Watcher in the Woods: A Rockton Novel (Casey…

Watcher in the Woods: A Rockton Novel (Casey Duncan Novels Book 4) (edition 2019)

by Kelley Armstrong (Author)

Member:vaspitfire
Title:Watcher in the Woods: A Rockton Novel (Casey Duncan Novels Book 4)
Authors:Kelley Armstrong (Author)
Info:Minotaur Books (2019), 360 pages
Tags:mystery, series, audiobook, police

Watcher in the Woods (Casey Duncan Novels) by Kelley Armstrong

WATCHER IN THE WOODS is book four in Kelly Armstrong's Rockton series. I've read all the books and this is a series that I love and I hope that Armstrong will keep on writing several more books.

READ THE REST OF THE REVIEW OVER AT FRESH FICTION! ( )
  MaraBlaise | May 19, 2019 |
This is the fourth book in the fabulous Rockton series. Casey engages her estranged sister, a neuroscientist to help with Kenny, who's been shot, and secretly brings her to Rockton. Soon after, a US Marshal sneaks into town unsanctioned by the council, looking to nab one of their residents. Casey and Eric track him down but he is uncooperative and won't tell them who he seeking. Suddenly, he is shot dead and once again Casey and Eric must not only discover who the Marshal was after but also solve his murder. They must figure out how he even knows about Rockton and suspect there might be a leak in the council. The council is in flux and there is trouble brewing with the hostiles. It is never easy but Eric and Casey work together as a team to keep everyone in Rockton safe. A lot of back stories are revealed in this book that provide in-depth insight into many of the main characters. There is also more information about Rockton, it's founders and the machinations of the governing council . As usual, not everyone is as they seem. I loved this but I love all the books I've read by Kelley Armstrong and I've read most of her books. I am looking forward to the next book(s) in this series. Thank you to the publisher and NetGalley for providing an ARC in exchange for an honest review. All opinions expressed are my own. ( )
  bm2ng | Apr 9, 2019 |
Watcher in the Woods is book 4 in a series. I do believe I may have missed out a little here by not being familiar with the first 3 books in the series. The author does a good job of bringing up relevant history with the relevant characters, but even so I felt a little bit on the outs at times.

The storyline follows Casey, a homicide detective who now patrols a remote, not on the map town of Rockton. Rockton is buried deep in the Yukon Territory, and it is a town for ghosts. Most all the residents found their way to Rockton because they are hiding from something. In many cases they are avoiding warrants or prosecution because of crimes committed. They have paid for their stay in Rockton, and Rockton is overseen by an elusive council. The council dictates how the town operates and who is allowed to stay. The day to day operations are overseen by a militia and Dalton, the head sheriff. Dalton and Casey have developed a relationship and are now living together. Dalton and Casey have taken a risk and have come into Vancouver to solicit Casey’s estranged sister into consulting for them on a patient. Kenny, a member of the militia was shot in the back and he needs the bullet removed.

Unexpectedly, April decides to leave her duties in Vancouver to join Casey and Dalton in Rockton so that she can perform the delicate surgery herself. Soon after Casey, April, and Dalton get back to Rockton, a mysterious man shows up on the border of town. He claims to be a US Marshall and he wants to take one of their residents back with him to receive punishment for crimes committed. Before Casey and Dalton can get to the bottom of the mystery Marshall, and who he is hunting, someone shoots the Marshall and kills him. Now Casey must solve the murder of The US Marshall while trying to solve the mystery of how he found the town to begin with. In a town full of people trying to hide, everyone becomes a suspect.

The characters are well developed and the inner monologue of Casey is fun to read. The story is a little slow to peak. Perhaps I will go back and read the first 3 books and I will have some additional insight. ( )
  hana321 | Mar 28, 2019 |
Love, love, love these books. Casey, the only homicide detective in Rockton (a remote Yukon town), is a total badass. She's smart, clever and determined to do what's right in every situation. In this case, it's figuring out who murdered a maybe-US Marshall in their town of individuals who don't want to be found. ( )
  kayceel | Mar 5, 2019 |
This is the fourth book in the Rockton series, there are supposed to be five books in this series. This was another wonderful addition to this series. This series is more of a Thriller/Mystery series and different from most series I read, but I absolutely love it.

Casey and Eric are hoping for things to settle down in Rockton a bit when a US Marshall shows up hunting one of Rockton’s residents. The fact that the US Marshal even found Rockton is worrisome. To complicate matters Casey has snuck her surgeon sister into Rockton to help save the life of one of the residents. Now there are two unapproved people in Rockton. Things get dangerous when the Marshall ends up dead and Casey and Eric must figure out who killed him before the killer strikes again.

I continue to absolutely love the setting for this series (middle of nowhere Yukon territory) and the characters. All of the characters are very well developed, even the side characters. Additionally the mystery here is smart, intense, and keeps me guessing. All of this combined makes for an intense, engaging read that is just perfection.

Overall another great book in this wonderful series. I highly recommend to those who like a combination of mystery/thriller and survival stories. ( )
  krau0098 | Mar 1, 2019 |

"Watcher in the Woods is the next gripping installment of #1 bestselling Kelley Armstrong's riveting Casey Duncan series. The secret town of Rockton has seen some rocky times lately; understandable considering its mix of criminals and victims fleeing society for refuge within its Yukon borders. Casey Duncan, the town's only detective on a police force of three, has already faced murder, arson, and falling in love in the several months that she's lived there. Yet even she didn't think it would be possible for an outsider to locate the town and cause trouble in the place she's come to call home. When a US Marshal shows up demanding the release of one of the residents, but won't say who, Casey and her boyfriend, Sheriff Eric Dalton, are skeptical. And yet only hours later, the marshal is shot dead and the only possible suspects are the townspeople and Casey's estranged sister, smuggled into town to help with a medical emergency. It's up to Casey to figure out who murdered the marshal, and why someone would kill to keep him quiet--before the killer strikes again" --… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,760,159 books! | Top bar: Always visible