Split Tooth by Tanya Tagaq

Split Tooth (original 2018; edition 2019)

by Tanya Tagaq (Autor)

1919111,604 (3.9)14
A girl grows up in Nunavut in the 1970s. She knows joy and love. She knows boredom and bullying. She knows the tedium of the everyday and the seductive energy of the animal world. She knows the ravages of alcohol and violence. When she becomes pregnant, she must navigate all this. Veering between the grittiest features of a small arctic town, the electrifying proximity of the animal world and the ravishing world of myth, Tanya Tagaq explores a world where the distinctions between good and evil, animal and human, real and imagined lose their meaning, but the guiding power of love remains.… (more)
Member:kristinashl3y
Title:Split Tooth
Authors:Tanya Tagaq (Autor)
Info:Penguin Canada (2019), Edition: Reprint, 208 pages

Split Tooth by Tanya Tagaq (2018)

Wow wow wow wow wow. That was wild and painful and cosmic and beautiful and heavy. I have never read anything like this book.

**24 hours later: I just want to go back and re-read this book. I stayed up far past my bedtime last night listening to Tagaq's music and interviews (I am so behind the times!), and it adds even more depth. I also need to buy her audiobook...after listening to a sample of that, my mind is just blown.

***As expected, the audio was phenomenal. ( )
  LibroLindsay | Jun 18, 2021 |
Beautiful, raw, so so brutal. ( )
  madar1a | Jun 5, 2021 |
One part vignettes of an Inuit coming of age, one part blended magical realism and poetry. The frequent and casual mentions of child sex abuse, rape, assault, and other forms normalized brutality were quite jarring, especially because the tone of the experimental prose moves so fluidly from light and joyous one second to dark and violent the next. Some of the more explicit descriptions felt a bit gratuitous and not as aligned with artistic purposes. ( )
  jiyoungh | May 3, 2021 |
A fantastic story of a girl navigating through her life with her friends, parents, and a pregnancy. ( )
  caanderson | Mar 28, 2021 |
While I admire her creativity and unique talent I can't say I enjoyed her book but maybe 'enjoyment' is not intended. I'm classing this as fiction but it is taken from Tagaq's own experiences and philosophy. Her story ranging from poetic to harrowing is not for the faint-hearted. I listened to the audiobook, expertly narrated by the author and interspersed with her award-winning throat singing. It's a difficult book to rate because although the story was not to my liking the distinctive execution was superb. ( )
  VivienneR | May 30, 2020 |
To unpack Split Tooth’s labyrinthine structure in a single review is a challenge. On its most straightforward level, it tells the story of an unnamed adolescent girl growing up in Nunavut in the 1970s, although this time frame is communicated only through subtle clues. Tagaq instead foregrounds the inherent timelessness of a place that seasonally cycles between 24-hour day and perpetual night: “Life pops forth brightly and death is a soft exhalation … not so much living and dying as glowing and darkening.” This view of time as cyclical rather than linear is key to the story and is alternately grounding and disorienting.

Though the protagonist’s coming-of-age story, generously and lovingly documented by Tagaq, is the anchor, Split Tooth is not a book that can be fully absorbed in one sitting. It’s possible to sink deeper and deeper into the narrative with each successive reading. Like a smirking teenager, Split Tooth blithely gives typical literary expectations the finger, daring us to see and experience narrative as chaotic, emotional, and deeply instinctive. And it succeeds.
added by VivienneR | editQuill and Quire, Carleigh Baker

Fact can be as strange as fiction. It can also be as dark, as violent, as rapturous. In the end, there may be no difference between them.

A girl grows up in Nunavut in the 1970s. She knows joy, and friendship, and parents' love. She knows boredom, and listlessness, and bullying. She knows the tedium of the everyday world, and the raw, amoral power of the ice and sky, the seductive energy of the animal world. She knows the ravages of alcohol, and violence at the hands of those she should be able to trust. She sees the spirits that surround her, and the immense power that dwarfs all of us.

When she becomes pregnant, she must navigate all this.

Veering back and forth between the grittiest features of a small arctic town, the electrifying proximity of the world of animals, and ravishing world of myth, Tanya Tagaq explores a world where the distinctions between good and evil, animal and human, victim and transgressor, real and imagined lose their meaning, but the guiding power of love remains.

Haunting, brooding, exhilarating, and tender all at once, Tagaq moves effortlessly between fiction and memoir, myth and reality, poetry and prose, and conjures a world and a heroine readers will never forget.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,188,837 books! | Top bar: Always visible