Back Stabbers (The Country Club Murders Book…

Back Stabbers (The Country Club Murders Book 8) (edition 2018)

by Julie Mulhern (Author)

Member:cyderry
Title:Back Stabbers (The Country Club Murders Book 8)
Authors:Julie Mulhern (Author)
Info:Henery Press (2018), 224 pages
Collections:READ, OWNED
Rating:****1/2
Tags:COZY MYSTERY, ^2018, Tablet, recently, moreseries2018

Back Stabbers (The Country Club Murders Book 8) by Julie Mulhern

No tags.

Ellison has a meeting with her stockbroker but has been waiting a long time, so when she finally gets perturbed enough by the sick person sitting next to her in the waiting room to ask to wait in the office, of course, Ellison is the one who finds him dead at his desk.

Ellison not only tries to determine who murdered her broker, she is also trying to get the remaining partners to stop harassing the female staff. Caught in between the murder investigation and her family issues (her new to her half sister wants to visit and has a history with Anarchy) Ellison is juggling her emotions as well as mourners who aren't mourning.

This a great addition to the series, the characters are still just as fun as ever and the events/actions that take place just make me laugh! I would have given 5 stars but there wasn't enough Frances in this book! ( )
  cyderry | Nov 8, 2018 |
Ellison Russell has been waiting somewhat impatiently for her meeting with her stockbroker. She's getting distraught because the other woman, remaining in this close waiting room is what Ellison describes as a "Germ, masquerading as a woman" she demands to wait in her broker's office. Big mistake for Ellison, as soon as his secretary leads her back to Winthrop Marshall's office and opens the door, Ellison finds out why Mr. Marshall has been keeping her waiting, let's say he's not late getting into the office as previously told, he never left from the night before. To add insult to injury that she's found another dead body, she's never going to think of Winthrop Marshall in the same way. He was not an attractive man fully clothed but partially clothed the image is just too much for her to compute. As she recovers from her shock, she calls her favorite coffee eyed, Detective Anarchy Jones to inform him of her latest find. Ellison is pretty old hat regarding dead bodies much to her society mother's chagrin. It seems like if there is a dead body to stumble over it, Ellison is quite adept of righting herself on her Gucci's when finds one.
This series set is in mid 70's and, whether you were born in that era, or not a few things may go over your head, but it's written so well that you will that you'll not get lost.
I love how Ms. Mullhern weaves her mysteries around that era, including but not limited to her love affair with her Mr. Coffee, and the references to Harvest Gold and Avocado Green kitchen appliances. Some things that were left in that era were for the best believe me. The one that got me laughing and still does is when Anarchy is trying to reel Ellison in by letting her know that she isn't Pepper Martin. That was a top-rated television series starring Angie Dickenson. It's was called "Police Woman," and it was instrumental in my career choice. That was when I was bitten by the police bug; I thought I would be able to dress to the nines and solve crimes without breaking a sweat. This series has so much more to love than the '70's era. It's plain fun; this book had several different sub-plots going so you after you finish this book you find your find yourself wondering how long was I sitting here?
The settings, witty dialog and characters make this a must-read for any cozy mystery fan. When you pick this book up, be prepared not to get anything done for the rest of the day. You'll find yourself teleported back with Ellison Russell and her quirky family.
I want to thank The Henery Press and Edelweiss for providing me with a copy of this e-galley in exchange for my honest review. The opinions I expressed above are my own. ( )
  sj1335 | Oct 10, 2018 |
Ellison Russell has a problem: she's gone to see her broker regarding her stock portfolio, and when she enters the office, she finds him dead. Another body. Her mother will be horrified, her homicide detective boyfriend Anarchy will be resigned. And her father...her father has a surprise for her as well: her older half-sister Karma has decided to visit, and he wants her to stay at Ellison's, since he hasn't even told her mother yet.

Of course, she knows her mother will be furious, but she doesn't have a choice if their marriage has any chance of survival after this comes to light; and it doesn't help when she discovers that Anarchy already knows Karma, and has for a long time. Only the dead stockbroker keeps getting in the way, especially since Anarchy asks for her help on the case. With an office full of attractive women to sift through, did one of them kill the man? Or are more sinister forces at work trying to keep anyone from finding out the truth? But what will she do about Karma? And how do she and Anarchy know each other? How is her mother going to deal with it all? And what's a girl to do when she's stuck smack dab in the middle of murder?...

Ellison Russell is a widow with a teenage daughter in Kansas City, Missouri. She's a well-respected artist born of money who has a full life, loving parents, a faithful housekeeper and a devotion to Mr. Coffee. It is the world of the 1970's before technology became king and people had to either visit or use a telephone to communicate with each other; a simpler life - or so you would think. But not in the case of Ellison, who has a knack of finding dead bodies on a regular basis, and this day is no different. Unfortunately, the bodies don't stop with just one, and Ellison's going to need a lot of coffee to keep up.

This is the eighth book in the series, and a wonderful addition as such. Ms. Mulhern writes characters that are lively and believable; with plenty of sarcasm, wit, intelligence and even, at times, venom. Ellison has grown from an insecure young widow into an independent woman who's not about to allow anyone to steamroll over her, friend and foe alike.

The tale is often funny listening to Ellison's thoughts in her head while she's dealing with the unwanted drama around her. Even while she manages to maintain a semblance of her life - still going to play bridge and chair various committees along with attending parties, she also has the addition of a new half-sister to deal with, learning to find her way in navigating a relationship with a sister she doesn't know anything about.

While she's delving into the murders of three people (don't worry; she didn't find all of the bodies); she's dealing with the fallout of such and juggling not only assorted mourners but the fact that there were many more who didn't mourn at all. Watching her figure out who had the greatest motive - and just exactly if and/or how they were connected is quite an absorbing tale.

There is plenty of intrigue, secrets and lies, and watching Ellison put it all together is quite a delightful journey to take. While I wouldn't want to find myself in the nest of vipers that Ellison calls her friends, this is one woman who is well able to deal with it and come out on top.

When everything comes together and the murder is finally discovered, we realize that the clues were there all along yet we were looking down other paths - exactly as both the murderer and Ms. Mulhern expected us to do until the end. Another admirable entry in the series and I look forward to the next, which can't be soon enough for me. Highly recommended. ( )
  joannefm2 | Oct 3, 2018 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,627,941 books! | Top bar: Always visible