The Knitter's Dictionary: Knitting Know-How…

The Knitter's Dictionary: Knitting Know-How from A to Z (edition 2018)

by Kate Atherley (Author)

871,463,801 (4.29)None
Collections:Your library, ebooks
Rating:**

The Knitter's Dictionary: Knitting Know-How from A to Z by Kate Atherley

No tags.

I'm sorry to say that I was disappointed by this book - while the information is good, the organization is not, and organization is everything with a reference text. I could not determine the logic behind what topics were grouped and which ones were listed under their own titles (for example, all increases and decreases are under "Increase" and "Decrease" respectively, but cast-ons and bind-offs are listed under their individual names). Some items that refer to a lengthier entry have at least a little explanation attached to them; others have nothing. Trying to look something up in this book while in the middle of a project would be an exercise in frustration. The illustrations are good and as clear as black and white line drawing illustrations can be, although the choice of which terms to illustrate was baffling to me sometimes (at least that's a dictionary standard). Overall an excellent concept but not an ideal execution. ( )
  jen.e.moore | Nov 8, 2018 |
Thank you to Netgalley, Interweave, and Kate Atherley for providing an ARC in exchange for an honest review. My opinions are 100% my own and independent of receiving an advanced copy.

Kate Atherley is well known in the knitter world. She has written several books and published lots of patterns, many of them found on Knitty, where she is the managing technical editor. As a mathematician, her patterns have lots of detail and are very well written.

This is a small but comprehensive book to help knitters understand patterns. If you find the language of patterns difficult, this would be a helpful reference. Some knitters love to design their own patterns, making it up as they go along. I, unfortunately, am not that kind of knitter. I have always relied on patterns. I was lucky that I never had a hard time understanding them. They always, sort of, made sense to me. Even the trickiest patterns I could decipher. For me, I didn’t find this collection outstanding. I think the you can find this information in other places. However, it is nice to have it one collection, for ease of use and reference for future projects. It is well written with lots of good tips.

A bit of a take it or leave it to me. If you think this would be useful for you, then I recommend. If it isn’t much of an issue for you, or you have other reference books (or don’t mind looking things up on the internet), I would pass on this one. ( )
  PattySmith | Oct 30, 2018 |
The Knitter's Dictionary adds a bit of glitter to your knitting craft projects. Defining terms, explaining stitches, and providing helpful and inspiring illustrations.

I like the alphabetical listings, making it easy to find phrases, words, etc. with ease. The book also provides helpful tips for yarn types, textures, weights, recommendations on how much yarn to buy for a particular project, yarn attributes, and additional valuable information.

The hardback design is sturdy and even comes with a handy attached ribbon marker for page keeping. If you enjoy knitting, or have hopes of learning the craft, this book is a valuable library addition. It doesn't provide all the information you need, but it's certainly a great place to start.

#KnitterGlitter ( )
  Nicnac63 | Oct 30, 2018 |
The Knitter's Dictionary Knitting Know-How from A to Z by Kate Atherley
Book starts out with a table of contents: intro, getting started, a-z, references, acknowledgements and about the author and other works.
Intro talks about this book as a guide to help you understand the language and patterns phrases.
What I like about the getting started are the important parts of knitting: the patterns, size, gauge, tools, knitting fibers-love the yarn band where it shows all the info about the yarn that is highlighted by arrows.
Chart about the item you want to make and what important yarn features are best to use.
The dictionary itself is set up a chapter for each letter of the alphabet and all the phrases used in knitting=some have explanations of how to do the stitches.
Also various diagrams showing stitches on the needle and pointing out other information.
Charts throughout on general symbols used in charted patterns: chart and symbols on yarn bands about fibers and if they can be machine or hand washed-very helpful when deciding what type of fiber to use;
Different neck shapings provide you with instructions on how to do the inc/dec; Charts on needle size in US, UK and metric.
What a KEEPER! So much useful information.
Received this review copy from F+W Media via Interweave and this is my honest opinion.
#TheKnittersDictionary #NetGalley ( )
  jbarr5 | Oct 30, 2018 |
I received an ARC of this book to read in exchange for a fair review. The Knitter’s Dictionary by Kate Atherley is exactly as the title states a dictionary of knitting terms. I see this as a book you would keep handy in your knitting bag for those moments when the pattern instructions have you confused because it’s perfect for that. The illustrations are excellent as well, making clear when words are not quite enough. Whether learning new techniques or refreshing yourself on old this is definitely a keeper. Publishing Date October 30, 2018 #NetGalley #TheKnittersDictionary @KateAtherley ( )
  nmgski | Oct 17, 2018 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,214,794 books! | Top bar: Always visible