At the Wolf's Table: A Novel by Rosella…

At the Wolf's Table: A Novel (edition 2019)

by Rosella Postorino (Author), Leah Janeczko (Translator)

Member:ees4
Title:At the Wolf's Table: A Novel
Authors:Rosella Postorino (Author)
Other authors:Leah Janeczko (Translator)
Info:Flatiron Books (2019), Edition: Translation, 288 pages
Collections:Read, Read but unowned
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Fiction, Historical Fiction, Read

At the Wolf's Table: A Novel by Rosella Postorino

Started with an interesting premise, but execution left much to be desired. At the end if just jumped past a significant event and explained afterwards so that I had to go back and figure what the heck was going on. Disappointing. ( )
  Jen-the-Librarian | Mar 2, 2019 |
I was a bit disappointed with the way it was written and the entire plot of the book wasn’t really what I was expecting.

Perhaps it is because this was translated from its’ original language (Italian) so there may be several instances of the writing being ‘lost in translation’. I just found the writing style filled with so much ‘fluff’. Fluff in a sense where there was so much rambling and wordiness. This is where it feels like the author is trying to make the story more ‘lyrical and poetic’ and you’re left with a very slow drawn out plot, a very uninteresting main character, and it feels like you’re watching one of those black and white art movies where some parts just don’t make sense. I was left after some chapters wondering what was I reading and why was this even in the story. It didn’t make sense and it’s taking up space in the story where there should be more interesting things mentioned.

The chapters were sometimes written out of order, there were moments of how Rosa and Gregor met and their first moments of marriage, then it shifts back to Rosa being taste tester for Hitler. Then it goes back even further to Rosa’s childhood, or her past moments in Berlin, and then as the book ends there’s more time jumping. It’s not cohesive and it doesn’t let the plot flow. It also makes you wonder what the purpose of it was. So if it weren’t for this, the plot would have been more smooth and easier to read.

The plot was flat and I was expecting a lot more. There were key moments in the plot where there were moments of interest. Such as the bombing of the Wolf’s Lair, and Ziegler’s confessions of ‘working’ in Eastern Europe. It was things like these that saved the story from becoming a did not finish for me.

The characters in the book were uninteresting and bland. Rosa wasn’t much likeable. I rather preferred Elfriede because she had more character and substance to her. Other than Elfriede though, the other characters don’t really stand out much. The plot including Elfriede really stood out to me. Unfortunately it was over rather quickly.

I wish I could like this book better, but I couldn’t. The writing was too much for me, the plot was flat and lacked flow. I wish knowing the outcome of some of these characters, as it would have satiated my curiosity and would have made a good amount of closure in the plot and characters. Sad to say, this was a disappointing read for me. ( )
  sensitivemuse | Feb 4, 2019 |
*I received a copy of this book from the publisher.*

This book highlights the lives of Hitler's food tasters, a team of women who were paid to eat (and risk being poisoned) as a violent war raged across Europe. Rosa Sauer is living alone with her in-laws after her husband has gone to war when she was recruited to be a taste tester. She insists she's not a Nazi, but her work protects the leader of Germany. Throughout the novel, the characters explore questions about choice, love, and what one can and cannot do to protect loved ones. As in many World War II novels, the answers to these questions are sad and tragic. This novel is interesting as it engages a subject matter that is lesser known, but I do wish the story had been concluded differently. ( )
  wagner.sarah35 | Dec 19, 2018 |
From 1941 through 1944, Adolf Hitler spent nearly 800 days in Wolfsschanze, his first eastern front military headquarters. The complex, hidden in the Masurian woods near Gierłoż, Poland, remained undetected by the Allies throughout the war.

Because the Führer was paranoid that his enemies would try to poison him, it was decided that everything he would eat would first be sampled by others. Fifteen women from the town of Gross-Partsch (whose mayor was a devoted Nazi) were selected to be the human "guinea pigs." ...more ( )
  K_T_C | Dec 15, 2018 |
This is an ARC by an international bestselling Italian author. The novel's story is centered on the young German women who were forced to be Hitler's food tasters at his mountain retreat, Wolfsschanze (the Wolf's Lair), they were the expendable people that protected Hitler from any poisoning plots.
The author had been in the process of contacting the last remaining food taster, who was in her 90s, when, unfortunately, the woman died. So Postorino had to research her novel through other methods. There was much of the book was very interesting, but the drama of the lead character's emotional journey was stylistically too dramatic for my tastes. ( )
  jphamilton | Nov 27, 2018 |

Publisher Annotation: Germany, 1943: Twenty-six-year-old Rosa Sauer?s parents are gone, and her husband Gregor is far away, fighting on the front lines of WWII. Impoverished and alone, she makes the fateful decision to leave war-torn Berlin to live with her in-laws in the countryside, thinking she?ll find refuge there. But one morning, the SS come to tell her she has been conscripted to be one of Hitler?s tasters: twice a day, she and nine other women go to his secret headquarters, the Wolf?s Lair, to eat his meals before he does. Forced to eat what might kill them, the tasters begin to divide into The Fanatics, those loyal to Hitler, and the women like Rosa who insist they aren?t Nazis, even as they risk their lives every day for Hitler?s. As secrets and resentments grow, this unlikely sisterhood reaches its own dramatic climax and the war is worsening outside. As the months pass, it becomes increasingly clear that Rosa and everyone she knows are on the wrong side of history. 288pp., 75K… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 137,367,939 books! | Top bar: Always visible