We Contain Multitudes by Sarah Henstra

We Contain Multitudes (original 2019; edition 2020)

by Sarah Henstra (Author)

19021115,287 (3.79)4
As penpals for a high school English assignment, poetry-loving sophomore Jonathan and popular-athlete senior Adam explore their growing relationship through a series of letters.
Member:pholbrook17
Title:We Contain Multitudes
Authors:Sarah Henstra (Author)
Info:Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (2020), Edition: Reprint, 384 pages
Collections:Audible

Work Information

We Contain Multitudes by Sarah Henstra (2019)

Overall, this book was a satisfying read. I loved the dynamic between the characters and the unreliability of the narrators through their letters, but I agree with most when I say that the execution of the whole book being written in letter form was a little strained. I thought the romance was also rather rushed, but overall I did enjoy the book. ( )
  klcarmack | Nov 12, 2021 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Epistolary novels are difficult to pull off, but Henstra does a wonderful job here.

Twenty-two years ago, I complied an annotated bibliography of YA novels about homosexuality for a college class. It was hard to find enough books on the theme to complete the assignment; there were only a few which had a main character who was struggling with their sexuality and none who were "out". If I were doing it now, I would have a wealth of choice and I would put this tale right at the top of the list. The characters are great, the pacing solid and the story engaging.

I received a free copy of this book from the publisher for review. ( )
  fionaanne | Nov 11, 2021 |
teen queer romance written in form of letters traded between a hard-shelled, ex-jock super-senior (should have graduated last year but was kept back) and a picked-on sophomore who is openly gay and who dresses like Walt Whitman on purpose.
Each character's voice is smart and witty, and as time passes you see their tender parts emerge--the love letters they eventually start writing to each other are beautiful and heartache-y (and occasionally pretty steamy). So GOOD! Even if you aren't a Walt fan, this is impulsively readable. You will need to have tissues handy.
*SPOILER ALERT*
potential triggers--lots of trauma sustained by both characters--physical abuse, physical assault, homophobic speech, plus grief over loss of mother who turned out to be an opiate/heroin addict. ( )
  reader1009 | Jul 3, 2021 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
First off, I always like a book that refers to other books. It makes me hope that whomever reads the book will also want to read the books that have been mentioned.
We Contain Multitudes is taken from Whitman's poem 'Song of Myself' (I am large, I contain multitudes. I concentrate toward them that are nigh, I wait on the door-slab. ... To think that we are now here, and bear our part! ). Beautiful.
We Contain Multitudes is a book told from two perspectives through letters written to each other. Another of my favourite formats for books. Poetry and letters... what's not to love? ( )
  kpolhuis | Apr 20, 2021 |
holy cow. these sweet, sweet boys, Little Jo, Kurl. My heart beats for you and I wish you both the best.
  __conni | Aug 7, 2020 |

Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe meets I'll Give You the Sun in an exhilarating and emotional novel about the growing relationship between two teen boys, told through the letters they write to one another.

Jonathan Hopkirk and Adam "Kurl" Kurlansky are partnered in English class, writing letters to one another in a weekly pen pal assignment. With each letter, the two begin to develop a friendship that eventually grows into love. But with homophobia, bullying, and devastating family secrets, Jonathan and Kurl struggle to overcome their conflicts and hold onto their relationship...and each other.

This rare and special novel celebrates love and life with engaging characters and stunning language, making it perfect for fans of Jandy Nelson, Nina LaCour, and David Levithan.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Sarah Henstra's book We Contain Multitudes was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,317,083 books! | Top bar: Always visible