Kingsbane (Empirium #2)

by Claire Legrand

Book two in the New York Timesbestselling series called "Beautiful, brutal, heart-stopping, and epic" (Laini Taylor)! Two queens, separated by thousands of years, connected by secrets and lies, must continue their fight amid deadly plots and unthinkable betrayals that will test their strength--and their hearts. Rielle Dardenne has been anointed Sun Queen, but her trials are far from over. The Gatekeeping the angels at bay is falling. To repair it, Rielle must collect the seven hidden castings of the saints. Meanwhile, to help her prince and love Audric protect Celdaria, Rielle must spy on the angel Corien--but his promises of freedom and power may prove too tempting to resist. Centuries later, Eliana Ferracora grapples with her new reality: She is the Sun Queen, humanity's long-awaited savior. But fear of corruption--fear of becoming another Rielle--keepsEliana's power dangerous and unpredictable. Hunted by all, racing against time to save her dying friend Navi, Eliana must decide how to wear a crown she never wanted--by embracing her mother's power, or rejecting it forever. Praise for Furyborn: A BuzzFeed Most Anticipated Title of Spring 2018 A Goodreads Most Anticipated Title of Spring 2018 A Bustle Most Anticipated Title of Spring 2018 "Amust-read." --Refinery29 "A series to watch." --Paste magazine "Visionary." --Bustle magazine "One of the biggest new YA fantasies." --Entertainment Weekly "Empowering." --BuzzFeed… (more)

I quite enjoyed the first novel in what is shaping up to be an absolutely epic YA fantasy trilogy, but Legrand really settles into the story in this second novel to cement her readers' attention.

From a storytelling and character perspective, she both broadens and narrow sthe scope of the story by changing up her storytelling technique slightly. The majority of the narrative is still told from the dual perspectives of Rielle and Eliana, but we are also treated to fleetingly rare chapters told from the points of view of other characters, notably our trip of lovers: Audric, Simon, and Corien. We're already highly invested in our dual female protagonists by this point in the storyline, so it's highly practical to keep us interested by changing perspective on some of the major plot points and it ensures that we don't simply view these three men/angels (and the rest of the cast) as supplementary characters. I'm sure I'm not the only reader who is disgusted with Corien's behaviour, but we can alomsot begin to understandhis vengeful nature and manipulations as we momentarily see through his eyes. Obviously I'm still hoping that he gets his just desserts in the form of a swift kick in the arse, but I'm sure deliverance will come with time. Getting into Simon's head was also a treat, considering the finale scenes of the novel (no spoilers!) and how crucial his unique magic is to the story development as well.

In terms of overall plot development we may be at a transtory phase in the story, as we are still building towards the finale, but this book is nothing if not a wild ride. We witness both Rielle and Eliana struggle to come to terms with their power (the former losing control and the later gaining some control), and we see the two plotlines finally intersect in a dramatic, though ultimately failed, climax. I'm not a huge fan of time-travel as a plot device (we know it doesn't fix anything), but Eliana's failure to convince Rielle of her impending doom sets us up niecly for Corien's obsessive quest for Eliana and her power in the more present timeline. What is even more prevalent in the dramatic events of the story is the emphasis on both Rielle's and Eliana's power, and how it has begun to corrupt and subsume any better nature that they have. Both were forced into epic roles that neither really wanted and their continual struggle to find peace through their power doesn't do much but to help drive them into madness and obsession.

It looks like it might be a while until the final book is released next year, but I for one am very much anticipating the conclusion. ( )
  JaimieRiella | Feb 25, 2021 |
This book left me ready to read the sequel, so it definitely deserves plenty of praise. I really enjoy the world of this fantasy novel, which the author has clearly spent considerable time creating and for which a rich history is evident. I did feel like the story lagged a bit in the middle, but overall, this book made for fun reading. ( )
  wagner.sarah35 | Dec 22, 2020 |
corielle saved my dark soul, but simoneliana bled my heart out.
what do you mean the third book comes out next year? is this a joke? is my life a joke to you claire legrand?
i definitely loved it even more than furyborn, the plot twists, the magic. just wow.
eliana definitely became so much interesting in this book - and at times - i even preferred her storyline.

if something happens to remy, i will kill everyone. ( )
  primordialnyx | Jun 24, 2020 |
Another satisfying sequel that takes the story in some very surprising directions. Ms. Legrand does not sacrifice character development while continuing to build her two worlds and provide more context for the upcoming final clash. In fact, she does a great job of doing both without causing any lag in the story. I am particularly excited about the major twist and cannot wait to see how it all ends.
  jmchshannon | Dec 31, 2019 |
The first 1/3 was almost excruciatingly slow... But that ending made up for it for me. ( )
  Zoesephine | Sep 25, 2019 |

Belongs to Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,456,639 books! | Top bar: Always visible