The Storyteller's Secret: A Novel by Sejal…

The Storyteller's Secret: A Novel (edition 2018)

by Sejal Badani (Author)

4571943,009 (3.93)12
An Amazon Charts, USA Today, and Washington Post bestseller. From the bestselling author of Trail of Broken Wings comes an epic story of the unrelenting force of love, the power of healing, and the invincible desire to dream. Nothing prepares Jaya, a New York journalist, for the heartbreak of her third miscarriage and the slow unraveling of her marriage in its wake. Desperate to assuage her deep anguish, she decides to go to India to uncover answers to her family's past. Intoxicated by the sights, smells, and sounds she experiences, Jaya becomes an eager student of the culture. But it is Ravi--her grandmother's former servant and trusted confidant--who reveals the resilience, struggles, secret love, and tragic fall of Jaya's pioneering grandmother during the British occupation. Through her courageous grandmother's arrestingly romantic and heart-wrenching story, Jaya discovers the legacy bequeathed to her and a strength that, until now, she never knew was possible.… (more)
Member:lscherr77
Title:The Storyteller's Secret: A Novel
Authors:Sejal Badani (Author)
Info:Lake Union Publishing (2018), 370 pages
Rating:****1/2

Work Information

The Storyteller's Secret by Sejal Badani

English (17)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (19)
A grieving young woman whose mental health is at risk, since experiencing 3 miscarriages, decides to visit her mother's native village in India. Her mother refuses to go, and her father encourages her to go. Turns out the grandmother she never knew and the mother her mother never knew was an excellent storyteller. ( )
  rolnickj | Oct 27, 2021 |
Nice story. I, however, will be a dissenting review. I think this book would best be classified as best for YA readers. I like my prose more complex and I do not necessarily appreciate themes being handed to me on a silver platter. Call me crazy, but I like to work a little harder intellectually to grasp the meaning in a novel. ( )
  hemlokgang | Sep 4, 2021 |
I thought this was a terrific book. It told the story of a woman who lived in the U.S. She and her husband had trouble having a baby. She had multiple miscarriages after IVF treatments. Her mother was from India and was very reserved so she knew nothing about her mother's upbringing. She decided to travel to India to the small village where her mother was raised when she learned that her grandfather, a man she had never met and about whom her mother never spoke, was dying, so she could try to understand her mother. She discovered a complex story about her grandparents and her mother. Really inspiring story. A little too apple-pie at the end because of course she resolves her relationship with her mum and her husband and they choose to adopt a child from India which solves the children problem. ( )
  CarolBurrows | Jan 3, 2021 |
Overall, a good story though somewhat predicable. I had a hard time with the writing initially, a bit too wooden, but eventually curiosity took over and drew me on. I really liked the glimpses of India, I've got a long-held fascination with India and its culture and history, so this was the most interesting part of the book for me.
As to the relationships between the characters, I found them to be a bit cliché and the emotions somehow 'soap operaish'. Still, an interesting enough read though nowhere near the calibre of Arundathi Roy's God of Small Things. ( )
  wordbyword | Oct 15, 2020 |
Badani beautifully weaves together the stories of Jaya, who has goes to India to escape heartbreak and to make a connection with her extended family. As she learns about the sorrows of her grandmother's life, a life that would not allow her to be with the man she loved, Jaya also ultimately learns the reason that her own mother has always been so distant with her. Badani shows us not only the way in which a society's strictures can ruin lives, but also that family secrets can cause great harm. Jaya's discovery of the truth can help her to heal not only her own wounds, but those of her mother. ( )
  RebeccaDHarlingue | Feb 18, 2020 |
To Benee Knauer
I am forever grateful to you for your friendship,
guidance, and support,
and for always believing in this story. You are truly one
of a kind.
Thank you, my dearest friend.
Twenty percent of women miscarry.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,299,506 books! | Top bar: Always visible