A Prince on Paper by Alyssa Cole

A Prince on Paper

by Alyssa Cole

Every bit as charming as the first book in the series. I once again loved both the main couple and the assorted side characters, though I am hoping for one more related novella to tie up some loose ends with a pair of side characters. ( )
  akaGingerK | May 5, 2019 |
*May Contain Spoilers*A Prince on Paper is the third full-length installment in the Reluctant Royals series and I am not sure if this author plans on more books in this series, but if not I have adored every moment in reading these books and I love the humor and endearing qualities that we have seen in this series. I always get a kick out of a well written royal romance, and man no one does it better than Alyssa Cole. Ever since Duke By Default, I have been so stoked for this story, I loved seeing these two characters in the previous books and I had a delightful time seeing them find their own happily ever after.A Prince on Paper begins with our heroine, Nya Jerami, who once fled Thesolo, wanting to be free and find herself in the glamour of New York City. But it just didn't work out that way for her. New York City wasn't quite the experience that she was hoping for and now with her cousin and friend having their wedding in Thesolo, she will be going back home and back to the painful memories. But on the plane ride home, she finds herself in a bed with the bad boy prince....Johan von Braustein. There has always been a bit of chemistry between Nya and Johan but with the distance between them, nothing has really cemented between them until they come to close quarters with each other and for the first time Nya is beginning to find herself and see beneath the bad boy exterior that Johan hides behind. Johan and Nya are both hiding from their pasts. Johan hides from emotion, ever since his mother died he has never been able to open himself up. He hides behind the man the paparazzi knows and to protect his younger brother who is the heir to Liechtienbourg. But secretly he supports multiple charities with his own funds, in a way to honor his mother. But he can't let anyone know the truth, its something he wants to do on his own without any recognition so he can help others without it being tainted by his bad reputation. But Johan has secretly had a love for Nya but hides it until the wedding in Thesolo and he sees a woman of courage and strength that he wants to bring out in the light, a woman who hides a big part of herself. But when they go on a journey together, from the wilds of Thesolo to the city of Liechtienbourg, their love for each other will be revealed and a passion neither of them realized until now...A Prince on Paper is a beautiful romance that delivers in every way possible. I had such a blast with this book and still debating which book in the series is my favorite but honestly....a Prince on Paper is a good match for the previous two books. I loved it just as much as the previous books and I just devoured this story. There is something that Alyssa Cole does with these books that are so amazing and I can't ever get enough of her writing especially in her contemporary love stories. There is quite a bit that we see happen in this story and boy all the diverse themes that we get introduced to including a surprising character that is a transgender but not quite in the way I have ever seen in a romance gave me all the delightful feels.When he looked into Nya's eyes. He saw the bait that was laid down for the follish protagonist in every fairy tale. Love. Shelter. Kindness. He saw it and he wanted it--wanted her--even though he knew the bait was inside a cage of eventual despair. Despair seemed worth it, just then.The romance between Johan and Nya has a mix of unrequited love, royalty mix, road trip adventure, and fake relationship. We first get to see their interaction when they find themselves in the same bed and boy do sparks fly between these two here. Then we skip to when Nya arrives in Thesolo and all of her friends are there including the couple from "Once Ghosted Twice Shy" so it was fun seeing them again for a brief moment. Then we have Nya having to face up to some painful memories and how her father is still trying to torment her. We get a more in-depth look on the crimes that her father committed against Nya. It's so heartbreaking to see her face up to these memories but also how the people in Thesolo treat her, always talking behind her back as if she committed the crimes too. But we see that Nya was a victim and a survivor. But she is still learning about her own strengths and capabilities and trying to find herself. We see how the bantering that happens between Johan and Nya is what they both really need. You see them both come out of their shells and the covers they hide behind and love seeing this unveiling.But when Nya agrees to act as the fake fiancee for Johan, they go on an adventure together. I enjoyed seeing Nya and Johan explore their sexuality with each other while trying to act like what they have is just a temporary situation. But both their hearts are becoming involved with the act that they are trying to play and trying to solve the mystery of who is sabotaging the royal family. There was a couple that we did meet that are having marriage problems....would love to see their story for sure!!There is so much unexpected emotion that I didn't expect and I swear that Alyssa Cole does this on PURPOSE!! I swear she breaks my heart each and every time I pick up one of her books, but in a positive way. I love how much these two are in tune with each other, the ways they bring out the best in each other and always help each other become better. There is so much intimate growth in their relationship that we see happen and this is a delightful development that we see happen between Johan and Nya. I adored every single moment of this novel and was so sad to see it end because I fell head over heels in love with Johan and Nya.Overall I found A Prince on Paper a delightful fairy tale of true love in the least expected moments, a story of hidden emotion, secret courage and plenty of amusing antics to delight you from head to toe!! A SPARKLING GEM! ( )
  addictofromance | Apr 20, 2019 |
I had been waiting so long to read this book, and I was definitely not disappointed. Alyssa Cole is an incredibly talented writer and I applaud her decision to write diverse and inclusive romance novels. A Prince on Paper is the third in Cole's Reluctant Royals series, and just might be might favorite of them. Nya and Johan were both introduced in previous books and I was already invested in their characters. Nya is the daughter of a super controlling and emotionally abusive father who is currently in prison for trying to overthrow the royal family in their small kingdom of Thesolo. Johan, known as the bad boy prince of Liechtienbourg, hides his good heart and uses his bad boy persona to shield his little brother, the actual heir to the throne. Nya must return home for her cousin's wedding to the prince of Thesolo, who happens to be Johan's best friend. They begin a fake relationship to help them both out of an awkward situation, but their fake relationship quickly becomes something more.

Both Nya and Johan are misunderstood characters who struggle with the image the rest of the world sees of them, as opposed to how they see themselves and each other. As always by Cole, the book was extremely well written. While I found that A Prince on Paper wasn't as humorous as the previous books, I don't think that was a problem at all, as this book dealt with lots of serious subject matter. I was emotionally invested in the lives and relationships of all of the characters. Of course Nya and Johan's relationship was the star of the show, but Nya's relationship with her father and Johan's relationship with Lukas were just as interesting. I think that is a testament to Cole's ability to write strong multidimensional characters.Overall I thoroughly enjoyed the book. I didn't want to put it down. I loved the development of the relationship between Nya and Johan. I really enjoyed watching Nya break out of her shell. She really grew throughout the book and I was rooting for her the whole way. Alyssa Cole writes great love scenes and I thought the way she eased them into a physical relationship was very true to the characters and added to the story. I loved that there was also an bit of mystery and intrigue in the book, I would definitely say this was a five star read for me, and I look forward to reading much more from this author. ( )
  constancej.529 | Apr 4, 2019 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,734,960 books! | Top bar: Always visible