Steampunk International

by Pedro Cipriano (Editor), J.S. Meresmaa (Editor), Ian Whates (Editor)

An anthology showcasing the very best steampunk stories from three different countries released by three different publishers in three different languages. From the UK, George Mann (a new Newbury & Hobbes tale), Jonathan Green (a new Pax Brittania tale), and Derry O'Dowd; from Finland, Magdalena Hai (winner of the Atorox Award and the Finnish Literary Export Prize), multiple award-winning Anne Leinonen, and J.S. Meresmaa (whose work has been shortlisted for the Anni Polva, Kuvastaja, and Atorox Awards); and from Portugal, Anton Stark, Diana Pinguicha, and Pedro Cipriano (winner of Fórum Fantástico's Choice of the Year Award). Contents: Introduction by Ian Whates Steampunk UK Seasons of Wither - George Mann Reckless Engineering - Jonathan Green The Athenian Dinner Party - Derry O'Dowd Steampunk Finland Foreword by J.S. Meresmaa The Winged Man Isaac - Magdalena Hai The Cylinder Hat - Anne Leinonen Augustine - J.S. Meresmaa Steampunk Portugal Foreword by Pedro Cipriano Videri Quam Esse - Anton Stark The Desert Spider - Pedro Cipriano Heart of Stone - Diana Pinguicha… (more)

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A very interesting premise. As with so many collections like this, though, some of these selections are really good and some of them are just unreadable. Unfortunately, this collection has more of the latter than the former, and so I can't really recommend it as a whole. ( )
  mrbove | Jul 6, 2020 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received this book (ebook for Kindle and - to the editors thank you) as a part of the Library Thing Early Reviewers. I have some familiarity with Steampunk - but more main stream. I thought the first two stories (not too long and well written by well-known authors, esp. Mann) were the best. The third story (The Athenian Dinner Party) was written with an 19th Century perspective re: enslaved African American women and medicine. I did not find this story to my taste. But others might. Good collection.... thanks for allowing me to read it. Paul Floyd, Mpls, MN
  pmfloyd1 | Mar 30, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is an interesting collection of short stories from all over the world, in the steampunk tradition. I enjoyed each one, in their inventiveness. I have recently been introduced to steampunk, through the early reviewer program. ( )
  3wheeledlibrarian | Dec 24, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
In general, I really liked the majority of the stories in this collection. I especially liked that they were from three different countries, because it was interesting to see how the interpretations of Steampunk varied a little.

I recommend all of the stories, but there’s one I find problematic—The Athenian Dinner Party by Derry O’Dowd. As this is a father/daughter team where the father is an obstetrician gynecologist, one would think this might have borne (no pun intended) consideration before becoming subject matter. Yes, J. Marion Sims is considered the father of modern gynecology. But he learned what he did by experimenting on his and his neighbors’ enslaved African American women, without the benefit of the chloroform which he and his story mates use for their flight of fancy in the story. Because, according to him, African American women were closer to animals and felt no pain.

I’m not trying to sound politically correct. What he did is inhumane. Making him into a hero is wrong. Writing a story about him when most people don’t know that about him is wrong. Yes, he advanced gynecology, but at what price? He is a very controversial figure—a statue of him was removed from Central Park, New York in 2018. People can argue that he was a man of his time. I don’t buy it. Look him up if you want more information.

But the rest of the stories I really found enjoyable, and I would definitely recommend this anthology.

I was given an ARC by the publisher in exchange for my honest opinion. ( )
  waclements7 | Nov 29, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I got a copy of this book from a library thing giveaway. I enjoy steampunk fiction and wanted to experience this format from other countries. The story selection for this collection was fantastic. Each story is stand alone and short. Each story was enthralling and amazing and dark and wonderfully written. My only complaint is there aren’t enough stories in this book. ( )
  steven.wade | Nov 17, 2018 |

O'Dowd, Derrysecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Pinguicha, Dianasecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Stark, Antonsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Pedro Cipriano's book Steampunk International was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 177,029,097 books! | Top bar: Always visible