Murders and Metaphors

by Amanda Flower

USA Todaybestselling author Amanda Flower is back with the third in her more-charming-than-ever Magical Bookshop mystery. Fans of Sofie Kelly and Heather Blake, prepare your bookshelves! Niagara region booksellers Violet Waverly and Grandma Daisy sleuth the slaying of a sommelier whose book signing turned into her sayonara. January means ice wine season in the Niagara Falls region, but the festivities leave Charming Books owner Violet Waverly cold, still reeling from a past heartbreak. A past heartbreak who will be present at the annual midnight grape-harvest festival, and no magic in the world or incantation powerful enough could get Violet to attend. But Grandma Daisy, an omniscient force all on her own, informs Violet that she's already arranged for the mystical Charming Books to host celebrity sommelier Belinda Perkins's book signing at the party. Little do either Waverly women know, the ice wine festival will turn colder still when Violet finds Belinda in the middle of the frozen vineyard-with a grape harvest knife protruding from her chest. Belinda grew up in Cascade Springs, but she left town years ago after a huge falling-out with her three sisters. One of those sisters, Violet's high school friend Lacey Dupont, attends the book signing in the hope of making amends with her sister, but Belinda and Lacey end up disrupting the signing with a very public shouting match and Lacey quickly becomes the prime suspect in the sommelier's murder. Violet is sure Lacey is innocent, and to keep her friend out of prison, Violet asks for guidance from her magical bookshop. The shop's ethereal essence points her to Louisa May Alcott's Little Women, but what have the four March sisters to do with the four Perkins sisters? If she can't figure it out, Violet, herself, may turn as cold as ice. Violet, Grandma Daisy, Emerson the tuxedo cat, and resident crow Faulkner are back on the case in Murders and Metaphors, USA Todaybestselling author Amanda Flower's enchanting third Magical Bookshop mystery.… (more)

⭐⭐⭐⭐
What a great book, I think the series is really hitting it’s stride with this one. A wonderful main character Violet, her eccentric sidekick Grandma Daisy, a village full of charming and quirky characters and the two best pets in crime solving fiction. Emerson a cat who comes across the dead body and Faulkner the crow who’s always spouting advice. Along with a magical bookstore in a Victorian house.

“Charming Books, where the perfect book picks you. Can I help you?” I asked in a breathless voice.

I love all the literary references in the book, most are from Little Woman but there are also a few others along the way.

The only thing I didn’t love and why I knocked one star off was because Violet seems intent to keep the magical nature of the shop and her role as caretaker from Rainwater the man she loves. I hate it when loving characters keep secrets from each other. I hope she comes clean in the next book.

Another nice thing about this book, in a genre that seems to be almost exclusively white we have a Native American Chief of Police and an African American poet. It's great to see some diversity. Let’s hope other authors in the genre follow Flower’s lead.

Cozies Reading Challenge ( )
  kevn57 | Dec 8, 2021 |
The third book in the Magical Bookshop series is just as charming as the first two!

When a respected wine expert and author is stabbed in the back following a book signing, one of the top suspects is Violet Waverly’s friend Lacey, the estranged sister of the victim. Determined to clear her friend’s name, Violet finds no shortage of enemies to investigate — but the magical essence of her bookstore is pointing her toward Little Women and Lacey’s other sisters. Meanwhile, Violet’s friendship with the town’s police chief might be budding into something more, if her secret about the bookshop didn’t stand in between them.

There’s never a dull moment in the village of Cascade Springs. And with the interesting turn of events at the end of the book, I can’t wait to see how Violet and Grandma Daisy’s lives change in the next one! ( )
  vvbooklady | May 6, 2021 |
Charming Books is handling a book signing at Morton Vineyards with a famous wine reviewer and author. A murder happens and Violet stumbles upon the body. Mrs. Morton, of course, blames Violet for the bad publicity at the winery. So Vi does as she always does. She investigates especially when one of the suspects is her best friend, Lacey.

This book was really good. The story was realistic. I had a hard time putting it down. Things happen in the bookstore when David is there and Violet needs to decide to trust him or not. She also learns much about Nathan that she can use to help her close her past. I did not figure out who the murderer was until the murderer comes out at the end of the book. This is the best book of the series so far. I cannot wait to read the next book and I hope more are coming. ( )
  Sheila1957 | Mar 2, 2021 |
These books are like eating popcorn - one after another. This one was kind enough to get rid of an annoying character, put another in prison, consign a third to the 'well that's over' pile, and hook our protagonist up with the right guy. Very satisfying and so much fun. ( )
  whymaggiemay | Jan 5, 2021 |
Violet Waverly is the Caretaker of the Charmed Book Store. She had recently taken over the duties from her Grandma Daisy. It's not just any book store. A 200 year old birch tree thrives in the center of the old Victorian. Living in the tree is a chatty crow named Faulkner, and a cat named Emerson also lives there. Violet and her Grandma were preparing for a book signing at the local Morton Winery, owned by Violet's former boyfriend's family. The book signing was being done by a well known wine expert who happened to be the oldest sister of one of Violet's best friends. The signing wasn't without it's problems, especially when the author is found dead in outside in the vineyard. Violet and her Grandma set out to solve the crime with clues given by the bookstore itself as well as with the help of the local police chief. This was an enjoyable fast read. I love the characters and the setting of the story. Very enjoyable. ( )
  Raspberrymocha | Jan 2, 2021 |

Belongs to Series

Some people seemed to get all sunshine, and some all shadow...
Louisa May Alcott, Little Women
For my Dear Readers, You brought Violet and Charming Books back to life.
The cold wind bit into my bare cheeks and the tip of my nose as I ran down the snow-coverd path like I was being pursued by a pack of wolves.

Amanda Flower is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,246,275 books! | Top bar: Always visible