Harvest of Secrets by Ellen Crosby

Harvest of Secrets

by Ellen Crosby

144990,176 (4)9

When workers discover a skull buried in a storage shed on Lucie Montgomery's property, she calls in the sheriff. However, the murder victim lived in the mid-19th century. A glimpse in the family Bible reveals no death date appears next to Susannah Montgomery and additional evidence gleaned points in that direction. Although Lucie recently took a DNA test, the archaeologist working the case wants Lucie's DNA in the same format as the bone sample's DNA. While she spit for the test that revealed an unknown half-brother whom she gets to know in the narrative, she does a cheek swab for the match to the bones. In the meantime, a hurricane is headed to Virginia, and a French winemaker working a neighboring vineyard turns up dead. Suspicion falls to an immigrant whose secateurs are found near the body. He left his documents in his car where someone broke in and stole them. Lucie suspects an attempt to frame him. Miguel,however, ran, making him look guilty. Lucie finally gets around to solving the crime with the sheriff thankfully not far behind. The murderer's identity was obvious to me early on, but it took Lucie forever to figure it out. I liked the historical/genealogical parts far better than the present-day mystery. I listened to the audiobook narrated by Christine Marshall. I nearly abandoned it early on because the accent was wrong for the region. She dropped r's as New Englanders do rather than pronouncing them (and adding a few) as Virginians often do. However, she improved as the story went along. It made me think someone corrected her but that they didn't go back and fix the first couple of hours of reading. This first venture into this series came from reading a review mentioning the genealogical angle. I may go back and read earlier installments. If I do, I will read them unless the narrator differs. ( )
  thornton37814 | Jan 18, 2019 |
Workers come across a skull while clearing the shed near the family graveyard. Bones by a graveyard not so unusual, right? But it's determined that these are from the Civil War era and DNA confirms that it is a member of the Montgomerie clan. Luicie decides that she needs to figure who this ancestor was and why they weren't officially buried in the family graveyard. As she investigates this historical mystery a current day mystery develops on a parallel line. Absolutely fascinating on both sides! Love this series! ( )
  cyderry | Dec 13, 2018 |
Couldn't put it down. A body is discovered buried in a shed next to family cementery and it's determined it dates back to around the time of the Civil War. Lucie starts researching her family history to find out who it might be. There's a second storyline with a hurricane coming and the harvesting needs to get done and Lucie asks her neighbor if she can borrow one of their workers and discovers that that thier winemaker has been murdered. Lots of suspects and lots of things going on before all is resolved. ( )
  Kathy89 | Nov 22, 2018 |
As I've said about previous installments, this series just keeps getting better and better. The murder mystery gets light treatment in this one; the focus is on several intersecting stories about protagonist Lucie Montgomery and her family. When Lucie's staff find a skull on her property, she feels compelled to understand whose it was and why it was there. The answers are fascinating and have an interesting modern parallel. We learn more about several of Lucie's neighbors as well. Great stuff. ( )
  Jim53 | Nov 13, 2018 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,557,045 books! | Top bar: Always visible