Zero Cool (Hard Case Crime) by Crichton,…

Zero Cool (Hard Case Crime) by Crichton, Michael, Lange, John (2013)… (original 1969; edition 1792)

In 1967, American radiologist Peter Ross takes a vacation to the south of Spain, where he meets a beautiful woman on a beach and finds himself swept up in a gang war over a precious artifact.
Member:jeff.coatsworth
Title:Zero Cool (Hard Case Crime) by Crichton, Michael, Lange, John (2013) Paperback
Authors:
Info:Titan Books (1792)
Tags:2021-12 #70

Work Information

Zero Cool by John Lange (1969)

Easy Go by Michael Crichton (alaskayo)
    alaskayo: The most fun of the pseudonymous John Lange novels, and sadly--o so sadly--out of print. A hell of a lot better than Zero Cool.

Synopsis/blurb....

American radiologist Peter Ross just wanted a vacation. But when he meets the beautiful Angela Locke on a Spanish beach, he soon finds himself caught up in a murderous crossfire between rival gangs seeking a precious artifact.

From Barcelona to the rain-swept streets of Paris, from the towers of the Alhambra to its darkest catacombs, Peter Ross is an ordinary man in desperate circumstances; racing to uncover a secret lost for centuries, before he becomes its next victim.
--------
My take...

Not a massive fan of science fiction type novels, I've managed to avoid Michael Crichton's books forever. Here though we have some 60s pulp type adventure stuff, which had originally been published under a pseudonym. Hard Case Crime brought seven or eight of them back into print and I'm glad they did.

An American doctor takes a holiday in Europe and finds himself caught up in some international intrigue....... death threats, autopsies, smugglers, criminal rivals, a beautiful girl, sex, some espionage type shenanigans with Peter Ross the unwitting piggy in the middle, slowly catching on to the jig.

240 pages long it was a one sitting read. Memorable, ground-breaking, literary? Not really. Entertaining, absorbing, fun? Definitely.

I liked the main character and the run around he gets. As a doctor, he's obviously intelligent, capable and practical. In worldly matters and on a foreign continent, initially he's a bit naive and bewildered. Very quickly he wises up.

I quite liked the European road trip - who wouldn't want to visit Paris and Barcelona?. I liked the time when the book was written and when it was set, the swinging sixties, the time of sexual liberation with women not afraid to express themselves. It's hard to say whether the sex here is used as a weapon, or because the beautiful Angela is attracted to Peter. Initially the former, but probably a bit of both and in any case probaby not worth too much time fretting over it.

Fun was had. I'll definitely read more of Crichton's John Lange books in the future.

4 from 5

Read - December, 2020
Published - 1969
Page count - 240
Source - purchased copy
Format - paperback

http://col2910.blogspot.com/2021/02/michael-crichton-as-john-lange-zero.html ( )
  col2910 | Feb 2, 2021 |
This was ok for what it was. A quick light pulp adventure. Some ok plot twists and lots of intrigue. If you want a pulp story and it doesn't have to be good, just scratch the itch. This is it. ( )
  Vulco1 | Oct 12, 2018 |
Absolute HCC thriller with bare plot and characters, but fun to spend a day or so reading. ( )
  Prop2gether | Jun 5, 2014 |
Another early Crichton published under his John Lang pseudonym. As usual, it's vaguely entertaining and yet utterly implausible. He starts with a decent noir framework but then piles on a ridiculous number of plot twists that leave me wanting something simpler. The prologue and epilogue may have been added by him when Hard Case reissued this in 2006. ( )
  wjohnston | Feb 1, 2014 |
As described very well by other LibraryThing reviewers, this is a silly book -- a quick read, but even those few hours constitute a waste of time. I generally trust Hard Case Crime editor Charles Ardai's taste, but sometimes he does let me down. It is also curious that there is no indication given that this is a slightly updated version of the text, augmented by the contemporary "video interview" sections mentioned by Baviv. Were there any other changes made? The reprint is therefore suspect from a scholarly point of view, whereas in the past I have always felt I could trust Hard Case Crime's bibliographic integrity. ( )
  PatrickMurtha | Dec 24, 2010 |

John Langeprimary authorall editionscalculated
Manchess, GregoryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Publisher Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,168,001 books! | Top bar: Always visible