The Ruin of Kings (Chorus of Dragons, 1) by…

The Ruin of Kings (Chorus of Dragons, 1) (original 2019; edition 2020)

by Jenn Lyons (Autor)

TO BE PRODUCED INTO A MAJOR TELEVISION SERIES FROM ANNAPURNA TV"What an extraordinary book . . . enthralling and deeply, deeply satisfying. I loved it" Lev Grossman, author of The MagiciansWhat if you weren't the hero? Kihrin grew up on tales of long-lost princes and grand quests - despite being raised in a brothel, making money as a musician and street thief. One day he overreaches by targeting an absent noble's mansion, hunting for jewels. There he witnesses a prince performing a terrifying dark-magic ritual. Kihrin flees but he's marked by a demon and his life will never be the same again. That night also leads to him being claimed as a lost son of that prince's royal house. But far from living the dream, Kihrin finds himself practically a prisoner, at the mercy of his new family's power plays and ambitions. He must also discover why his murderous father finds Kihrin more valuable alive than dead. Soon Kihrin attempts to escape his relative's dangerous schemes, but finds himself in far deeper waters. He becomes tangled in a plot to kill the Emperor, rob the Imperial Vaults, claim a god-slaying sword and free bound demons to wreak havoc across the land. Kihrin also discovers the old tales lied about many things: dragons, demons, gods, prophecies, true love - and the hero always winning. But maybe Kihrin isn't fated to save the empire. He's destined to destroy it.The Ruin of Kings is the first book in Jenn Lyons's epic new series.PRAISE FOR THE RUIN OF KINGS"A virtually un-put-down-able read" Kirkus Reviews"A fantastic page-turner with a heady blend of great characters" John Gwynne, author of A Time of Dread"its lore and memorable characters will leave epic fantasy fans eager for the second volume." Publishers Weekly (starred review)… (more)
Member:woods5402
Title:The Ruin of Kings (Chorus of Dragons, 1)
Authors:Jenn Lyons (Autor)
Info:Tor Books (2020), 738 pages

Work Information

The Ruin of Kings by Jenn Lyons (2019)

English (22)  German (1)  All languages (23)

I wanted to like this. I really really wanted to like this but when you find yourself skimming more pages than you can count then you know there's no hope and it a goner. I wasn't able to build any connection whatsoever with the characters and storyline, and more often than not it felt like a chore to continue reading this. I was at the halfway mark before deciding to drop it like it was hot before I was completely bored of tears. Sadly enough this failed to meet my expectations and I was not the right type of reader for this novel.
  ayoshina | Jul 31, 2022 |
*I received an ARC copy for review on my blog tour stop. This does not affect my review*

I really enjoyed the world-building and magic in this one! Plenty of the things I look for, and even crave in fantasy were in this, as well as some pretty cool concepts I haven't seen before! I went into this blind, and I'll admit I'm glad I did! There is so much going on at all times, and I felt like I had whip-lash at a few points switching between the three POVs, but I ended up really enjoying the characters, and found most of the book easy to follow.
  Bookslesstravelled | Apr 15, 2022 |
It's in a split timeline - jumping back and forth between two points in the characters life - which I hate. But it's also highly imaginative. I came across a couple elements that I hadn't seen in other books. Might give it a reread to see if it makes more sense and I am going to give the sequel a chance. ( )
  KaitlinY | Feb 24, 2022 |
I picked this book up on a whim and am now anxious to finish the series! It was a bit outside of my normal reading material just because of the lack of romance and overt drama, so it didn't hold my undivided attention like some other books do and it take a bit longer than usual to get through. But every time I picked up the book I was blown away by how well written and how creative the plot was. Everything you could ask for was present, from a witty and sarcastic main character, to an dragons and necromancy. I loved they way that the story was told, as a recounting of events with footnotes and I especially appreciated that things weren't over explained. Sometimes in complex fantasy stories the narrative is overexplained to ensure that all readers understand each and every piece, but some things were left for the reader to infer in ruin of kings which I appreciated. Overall it was a very good book, and I look forward to reading the rest of the series! ( )
  sedodge | Jan 6, 2022 |
I couldn't put it down. Came to me at the right time. Confusing at points but I'm excited for the presumed sequel. ( )
  nosborm | Oct 10, 2021 |

Jenn Lyonsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Grant-West, LarsCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stafford-Hill, JamieCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

For David, who gave me the first seed, and Mike, who helped me nurture thad seedling into a whole world. And for Kihrin's three fathers: Steve, Katt, and Patrick. He wouldn't be the same without you.
Your Majesty,

Enclosed within is a full accounting of the events that led up to the burning of the Capital.

Kihrin is a bastard orphan who grew up on storybook tales of long-lost princes and grand quests. When he is claimed against his will as the long-lost son of a treasonous prince, Kihrin finds that being a long-lost prince isn't what the storybooks promised.

Far from living the dream, Kihrin finds himself practically a prisoner, at the mercy of his new family's power plays and ambitions. He also discovers that the storybooks have lied about a lot of other things things, too: dragons, demons, gods, prophecies, true love, and how the hero always wins.

Then again, maybe he’s not the hero, for Kihrin isn’t destined to save the empire.

He’s destined to destroy it.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 177,116,841 books! | Top bar: Always visible