Nevertheless (Tesseracts Twenty-One) by…

Nevertheless (Tesseracts Twenty-One)

by Rhonda Parrish (Editor), Greg Bechtel (Editor)

Other authors: James Bambury (Contributor), Meghan Bell (Contributor), Gavin Bradley (Contributor), Ryan Henson Creighton (Contributor), Darrel Duckworth (Contributor)18 more, Dorianne Emmerton (Contributor), Pat Flewwelling (Contributor), Stephen Geigen-Miller (Contributor), Jason M. Harley (Contributor), Kate Heartfield (Contributor), R. W. Hodgson (Contributor), Jerri Jerreat (Contributor), Jason Lane (Contributor), Buzz Lanthier-Rogers (Contributor), Alison McBain (Contributor), Michael Milne (Contributor), Fiona Moore (Contributor), Ursula Pflug (Contributor), Michael Reid (Contributor), S. L. Saboviec (Contributor), Lisa Timpf (Contributor), Leslie Van Zwol (Contributor), Natalia Yanchak (Contributor)

Series: Tesseracts (21)

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I guess I was expecting something much different when requesting an anthology of optimistic speculative fiction. I wasn't expecting extremely mature adult content for one. Also I don't think hopeful and dark go hand in hand. I can see how it could be done, using dark elements to contrast and highlight the hopeful message of the story but this anthology falls short. From the beginning I was disappointed. The first story was disturbing to me with lots of violence, sex and swearing (elements that were repeated in quite a few other stories). I really don't see how it was an optimistic story except that the author is hopeful to one day have sex any way and how and whatever they want with no consequences. The second story just didn't seem very polished and was predictable. There were a couple stories that I enjoyed: "A Walk in the Woods", "Hill" (though more violent than I usually like to read), "Across the Seas of Sand", "With Two Left Feet", "The Garden" came the closest to accomplishing the theme.

(I received this book through librarything in exchange for my honest opinion.) ( )
  wrightja2000 | Nov 21, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I wasn't sure what to expect but I was very intrigued by the books description. The first story was a huge let down. I was pleasantly surprised with several of the other stories! I think the authors were successful in hitting the mark of optimistic speculative fiction. "A Breath for my Daughter" is my favorite of this collection. Overall I think this is a fun read and I do recommend checking it out. ( )
  herrohannah | Nov 20, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I don't read much SF any more, but do enjoy when it is good literature. This collection contains some wonderful stories with great themes. There were some that I found it hard to get an understanding of and one or two that didn't capture this reader, but the majority were good reads. Seems to be something for everyone. ( )
  cph917 | Nov 11, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Let's hear it for Canada!! This is a fantastic anthology of Sci-Fi short stories, and I really enjoyed the theme they went with for this year's volume - Hope. No matter how sad or depressing the story might be, there was always an element of hope. The stories range the gamut from futuristic to space to technology, so there is sure to be something for everyone. Fantastic volume, I just wish it were longer. ( )
  Nicole_Russell | Oct 29, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
It's been a long time since I've read any SciFi or Fantasy (or Speculative Fiction as the young kids seem to call it these days), and it was nice to do so again.

SF short stories always give me a feeling of malaise. Maybe that's because of their oft-dystopian imagery, or maybe because I first read a lot of SciFi as an undergrad, late at night, alone in the library, with romantic loneliness and looming homework weighing heavily on my mind. Perhaps the editors share this malaise, because the premise of this collection is a very good one: optimistic SF. The collected short stories do not all fit the theme equally well, with the occasional bittersweet or even sad ending. But, although there's an awful lot of dystopia and doom, with swords of Damocles at every turn, the overall feeling is one of hope.

Quality ranges from not-quite-awful poetry to some very pleasant stories. There is the occasional bit of over-explanation, like you find in much science fiction, but the writing is generally good. Some of the thematically poorer stories leave you feeling a bit empty—they have just the one twist, like pulpy SciFi often has.

My favourites:
"Pin and Spanner" by Pat Flewwelling
"A Threadbare Carpet" by Kate Heartfield (Arabian Nights in a noir-ish modern dress)
"Proteus in the City" by Fiona Moore (probably the best from a writing standpoint)
"The Rosedale House" by Michael Reid ( )
1 vote lipi | Oct 19, 2018 |

Yanchak, NataliaContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bechtel, GregAfterwordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Parrish, RhondaIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Rhonda Parrish's book Nevertheless (Tesseracts Twenty-One) is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Rhonda Parrish is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,768,866 books! | Top bar: Always visible