You must not miss by Katrina Leno

You must not miss (edition 2019)

by Katrina Leno

One of Us Is Lying meets Carrie in this suspenseful story of friendship, family, and revenge. Magpie Lewis started writing in her yellow notebook the day after her family self-destructed. The day her father ruined her mother's life. The day Eryn, Magpie's sister, skipped town and left her to fend for herself. The day of Brandon Phipp's party. Now Magpie is called a slut in the hallways of her high school, her former best friend won't speak to her, and she spends her lunch period with a group of misfits who've all been as socially exiled as she has. And so, feeling trapped and forgotten, Magpie retreats to her notebook, dreaming up a magical place called Near. Near is perfect - a place where her father never cheated, her mother never drank, and Magpie's own life never derailed so suddenly. She imagines Near so completely, so fully, that she writes it into existence, right in her own backyard. At first, Near is a peaceful escape, but soon it becomes something darker, somewhere nightmares lurk and hidden truths come to light. Soon it becomes a place where Magpie can do anything she wants...even get her revenge. You Must Not Miss is an intoxicating, twisted tale of magic, menace, and the monsters that live inside us all.… (more)

This was a haunting, sad, and lyrical novel about parental neglect, trauma, and revenge. It has a similar premise to Coraline, but with a more adult outcome. Probably not Leno's best, but definitely up there.

Trigger warning: sexual assault, alcoholism ( )
  angelgay | Jul 1, 2020 |
*I WAS PROVIDED A PHYSICAL ARC FROM NOVL IN RETURN FOR AN HONEST REVIEW. THIS DOES NOT AFFECT MY OPINION*

Do y'know those books that just kind of surprise you and shock you into realizing they're turning into something you didn't see coming?

Well, You Must Not Miss is one of those.

Magpie is a character I'm sure we can all relate to in one way or another. Her best friend turned on her, her best friend's boyfriend forced her to do something against her will, her dad cheated on her mom with her aunt, her mom is an alcoholic, her sister left her to fend for herself, and she's pretty much losing it. Did that cover everything?

This book was angsty and dramatic; exactly what I needed after reading so many frilly, happy books for the past month and a half. However, with this came some sections that were iffy and pretty slow. Good news is that, when those came, they usually passed super quickly.

Something I found interesting was the fantasy elements in this book. After pretty much giving into life's letdowns, Magpie discovers that a world she's thought up and imagined for the longest time has come into existence... and so has her "subconscious".

Another interesting thing to pay attention to in this novel was the inner turmoil the main character dealt with. This book was a little all over the place, and the reason I state this is for those who are reading comprehension people like me. That "all over the place" vibe is due to the mental struggles Magpie faces, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

All in all, I did enjoy this book. It was different, and I definitely liked how the author implemented different genres together. All the characters developed thoroughly, and the plot moved along. For this, I rate You Must Not Miss 3.75 stars, and I do suggest you pick up this book and give it a chance. ( )
  booking_belle | Nov 8, 2019 |
Honestly I'm kinda confused with this book. Really hard to underatand at least for me.
A girl is a misfit for lack of words and makes up her own world where everything is perfect. Other then that I'm confused by the rest of it :/ ( )
  nibbles_243 | Oct 28, 2019 |
4.0

For many teens, the worlds cruelty doesn't just happen in a single cataclysmic event. Life's struggles are large, and come in twos, threes, etc. For Magpie, she has been dealt a rotten hand, and the only way to get through it is to create her own world. A world to help her deal with her alcoholic mother, adulteress father, the loss of a best friend, her plummeting grades, and an awful secret she has been running from. Leno incorporates the element of magical realism deftly into Magpies story in a way that is both scary and heart breaking. I truly enjoyed this book. I recommend for any fan of hard hitting contemporary fiction that have elements of magical realism. Just keep in mind that when this book hits hard, it is a gut punch.

Jonez | Oct 24, 2019 |
I received this book for free from The NOVL in exchange for an honest review.

Going into this book, I had no idea what to expect. But damn, this book was so unique and different that I ended up loving it.

When the book started, I wasn’t super into it since it started off like any other high school drama. There’s the bullied girl who befriends other outcasts, the mean girl, etc. To me it seemed to be going down a path that I’ve seen one too many times.

Then about halfway through, the magical realism element to the story came out and it got weird. But I liked it. As the book progressed, it got darker and even more weird. And I still liked it. A lot. The whole plot and storyline just worked for me.

What really made the book successful was the the writing style. It went so well with the book. It was easy to read and captured the mood and tone of the book perfectly. It had that contemporary feel with more mysterious and darker undertones.

Overall, this is one of those books that you have to read for yourself to see if you like it. It’s so unique and different that it’s hard for me to say who would enjoy it. It may be a bit bizarre for some people, but for me that was what made me like it so much. ( )
  oddandbookish | Mar 17, 2019 |

Katrina Lenoprimary authorall editionscalculated
Nguyen, TranCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,456,310 books! | Top bar: Always visible