dismiss

How Long 'til Black Future Month?: Stories…

How Long 'til Black Future Month?: Stories

by N. K. Jemisin

N. K. Jemisin is one of the most powerful and acclaimed speculative fiction authors of our time. In the first collection of her evocative short fiction, Jemisin equally challenges and delights readers with thought-provoking narratives of destruction, rebirth, and redemption. In these stories, Jemisin sharply examines modern society, infusing magic into the mundane, and drawing deft parallels in the fantasy realms of her imagination. Dragons and hateful spirits haunt the flooded streets of New Orleans in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. In a parallel universe, a utopian society watches our world, trying to learn from our mistakes. A black mother in the Jim Crow South must save her daughter from a fey offering impossible promises. And in the Hugo award-nominated short story "The City Born Great," a young street kid fights to give birth to an old metropolis's soul.… (more)
Recently added byfacety1, aarongable, allison_s, weezer567, HeatherJo5, private library, MicRenThom

This is a really excellent collection of short stories. While some were more to my taste than others (as is to be expected) they were all of a stellar quality. There were no ups and downs in the quality of these stories: they are all fabulous.

My favorites include “L’Alchimista,” “Red Dirt Witch,” and “The You Train.” But your mileage may vary. I really think there's something for everyone here. ( )
  ca.bookwyrm | May 18, 2020 |
What a let-down. I was eager to read these short stories from one of my favorite SF novelists. But they are what Jemisin essentially says they are in her introduction: Early works by an enthusiastic writer learning her craft. The stories felt very clunky, not at all subtle. See, e.g., The Broken Earth trilogy for a master class in combining high concept + plot + character development, while maintaining control of the tone, the mood, the subtly shifting effect on the reader over the course of the three books. ( )
  joecanas | May 9, 2020 |
Excellent. Seriously, these were gems. ( )
  Jon_Hansen | Apr 5, 2020 |
Yet another amazing book club read! And just the book for the end of the decade. This short story collection has something for everyone, from mysticism, sci-fi, to good old fashioned dystopian future. I truly enjoyed each story for what it was. To pick one would be tough but I think I would go with either L'Alchimista or Cloud Dragon Skies. ( )
  reynag | Feb 3, 2020 |
Consistently entertaining. Quality collection from my favorite genre fiction writer. ( )
  AshLaz | Jan 24, 2020 |

N. K. Jemisin is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,306,699 books! | Top bar: Always visible