A Prince on Paper (2019)

by Alyssa Cole

Series: Reluctant Royals (3)

15715134,322 (4)1
Named one of Amazon's Best Romances of May! The Reluctant Royals series returns with a good girl searching for the life that's not too big, and not too small, and the bad boy prince who might be just right for her... Nya Jerami fled Thesolo for the glitz and glamour of NYC but discovered that her Prince Charming only exists in her virtual dating games. When Nya returns home for a royal wedding, she accidentally finds herself up close and personal--in bed--with the real-life celebrity prince who she loves to hate. For Johan von Braustein, the red-headed step-prince of Liechtienbourg, acting as paparazzi bait is a ruse that protects his brother--the heir to the throne--and his own heart. When a royal referendum threatens his brother's future, a fake engagement is the perfect way to keep the cameras on him. Nya and Johan both have good reasons to avoid love, but as desires are laid bare behind palace doors, they must decide if their fake romance will lead to a happily-ever-after.… (more)

I have loved every book in this series and I'm incredibly sad to say goodbye to my friends. A Prince on Paper is the third in the series but there are 5 all together when you add in the novellas. In this installment, we get Johan and Nya's story and oh what a story it was.

Nya hasn't set foot in Thesolo since book one so returning for Ledi's wedding and the fallout of her father's actions was nerve-racking to say the least. She wasn't expecting to find Johan, the playboy step-prince on her plane and the two do not get off to a good start.

Through a series of mishaps, the two end up fake engaged and returning to Johan's home of Lichtenstein before a major vote on the future of the country's government. Nya turns in to Johan's biggest asset and of course real romance blossoms.

Minor spoilers in the next paragraph.

I enjoyed watching the two learn how to navigate relationships with feelings as well as the intricacies of being in the public eye. Johan's little brother Lukas was a wonderful addition to the story and I really want them to have their own book. I loved how Cole handled the issue of a non-binary royal who had to basically educate an entire country, including his family about what that means.

I did not care for the way Cole ended the arc of Nya's father though I sort of understand it. I think I just wanted more revenge than actually happened but it was fitting for the character.

My favorite part other than everything about Lukas was Johan and Nya themselves. While not my favorite couple in the series (that belongs to Regina and Gus), they are a definite close second. I highly recommend this entire series. It's become a favorite and one I will re-read again and again. ( )
  Stacie-C | May 8, 2021 |
Review TBA. ( )
  sarahlh | Mar 6, 2021 |
Nifty. ( )
  wetdryvac | Mar 2, 2021 |
DNF.
Not for me.
  izzied | Oct 29, 2020 |
This might not have felt quite as fun for me as the others in the series, because it deals with harder-hitting topics, but that doesn’t mean it wasn’t still as enjoyable as the others. I definitely appreciated that how serious and pointed it got in places, without ever quite losing the “how can these people think they don’t belong together?!” cuteness.

First of all, characters! I liked seeing both Nya and Johan fleshed out beyond the walk-on parts they’ve had in other books, that we got a sense of their political savvy and their pasts and their interests and everything else. I definitely felt for Nya in her insecurities and was indignant on Johan’s behalf that he felt he needed to perform a certain kind of masculinity to be accepted. And I liked their development over the book too, Nya blossoming and finding herself and Johan learning that weakness is okay, and maybe not weakness at all.

Second, the premise! I thought the reasons for Nya and Johan meeting and getting together were refreshingly different. Recasting fake dating/engagement as a dating sim was interesting, as was grounded it was in the politics and family dynamics of the story. They may have entered into it reasonably lightly but it’s never not treated as something serious, and you never quite forget the repercussions. The politics themselves and the family dynamics were also treated with seriousness, feeding into each other and the relationship and the themes of the book, and there was a queer subplot! That toed a pretty good line between messagey and “just part of the story”. I always enjoy how concrete Cole’s plots are, and how she can write deep fluff.

As for the romance itself… For all that there’s adorable teasing and misunderstandings and a meet-ugly and a bit of hate-turned-love, which all made me grin or turn to mush depending, I really, really liked that the relationship was founded more on respect and vulnerability than attraction or standing up for each other or any of the other reasons people in romance novels get together. I know that the other pairings in this series are solid too, but this one feels like it’s the strongest to me. I like people who talk about their feelings.

(Also, for those who are interested, there’s some pretty good debauchery, though the bit in the opera house strained my credulity a little.)

The only thing that kicked me out of the story, really, apart from a few moments around the dating-sim metaphor, was the European representation. Johan’s from a country that’s a deliberate mash-up of at least three, and speaks a language that’s again a mash-up, and while I know Cole’s doing it on purpose and what else is she supposed to do, use a real country?, I couldn’t ever buy into the idea that it existed. Then again, African readers might have similar things to say about Thesolo, I don’t know, and it’s not like I can’t find good European representation in a million other books. Whatever. It’s a small complaint and didn’t detract at all from what I was reading the book for.

So yeah, I liked this one! It was thoroughly enjoyable, surprisingly pointed and topical at times, and a solid romance. Totally hit the spot but since the start of the book contains spoilers for the previous ones, I’m not sure I recommend starting here even if I definitely recommend reading it.

To bear in mind: Characters deal with parental abuse, low self-esteem, toxic masculinity, transphobia, and nationalist politicians.
7/10 ( )
  NinjaMuse | Sep 14, 2020 |

Belongs to Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 159,089,868 books! | Top bar: Always visible