Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

Revanche: Une enquête de Joe Kurtz by Dan…

Revanche: Une enquête de Joe Kurtz (edition 2005)

by Dan Simmons (Author), Guy Abadia (Traduction)

Series: Joe Kurtz (2)

Revenge has never been served so cold. Joe Kurtz, former investigator and convicted felon, is on parole. But the years he spent in Attica didn't make his old haunts any safer. Back on the streets of Buffalo, he's already marked by a local Mafia don. As if watching his back weren't enough work, Kurtz has also been hired by a gravely ill John Frears, whose daughter met a grisly fate at the hands of a murderer. Frears wants one thing before he dies: for Kurtz to find the fiend that the authorities couldn't. But the calculating killer -- a master at changing identities -- has a little unfinished business of his own. Dodging a contract on his head and tracking a serial killer on the loose, Kurtz plunges headfirst into the icy waters of revenge as both victim and avenger.… (more)
Member:miloshth
Title:Revanche: Une enquête de Joe Kurtz
Authors:Dan Simmons (Author)
Other authors:Guy Abadia (Traduction)
Info:Folio (2005), 368 pages

Hard Freeze by Dan Simmons

English (3)  Tagalog (1)  German (1)  All languages (5)
This was a decent hard-boiled mystery story. It is very action driven. There are no clear good guys and bad guys just action everywhere. Joe Kurtz is blunt and gets the job done with a ton of collateral damage. I didn't like any of the characters, but the story definitely kept my attention from start to finish. ( )
  jguidry | Jun 10, 2019 |
This novel is part of a series of three books from the "Joe Kurtz" series. It has been many years since i have read the series so i am not going to do a in-depth review. I did however want to let other readers now that it is fantastic and that they really should give it a turn. I do not think you will be disappointed. Pleas give it a shot and hold on for a exciting and thoughtful ride. ( )
  Trentazoid | Nov 4, 2015 |
My enjoyments and complaints about the first book in the series make a return here. This world is too clean, not enough noir style thrown into the descriptions. Joe remains, however, an interesting character to follow around.

He disposes of his would-be assassins too easily. Perhaps that is just a statement of Joe's talent. But it tended to feel like not enough effort or risk on his part.

I liked how Joe was looking in on Sam's daughter. I expected some of Arlene's observations on this. I had a hard time swallowing that the girl's dad was so stupid as to harm the girl, in multiple ways, AFTER Joe warned him and how he knows what lengths Joe will go to, making things right. Okay, after saying all that, I did like the way Joe takes care of the dad.

I very much enjoyed the serial-killer twist thrown into this one. I also enjoyed the parallel action of the killer trying to get at Joe while Joe tries to expose the killer.

I rate the story up a notch because of this tremendous complication that Simmons handles quite well. Then I rate the story back down because the ending crashes together too suddenly. I especially didn't like the whole mafia resolution happening with Joe off-stage. There was another 1/4 to 1/2 book worth of live-action resolution that comes across more like a newspaper story at the end.

As before, I want more grit, emotion, and tragedy in my noir. Somehow Simmons' story comes across a little too clean. In this one he got into the mind of a serial killer quite nicely but I felt let down by everyone's neutral reaction to his trophy photos. I didn't sense enough outrage from any of the characters.

I am certainly going to read the next book but the bar has been set at just a 'three star' level, not expecting noir greatness and the gut-twisting truths we got from James Ellroy's Los Angeles trilogy. ( )
  Penforhire | Mar 15, 2013 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 152,530,996 books! | Top bar: Always visible