HomeGroupsTalkExplore

Josephine Baker (Volume 16) (Little People,…

Josephine Baker (Volume 16) (Little People, BIG DREAMS, 16) (edition 2018)

by Maria Isabel Sanchez Vegara (Author)

Meet Josephine Baker, the world-famous entertainer, activist, and French Resistance agent in this true story of her life! This board book version of Josephine Baker--from the beloved Little People, BIG DREAMS series--follows the incredible life of Josephine Baker, from growing up in St. Louis, Missouri, during segregation to defying expectations and performing on the stage in Paris, where audiences fell in love with her. Josephine Baker was born for the stage. But growing up in segregated St. Louis, she didn't have the same opportunities as white entertainers. So, she moved to Paris where audiences fell in love with her. Josephine worked as a dancer, an actor, and even a spy. She then spent the rest of her life spreading the word that people of all colors can live together in harmony. Babies and toddlers will love to snuggle as you read to them the engaging story of this talented entertainer and activist, and will also enjoy exploring the stylish and quirky illustrations of this sturdy board book on their own. Little People, BIG DREAMS is a best-selling series of books and educational games that explore the lives of outstanding people, from designers and artists to scientists and activists. All of them achieved incredible things, yet each began life as a child with a dream. This empowering series offers inspiring messages to children of all ages, in a range of formats. The board books are told in simple sentences, perfect for reading aloud to babies and toddlers. The hardcover versions present expanded stories for beginning readers. Boxed gift sets allow you to collect a selection of the books by theme. Paper dolls, learning cards, matching games, and other fun learning tools provide even more ways to make the lives of these role models accessible to children. Inspire the next generation of outstanding people who will change the world with Little People, BIG DREAMS!… (more)
Member:KylePayne
Title:Josephine Baker (Volume 16) (Little People, BIG DREAMS, 16)
Authors:Maria Isabel Sanchez Vegara (Author)
Info:Frances Lincoln Children's Books (2018), Edition: New, 32 pages

Work Information

Josephine Baker (Little People, BIG DREAMS) by Maria Isabel Sanchez Vegara

Note: I received a digital review copy of this book from the publisher through NetGalley. ( )
  fernandie | Sep 15, 2022 |
  fernandie | Sep 15, 2022 |
1906-1975. Dancer, actor, spy, activist (she refused to perform in segregated theaters, and spoke at the March on Washington). ( )
  JennyArch | Mar 7, 2020 |
This was ok. My eARC does not include the title page or back cover so I do not feel I'm evaluating the entire book, which is frustrating. I thought that the art was a little too simplistic. Josephine Baker is a beautiful and elegant woman and the simple line drawing style could be of anyone. The backgrounds were also so simple as to be non-existent on many pages. I realize this is for very young children but this just fell flat to me. I think even babies can handle a little more than is being given to them here.

I received this eARC from the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  g33kgrrl | Aug 2, 2019 |
I am becoming a huge fan of the "Little People, Big Dreams" series. There are so many great people, but many biographies go unread. This series piques the interest of young readers with basic, simple facts about the person with the hope that they will do further investigation on their own.

In this book we learn a lot of facts about Josephine Baker and the times that she lived. There was a lot I learned as I read this book, so even though it is geared at children by keeping the information short and to the point, any age could read this book. It discusses important issues such as segregation and World War II. It included information from her life and did not just focus on her dancing abilities. It included information about her being a spy, adopting children, having a variety of pets and marching for civil rights. At the back of the book you will find actual photos and other biographical information as well. It also gave resources that the reader could use to find out more. A great addition to a school or public library. The publisher, Lincoln Children's Books, provided me with a copy of this book to read, the opinions are my own. ( )
  Carlathelibrarian | Feb 5, 2019 |

Sanchez Vegara, Maria Isabelprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sorlet, AgatheIllustratormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Josephine was born with very little except legs that loved to dance.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 182,794,545 books! | Top bar: Always visible