Spy School Goes South by Stuart Gibbs

Spy School Goes South (edition 2019)

by Stuart Gibbs (Author)

Series: Spy School (6)

1193184,674 (3.92)1
Thirteen-year-old spy in training Ben Ripley is sent to Mexico to try to thwart the evil organization, SPYDER--the CIA's main enemy.
Member:AdahMary
Title:Spy School Goes South
Authors:Stuart Gibbs (Author)
Info:Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers (2019), Edition: Reprint, 384 pages
Collections:Beach House, Your library

Work Information

Spy School Goes South by Stuart Gibbs

This time Ben and Erica go after SPYDER in Mexico. Murray tries to ingratiate himself into their good graces. And Erica needs to call in back-up.

I loved this story. This series just keeps getting better. The junior spies learn how to stand on their own two feet without having adults helping them. They do well. Better than the adults. Truths are revealed. I went along for the ride and enjoyed every minute of it. So much happens. So many things are overcome. I liked their inventiveness as well as Ben thinking back on his and Erica's past and realizing he and she are at cross purposes and he's not sure he cares. Ben's thought processes are interesting but without Ben they would not have figured out what SPYDER was up to and could not, as they always have, thwart them. It's not with finesse but it works.

Looking forward to reading the next book. ( )
  Sheila1957 | May 3, 2021 |
A fun series for middle grade fans with a serious message at the end. This time the spy school students are in the Mexican Rivera to fight their nemesis Spyder agents but what they need to save is really the entire planet. ( )
  Rachael_SJSU | Jul 11, 2020 |
This is the sixth book in the series, but that doesn't mean it needs to be read that way. I've only read a couple in the series, not in any particular order or anything, and it hasn't caused any troubles with diving into any of the books. This one isn't any different.

Ben is head south thanks to a tip from double-spy Murray as to where the secret base of the evil organization SPYDER might be. He and his friends/colleagues soon find themselves in a heap more trouble than they ever expected. Stuck in the exotic jungle of Mexico, they must fight for to survive not only when they come up against SPYDER but with the wilderness around them.

I enjoyed this read from the very start to the very end. It's fast paced, constantly hitting with unexpected surprises, and building tension in every way possible. Which means tons of trouble for Ben. Every moment brings something new, but it layers together wonderfully and lets the story build and build. There isn't much time for character development or emotions, but considering this is the sixth adventure, that's fine. The only thing which irritated and felt a little out of place was the romance, and a triangle at that.

Friends of spy stories, action, mystery, adventure and all with a bit of humor sprinkled in, are going to enjoy every minute of this tale.

I received a complimentary copy and was so caught up in the adventure that I wanted to share my honest thoughts. ( )
  tdrecker | Oct 29, 2018 |

Belongs to Series

In memory of Suzanne,

my incredible, wonderful, amazing wife
"Stop that man!"

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,535,101 books! | Top bar: Always visible