Smoke and Summons by Charlie N. Holmberg

Smoke and Summons

by Charlie N. Holmberg

Series: Numina (1)

"As a human vessel for an ancient spirit, Sandis lives no ordinary life. At the command of her master, she can be transformed against her will into his weapon--a raging monster summoned to do his bidding. Unlike other vessels, Sandis can host extremely powerful spirits, but hosting such creatures can be fatal. To stay alive, she must run. And in a city fueled by smoke and corruption, she finds a surprising ally. A cunning thief for hire, Rone owns a rare device that grants him immortality for one minute every day--a unique advantage that will come in handy in Sandis's fight for freedom. But Sandis's master knows how powerful she is. He's determined to get her back, and he has the manpower to find her, wherever she runs. Now, to outwit her pursuers, Sandis must put all her trust in Rone and his immortal device. For her master has summoned more than mere men to hunt her down..."--Jacket flap.… (more)

3.5 out of 5 stars ( )
  sofiasbooks563 | Oct 8, 2019 |
I hate to do this, but I'm giving up on this book. I was really excited to get it through Kindle First, as Charlie is a local author and I've met her. She's really nice and I liked some of her previous books. But this one was a mess. I didn't care about the characters and I had no idea where the plot was going. It was just lots of running away and almost getting caught. Very boring. I feel like she always starts with a great idea for a plot, but the execution never lived up to that. Maybe her next book will be better. ( )
  cmbohn | Apr 22, 2019 |
Smoke and Summons: Numia Book 1
by the great Charlie N. Holmberg
2019
47 North
4.0 / 5.0

Charlie N. Holmberg has the unique ability to build worlds....her imagination and creativity in developing and bringing to life other worlds of mystery and intrigue and action is exceptional. This series is no exception.
This series, Numia, takes place in a city built on the ruins of an ancient city that thrived before another religion destroyed it. It hold many artifacts and magic from itś past.

Sandis, a young woman being held by a man underground with cruel intentions and occult practices. On her back is a distinguishing tattoo of a stallion engulfed in flame. It is the mark of a demon, Ireth, who when called upon gives her the power of fire. Her captor, Kazan, uses her body as a vessel into which he can summon and control demons, called Numens, to help him carry out his acts of murder and evil discord. When Sandis sees Kazan kill another vessel while trying to summon his power, Sandis escapes and flees. She meets up with the Rone, a thief, who finds himself caught up in Sandisś mayhem. Rone has a magical article, an amarinth that makes him immortal for one minute when used, but can only be used once in 24 hours. Roan and Sandis set out to find what Sandis sees as her only hope, a distant relative she does not know, Talbur. Can he help her....will he help her....who is he?
Holmberg creates another world with interesting characters. She injects uber non-stop action. magic, occult powers and a magical object that make this a powerful, fascinating and captivating story.
I loved this, Book 2 is already on my shelf.
Recommended book and author. I was s thrilled to hear another of her series, The Paper Magician is not on option with Walt Disney Studios.
Bravo Holmberg!! Another Winner!!
Thank you to 47 North and Charlie N. Holmberg for this E-book for a fair and honest review.
#netgalley #SmokeAndSummons ( )
  over.the.edge | Feb 8, 2019 |
To my mom, who fostered both my creativity and my craziness.
Sandis had several reasons for staying.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,740,105 books! | Top bar: Always visible