Amazing Jewish Heroes Down Through The Ages…

Amazing Jewish Heroes Down Through The Ages

by David Richard Goldberg

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Amazing Jewish Heroes by David Richard Goldberg is a compilation of short articles about Jewish heroes through the ages. Some of the people will be familiar to anyone who has followed world events, but others, although probably unknown outside the Jewish community, are fascinating personalities.

Goldberg has compiled a list of people who range from humble, everyday beings who found themselves in situations where they rose above their fears and performed amazingly, while others were destined to become leaders of an entire country.

Anyone interested in military history will of course enjoy the book, but so will those who study religious history, two subjects that often find themselves at crossroads with each other. I thoroughly enjoyed Amazing Jewish Heroes and happily recommend it. ( )
  Sturgeon | Apr 13, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
It's a good introductory book. You're not going to get an in depth look into these peoples' lives but a snap shot that could peak your interest enough to move forward and learn more about them. I find this book best for the YA age group that is interested in learning about the Jewish people and the role they played in history since you're probably not learning about them in History class. ( )
  Amy_J | Apr 5, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This was an easy to read selection of short biographies of Jewish Heroes. Great material and fascinating stories of Jews reaching back to Biblical times. The author scatters leading questions throughout and makes the book accessible through the use of short, sentence structures. This work would be great for young readers, or even to be read aloud to children. Rather than an academic, historical account, the author is clearly attached to the subject matter and passionate about the figures. There is very little bibliographic information provided by the author and instead the author is more of the "storyteller around a campfire," excited to share his heritage with the next generation. ( )
  TheGilletteLibrary | Feb 12, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
For more reviews and bookish posts, please visit: http://www.ManOfLaBook.com

Amazing Jewish Heroes Down Through The Ages by David Richard Goldberg consists of short biographies of famous Jews. This is Mr. Goldberg’s second book.

Ever since I was a child I enjoyed short non-fiction stories, I remember looking for these books (inventors were my favorite) in every library or book shop I went into. Amazing Jewish Heroes Down Through The Ages by David Richard Goldberg is exactly the kind of book I would have liked as a young man, short, to the point, tells good stories, and keeps my attention.

The book goes through the biographies in logical, chronological order of eleven biographies. Starting with Queen Esther and Rabbi Akiva, ending with current Israeli leaders. The author includes two American Jewish heroes, Haym Salomon, a financier of the American Revolution which made the victory at Yorktown possible, as well as Commodore Uriah Phillips Levy, the first Jewish man to rise to that rank (he served during the American Civil War), and helped end flogging sailors. I heard the name of Mr. Levy before but couldn’t place it, when I looked him up I immateriality remembered that he was mentioned when the family and I visited Thomas Jefferson’s Monticello – Mr. Levy was the third owner of the estate and went to great lengths to restore the house after it fell into disrepair.

As I mentioned, these are short biographies and are most likely meant to introduce one to these people, and if they’re interested get a more comprehensive biography. In my opinion this book is suited for persons at the age range of 9 – 14 or thereabouts. That being said, anyone who enjoys non-fiction in short bits, or simply want a refresher on these important Jewish men and women will enjoy this book. ( )
  ZoharLaor | Feb 11, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I applaud this author's intentions in wanting to highlight Jewish bravery, and (unlike sometimes, I admit) it gives me no pleasure to write a critical review. But unfortunately I couldn't get past Goldberg's writing. He was clearly incredibly invested in making people feel how much danger and anxiety his chosen heroes had to deal with, and that comes through in the melodramatic interior monologues (What to do? Where to go?) and somewhat stilted conversations he's invented, as well as the overabundant use of exclamation points, probably designed to make every single incident in these people's lives that much more exciting. I was also disappointed in his selection -- only 11 people for several thousand years of history, and only two women among them -- so I'm afraid that, at least for me, this doesn't add to much to the books of Jewish heroes already out there. ( )
  bostonian71 | Feb 8, 2019 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

David Richard Goldberg's book Amazing Jewish Heroes is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,131,411 books! | Top bar: Always visible