Brooms Are for Flying (2000)

by Michael Rex

A group of young trick-or-treaters demonstrate that "feet are for stomping," "eyes are for peeking," "mouths are for moaning," and "tummies are for treating."
    Halloween party by Linda Shute (PuddinTame)
    PuddinTame: These two books share a similar sense of humor, and a reliance on pictures as well as words, even for picture books.

A little witch encourages everyone to march, stomp, and shake as they follow along with her. A clown, werewolf, mummy, and skeleton join in the fun, and before the night is through a surprise is revealed.

The Bottom Line: With large print and a surprise twist ending, this Halloween gem is sure to entertain preschoolers. Illustrated in pencil and graphic software. Perfect for story time and getting kids to follow along.

This review also appears at the Mini Book Bytes Book Review Blog. ( )
  aya.herron | Oct 27, 2023 |
A little witch leads a group of trick-or-treaters through a Halloween dance in this picture-book intended for the youngest listeners. With no more than a few words per two-page spread - "Bones are for shaking. / Capes are for sneaking. / Mouths are for moaning." - accompanied by brightly colored illustrations of the witch demonstrating the action in question, Broom Are For Flying! is a book made for reading aloud with the toddler and under set. There is even a little surprise at the end, for trick-or-treaters and reader/listeners!

This is a book that really works: it does what it sets out to do, I think, and will hold the attention of its target audience, and keeping them entertained. Unfortunately, it just wasn't to my taste, something I might put down to my age, were it not for the enjoyment I have derived from other early childhood books. The pencil and computer-generated artwork just didn't do anything for me, and given the extreme paucity of text, this just made it impossible to really warm up to the book. Still, mileage varies, on these things, and I would still recommend this title to anyone looking for Halloween story-time selections for the younger childhood crowd. ( )
  AbigailAdams26 | Apr 14, 2013 |
Used for Halloween baby storytime October 2008.
  JenJ. | Mar 31, 2013 |
loved it. ( )
  mahallett | Apr 28, 2012 |

Michael Rexprimary authorall editionscalculated
Mark, DonnaDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Karen,
for the whipped cream
Everyone ready?  Follow me!

Children dress up for Halloween then discover one of them really is a witch when she takes her human mask off.

Available online at The Internet Archive:

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 206,375,483 books! | Top bar: Always visible