Sense and Sensibility (1811)

by Jane Austen

31,95844562 (4.11)4 / 1509
Published in 1811, Sense and Sensibility has delighted generations of readers with its masterfully crafted portrait of two sisters, Elinor and Marianne Dashwood. Forced to leave their home after their father's death, Elinor and Marianne must rely on making good marriages as their means of support. But unscrupulous cads, meddlesome matriarchs, and various guileless and artful women impinge on their chances for love and happiness. The novelist Elizabeth Bowen wrote, "The technique of ÝJane Austen's novels¨ is beyond praise....Her mastery of the art she chose, or that chose her, is complete." This Modern Library Paperback Classics edition contains a new Introduction by Pulitzer Prize finalist David Gates, in addition to new explanatory notes.… (more)
Read (24)
1810s (7)

English (413)  Spanish (14)  Dutch (4)  Italian (3)  Swedish (3)  German (2)  Portuguese (1)  Catalan (1)  Finnish (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (443)
Sense and Sensibility isn’t my favorite Jane Austen—that’s always going to be Northanger Abbey—but the Ang Lee Sense and Sensibility movie is probably one of my top ten favorite movies so I do really like the book. Book Elinor isn’t quite as charming to me as Movie Elinor but since the latter was Emma Thompson that was obviously a high mountain to climb. ( )
  jobinsonlis | May 11, 2021 |
¡Dejen de leer las críticas de fans! jaja
Otro que me gusta mucho. ( )
  ItsAkirex | May 6, 2021 |
Young sisters of marriageable age but of little yearly allowance living in a cottage and taking long walks and meeting young men of marriageable age and falling in love but not communicating all that well about it and then being heartbroken when said men turn out to be actual walking turds but then forgiving same turds when they turn out to be not quite as awful as originally thought (but still pretty terrible, honestly).

So. Not nearly as good as Pride and Prejudice, but not terrible, either. Sort of. If I let myself think too hard about it, though, I could probably get pretty angry. I mean, the only actual decent man in the novel gets sidelined as a consolation prize?! Yoicks. Both sisters (as much as I do love Elinor) need a good sense-shaking-into and possibly a healthy smack upside the head. The wicked women in the plot were deliciously so, though, so there's that, I guess. ( )
  scaifea | Apr 18, 2021 |
It was interesting to read this again. Now I picked it up because it was a group read, but Sense and Sensibility was the first Austen I ever read and I read it in 1996 in Texas. As a teenager I looked at the story very differently than I did today. I remember I liked the writing, but I identified a lot with Marianne and I felt she didn't really get her happy ending. Now I think a bit differently. I still identify with Marianne, but I realize that even then there was a lot of Elinor in me as well. Maybe more than I thought. Also Marianne got a happy ending in her way. It's been interesting to reflect on what I thought then and what I think now. ( )
  RankkaApina | Feb 22, 2021 |
Every time I've read a Jane Austen book I go into it like 'oh, it's a classic so I guess I should read it' and then about two chapters in I'm utterly hooked and invested in the relationships and the social drama. ( )
  ashelocke | Feb 17, 2021 |

Is abridged in

Is parodied in

Inspired

Has as a study

Has as a commentary on the text

Has as a student's study guide

The family of Dashwood had been long settled in Sussex.
Well, I am convinced that there is a vast deal of inconsistency in almost every human character.
... Marianne, who had the knack of finding her way in every house to the library, however it might be avoided by the family in general, soon procured herself a book.
People always live for ever when there is any annuity to be paid to them.
She had an excellent heart; -- her disposition was affectionate, and her feelings were strong; but she knew how to govern them: it was a knowledge which her mother had yet to learn, and which one of her sisters had resolved never to be taught.
His temper might perhaps be a little soured by finding, like many others of his sex, that through some unaccountable bias in favour of beauty, he was the husband of a very silly woman, - but she knew that this kind of blunder was too common for any sensible man to be lastingly hurt by it.

Jane Austen (I 775— I 8 I 7) imajo za eno največjih angleških pisateljic. Odlikuje Jo iskriv čut za družabno komedijo in bistro 01(0 za medsebojne človeške odnose, pri tem pa Je izvrstna slikarka družinskih ritualov in družabnih šeg svojega časa. V svojih romanih spretno prepleta Ijubezenska razmerja z dramo in družbeno satiro, njeni orisi pa presegajo vsakršen časovni okvir Zato ji še danes ne manjka bralcev, saj yse njene romane vVeliki Britaniji ponatiskujejo že ves as od njihovega prvega izida, niti gledalcev, saj so vsa njena literarna dela ekranizirali, nekatera celo večkrat.
Umirajoči Henry Dashwood mora po zakonu posest izročiti sinu iz prvega zakona Johnu in njegovi soprogi Fanny. Dashwoodova druga žena in njune tri hčere, EIinor Marianne in Margaret se tako znajdejo brez strehe nad glavo in s komaj dovolj denarja za preživetje. Rozsodnost In rahločutnost je predvsem pripoved o dveh sestrah: stvarni, a ironični Elinor in strastní ter samosvoji Marianne, o zapletenih zadevah njunega ljubezenskega življenja ter boju s siromaštvom. V angleški družbi s konca osemnajstega stoletja, kjer najbolj cenijo bogastvo in družbeni prestiž, so ženskam zaprte yse poti do intelekĹualne in materialne samostojnosti, zato je poroka edino jamstvo, da na stara eta ne bosta v breme sorodnikom, To je prví objavljeni (čeprav ne tudi najprej napisani) roman Jane Austen, tudi tu pa se v vsej moči kaže pisateljičin dar, da s svojim pisanjem bralca ne spustí iz klešč radovednosti.
Besedo na ovitku: Max Modic

VIRAGO EDITION:
Marianne Dashwood subscribes to the fashionable cult of sensibility. Ardently avowing every fluctuation of emotion, she despises discretion and reticence. Her elder sister Elinor, whose feelings are no less sincere, is far more prudent and considerate and when her love for the shy, quiet Edward Ferrars is betrayed, she is sustained by her own calm dignity. The impetuous Marianne, however, scorns any concealment of her adoration for the dashing Willoughby...
While giving a vivid portrayal of the society and manners of her time, both in the country and in London, Jane Austen's chief preoccupation, handled with sympathy as well as astringency, is the effect of differing ideals and expectatioins. Though she satirises Marianne's emotional excesses, she is even harder on hyprocisy, selfishness and mercenary snobbery, giving us merciless wit and a wonderful story.
Elinor reasons,
Marianne catches a cold
And Lucy gets Bob.
(thorold)

5 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141439661, 0141028157, 0141040378, 014310652X, 0141199679

HarperCollins Childrens Books

An edition of this book was published by HarperCollins Childrens Books.

Bethany House

An edition of this book was published by Bethany House.

Urban Romantics

2 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 1909175048, 1909175056

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

West Margin Press

An edition of this book was published by West Margin Press.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,918,478 books! | Top bar: Always visible