Hadassah, Queen Esther of Persia by Diana…

Hadassah, Queen Esther of Persia (edition 2019)

by Diana Wallis Taylor (Author)

12101,176,158 (4.2)None
"Work of historical fiction based on biblical book of Esther, the story of an orphaned Jewish girl who marries the king of Persia and saves her people" --
Member:PattiP1992
Title:Hadassah, Queen Esther of Persia
Authors:Diana Wallis Taylor (Author)
Info:Whitaker House (2019), 304 pages

Hadassah, Queen Esther of Persia by Diana Wallis Taylor

Hadassah, or Esther as she is more commonly referred to in the Bible, does an excellent job of taking the Biblical account of Esther and making it more personal. Diana Wallis Taylor does an excellent job of bringing the characters to life. Even though there are characters and details in the book that are not in the Bible, the basic premise of the story remains the same.

The storyline and characters were well-developed. I loved how the author gave the story a new depth. I felt the extra details enhanced the story for me. I enjoyed reading about the author’s view on how Esther may have come to live with her uncle Mordecai. I loved the relationships that were developed throughout the pages.

Some parts of the story stay completely true to the Biblical account such as Mordecai providing information that saved the king and how Vashti was removed from being queen. Other facts were changed, but I did not mind the changes.

Truly this is a book worth reading. So check it out for yourself.

I received a copy of this book for my fair and honest review. ( )
  PattiP1992 | Jul 18, 2019 |
What I think you should know:
Hadassah is a Biblical Fiction, based on Queen Esther.

What you might want to know:
While the story is fictionalized Diana Wallis Taylor, the author has used the bible as her framework for the story. She is brought the characters to life. We met Hadassah as a young orphan who came under the care of her “cousin” Mordecai. When then watched her grow up under his care until the day she was forced with all of the other beautiful women into waiting to be chosen of dismissed by the King.

What touched me about this book:
I have read the story of Esther many times, but I don’t know that I have really thought about what it would be like to be a young girl taken from the only life had known and forced into the King’s Harem only to wait. I also hurt for Hadassah over the sacrifices she had to make as Queen to stay in the good graces of Xerxes.

I really enjoyed this book and would highly recommend it to anyone to anyone who enjoys Biblical Fiction or to anyone who is interested in learning more about what the lives of Esther and Mordecai may have been like.

I received a complimentary copy for this book from Celebrate Lit, this in no way influenced my review. All opinions are my own. ( )
  DonnaC83 | Jul 16, 2019 |
People who are familiar with the Bible know that many of the stories are so amazing that they seem like fiction but they are, of course, indeed true. Hadassah's bravery; Mordecai's important job in the King's treasury and his intelligence and wisdom; and the very evil Haman are all important details in this book and they are all a part of the remarkable story that was recorded in the Book of Esther. It is a fact that God chose a young Jewish girl to complete His plan for his chosen people and that she was obedient to God's will but this biblical fiction book allows us to understand her uncertainty and to feel her fear as she readied herself to approach the king.
I appreciated the notes that the author shared in the back of her book. Taylor admits that she doesn't know if Esther and Xerses had a loving marriage but she chose to write it as such because of the Scriptures that state that the king 'loved her above all the other women'. She also shares that there is a tomb in present-day Iran that carries the names of Esther and Mordecai and it is believed that they were buried there.
I enjoyed Hadassah: Queen Esther of Persia and I recommend it to all who enjoy Christian romance and historical or biblical fiction.
I received a complimentary copy through Celebrate Lit. I have voluntarily chosen to share my honest thoughts. ( )
  fcplcataloger | Jul 13, 2019 |
This was a very good version of what Queen Esther might have really been like. I love biblical fiction and this was very well written. I enjoyed how the author wrote about each character. I felt so sorry for those young women and there families. I am glad I did not live back then. I received a copy of this book from Celebratelit for a fair and honest opinion that I gave of my own free will. ( )
  Virginia51 | Jul 13, 2019 |
One of the best things about this book is how the author takes a story from the bible and brings it to life. I could picture Hadassah as a young girl. She was in awe of her new home after losing her family. She is taken to a place by relatives that bring her a better life. I loved reading how she honored her new life and respected those who were her new parents.

The beauty of the land, the people at the market place and the grand banquet all make the story so realistic. I can't imagine what it would be like to line the streets waiting for a glimpse of the King. His power was felt throughout the land and some feared that a war was soon to break out. I loved reading how Hadassah became Queen Esther.

I appreciate the authors research done for this book and added a depth of biblical truth to the story. Some parts of the story did bring up how Jews were treated and had to be careful around certain people while in the marketplace. I enjoyed getting to know how it might have been for Esther as she became Queen and the decisions she had to make. I always enjoy retelling of bible stories when the author can capture the heart of the characters and make us think about what it must have been like living during times of danger and uncertainty. Overall the story was good and makes for a great book to see what life may have been like for Esther who became Queen.

I received a copy of this book from Celebrate Lit. The review is my own opinion. ( )
  Harley0326 | Jul 13, 2019 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,570,563 books! | Top bar: Always visible