Blessing in Disguise: A Novel by Danielle…

Blessing in Disguise: A Novel (edition 2020)

by Danielle Steel (Author)

NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER * In Danielle Steel's remarkable new novel, one of her most memorable characters comes to terms with unfinished business and long-buried truths as the mother of three very different daughters with three singular fathers.  As a young intern at an art gallery in Paris, Isabelle McAvoy meets Putnam Armstrong, wealthy, gentle, older, and secluded from the world. Isabelle's relationship with Putnam, and her time at his château on the Normandy coast, are the stuff of dreams. But it turns real when she becomes pregnant, for she knows that marriage is out of the question. When Isabelle returns to New York, she enters a new relationship that she hopes will be more stable and traditional. But she soon realizes she has made a terrible mistake and again finds herself a single mother. With two young daughters and no husband, Isabelle finally and unexpectedly finds happiness and a love that gives her a third child, a baby as happy as her beloved father. And yet, once again, life brings dramatic changes. The three girls grow up to be very different women, and Isabelle's relationship with each of them is unique. While raising her girls alone, Isabelle also begins building a career as a successful art consultant. Then one final turn of fate brings a past secret to light, bonds mother and daughters closer, and turns a challenge into a blessing.… (more)
Member:texbrown
Title:Blessing in Disguise: A Novel
Authors:Danielle Steel (Author)
Info:Dell (2020), Edition: Reprint, 384 pages
Tags:Steel

Blessing in Disguise: A Novel by Danielle Steel

3.5 Stars for this family drama/romance. I haven’t read a DS novel for quite some time, so this was a nice reprieve from historical fiction or heavier drama I usually enjoy. Great read for beach or a lounging weekend.

The story follows Isabelle from her early 20s to her 60s. Her life, loves, and children. In true DS fashion, a lot of turmoil but always a satisfactory ending.

Thanks to NetGalley for this ARC. Opinion is my own. ( )
  LoriKBoyd | Mar 24, 2020 |
Danielle Steel is an author I know I can rely on for several things. One, a happy ending. Two, a story that won’t demand every brain cell I own. Three, a story that will be entertaining. So when I’m really busy, I like to read her books to escape into someone else’s world.

Blessing in Disguise is a great story, full of emotion and drama. The only thing I would caution against is reading too much of the back cover blurb if you like to be surprised as it tells you about half the plot! Like many of Danielle’s other stories, the central character is a strong woman. Isabelle hasn’t had the easiest of lives but she has three wonderful daughters who are completely different from each other. That’s probably not too surprising as each have different fathers. But before you get your own ideas about Isabelle, the story takes you back in time to her early twenties to where it all began. A wealthy and reclusive businessman, a young woman in Paris and a chemistry that can’t be denied. From that moment on, Isabelle’s life is full of highs and dramatic lows. (Danielle Steel certainly knows how to kill her darlings and later resurrect them from the ashes). It doesn’t end as the girls grow up, with her daughters having their own dramas and Isabelle experiencing a change of events that has the potential to destroy her livelihood. But there is one more secret that she has to reveal…

That description all sounds rather cryptic, but Danielle Steel is a master in taking her characters to the extremes of feelings. When you think that she couldn’t possibly go there, she does. The characters are all redeemable despite their mistakes – as the title says, it could have been a blessing in disguise. It would have been easy to write Isabelle off as a woman who made the same mistake too many times, but each of her experiences with the father of her daughters was unique, heartfelt and full of meaning. Sometimes things don’t turn out as you expect and for poor Isabelle, that happened a number of times. Yet she persevered and built a successful career and happy life. The overall theme of the book is that there is a silver lining in all clouds and never to write off a character! (Who knows when circumstances may give them the chance to redeem themselves).

Dramatic but ultimately happy is how I would describe Blessing in Disguise. It’s a light read, and surprisingly it contains next to none references to Downton Abbey (I get the feeling this is Danielle Steel’s favourite show)! It’s a comforting and familiar which is one of the reasons why she endears herself to so many readers.

Thank you to Pan Macmillan for the copy of this book. My review is honest.

http://samstillreading.wordpress.com ( )
  birdsam0610 | Jun 2, 2019 |
I became immersed in the Isabelle McAvoy from the first chapter of this book. Isabelle , at a young age goes to a Paris gallery as an intern, catches the eye of semi-recluse/millionaire Putnam Armstrong and falls in love. That is where Isabelle's fate is sealed, Putnam unable to deal with people for more than a month at a time refuses to become a full time father when Isabelle becomes pregnant. Now here is where I might say ughhh what a jerk! No Putnam is a gentle loving soul and quickly became my favorite character. Life goes on and Isabelle and Theo ( the daughter of Putnam) visit once a year for a month because Putnam cannot deal with the outside world or people for more than a month!

Beautiful Isabelle meets a jerk/con artist and has another baby but quickly banishes him from their lives. Isabelle becomes independent and successful in her own right and I loved that she does not need a man in her life to manage her daughters a business and every day life.

When Isabelle meets the love of her life Declan and has another baby, Oona, I breathe a sigh of relief for her but once again life happens and Isabelle is alone again. There are a few more developments in Isabelle's life and a shocking secret that she has hidden form her daughters.

This book was a nice escape for me and I did enjoy the sweeping saga of Isabelle, her romantic life and her daughters. Was it 100% realistic, no but it was a very enjoyable book to read.

.This review was originally posted on Fictional Reviewer ( )
  fictionalblonde | May 13, 2019 |
Blessing in Disguise is an intriguing tale. Isabelle McAvoy has led a unique life with her father and, thanks to his influence, pursues a degree in art history. Her degree and appreciation of art is what leads to her three very different men. I enjoyed the descriptions of the art in this book. Can you imagine being able to work with valuable, gorgeous paintings every day? The three men in Isabelle’s life are as different as Isabelle’s three daughters. Theo helps the underprivileged in India, Xela uses her MBA to come up with various business ventures in order to make it big and get rich, while Oona is happily married and lives in Tuscany with her husband and three children. I thought Blessing in Disguise was well-written and it proceeded at a steady pace. Danielle Steel has a fluid writing style that engages the reader. Blessing in Disguise begins with Isabelle in her 60s reflecting on her three girls and how she met their birth fathers. Isabelle and her family go through life facing their challenges head on and celebrating their successes. I like the strong female characters that are not without their flaws. While there are some expected elements in Blessing in Disguise, it did not detract from my reading pleasure. My favorite quote from the novel is “the good thing would never have happened without the bad thing first” which makes it “a blessing in disguise”. Reading a Blessing in Disguise is a wonderful way to spend a Saturday afternoon escaping from the world. ( )
  Kris_Anderson | May 9, 2019 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,693,031 books! | Top bar: Always visible