting away his days over rising doughs and hot ovens. But in the midst of interviewing candidates for his replacement, Ari meets Hector, an easy-going guy who loves baking as much as Ari wants to escape it. As they become closer over batches of breads, love begins to bloom . . . that is, if Ari doesn't ruin everything.Writer Kevin Panetta and artist Savanna Ganucheau concoct a delicious recipe of intricately illustrated baking scenes and blushing young love, where the choices we make can have terrible consequences, but the people who love us can help us grow.… (more)
Member:wringblue
Title:Bloom
Authors:Kevin Panetta (Author)
Other authors:Savanna Ganucheau (Illustrator)
Info:First Second (2019), 368 pages
Collections:Wishlist

Work Information

Bloom by Kevin Panetta (Author)

apparently everyone either absolutely loved it, or absolutely hated it. and i don't know that i can personally justify either extreme?

on one hand, its not perfect. at times it's a little choppy, it feels very drawn out the first two thirds and then the whole conflict and resolution happens too quickly. ari can be frustrating as a character, as well, but i feel like he redeems himself in the end. and overall, my main sensation is that it's more of an overlook or a concept than a fully fleshed out story.

but also- its okay. you know? its a cute, light graphic novel that won't take more than an hour of your life. it's sweet and it has good vibes and it was just what i wanted on this cloudy afternoon. and aint that what really matters? ( )
  ssuprnova | Nov 3, 2021 |
I can see what Panetta was going for: sometimes you and your friends grow apart, and sometimes you're left behind as your friends move on.

But while Hector is wonderful (mature and passionate and kind and sweet), Ari is... not. He's self-absorbed and whiny and spineless. When his friends make fun of Hector (in Hector's hearing!) he says nothing to them, and when Hector brings it up that it bothered him, Ari still does nothing about it! Why does Hector put up with any of this?

And while I don't necessarily mind it, what's up with all the monochromatic color palettes lately? ( )
  Elna_McIntosh | Sep 29, 2021 |
Ari is dying to move to the city with his band now that high school is over... if only he can persuade his dad to let him quit the family bakery. He loved working there as a kid, but now that he's older, he can't see himself doing that for the rest of his life. Upon interviewing candidates for his replacement, Ari meets Hector, an easygoing guy who loves baking. As they become closer and closer over the rising bread, love is on the horizon... as long as Ari doesn't ruin it.

First off, I love the blue color pallet for this novel. It's so pretty!

Secondly, poor Ari and things messing up on him. I know how you feel! And not knowing what you exactly want to do with your life - I still don't know! Third: Cameron is a jerk.

Overall, this is a cutesy, gay romance in a bakery that will put a smile on your face. ( )
  oldandnewbooksmell | Sep 24, 2021 |
Cute art but I found the central relationship lacking as well as the book missing a real examination of what the lead character wanted. ( )
  Terence_Johnson | Aug 21, 2021 |
A solid 3.5.

Very cute story. Lots of baking which made me really hungry. Ari can be clueless but he and Hector together are adorable. ( )
  ksahitya1987 | Aug 20, 2021 |

Panetta, KevinAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ganucheau, SavannaIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,586,887 books! | Top bar: Always visible