Sorcery of Thorns by Margaret Rogerson

Sorcery of Thorns (original 2019; edition 2019)

by Margaret Rogerson (Author)

When apprentice librarian Elisabeth is implicated in sabotage that released the library's most dangerous grimoire, she becomes entangled in a centuries-old conspiracy that could mean the end of everything.
Member:SheLovesMaisie
Title:Sorcery of Thorns
Authors:Margaret Rogerson (Author)
Info:Margaret K. McElderry Books (2019), 464 pages
Collections:Your library, Fiction, To be read, Hardcover
Tags:DDC800 Literature, DDC813 Literature-American Literature-American Fiction, young adult, fantasy

Sorcery of Thorns by Margaret Rogerson (2019)

“When terrible things have happened to you, sometimes the promise of something good can be just as frightening.”Who knew I could read (and enjoy) a fantasy book in the middle of summer - peak contemporary season! But I had a great time with Sorcery of Thorns.

Sorcery of Thorns is a magical story of books, demons, and knowledge woven together in a compelling story. Orphaned and raised in a library, Elisabeth was raised to fear magic and those who wield it, while respecting the power that their grimoires create. When unexpected magic is released across different libraries, Elisabeth suspects foul play and must work with sorcerer Nathaniel Thorn to uncover the culprit.

I immediately loved Silas and he took me through the ringer emotionally, but his snark and deep love for Nathaniel was so pure.
The magic system in this world is so unique and amazing. I love when things are personified in stories - things, place, you name it I like it. And I loved that the grimoires each had their own personalities and histories. And the culture around libraries and their reverence - and fear - around them was super interesting.
Besides Silas, I did really like the other characters in the story as well. They felt fully developed and unique, which is always appreciated. Nathaniel was sucha aflirt and charmer it was easy to fall for him. And Elisabeth is so inquisitve and moral that it’s so easy to follow her POV.

I don’t know if it was just me, but I had the hardest time picturing the grimoires, especially when they became corrupted. While I loved the magic surrounding them - it wasn’t super clear to me.
I feel like the romance was just super generic and insta-lovey. It wasn’t bad really, but I don’t think it added anything to the story or characters.

I do think I enjoyed this more than Margaret Rogerson’s previous work, but she clearly knows how to craft unique and compelling fantasy. Sorcery of Thorns is a story of questioning and action that pulls you in from the first page.
  LifeofaLiteraryNerd | Oct 9, 2019 |
This did not work for me. It had a decent spine, but a sort of now stumble over this, then bump into that flow, and all the attractive bits and shards glued in from other more mature fantasies without forming any clear pattern. The use of metallics in the cover is great. ( )
  quondame | Sep 23, 2019 |
Elisabeth grew up in one of the Great Libraries, and her dream has always been to become a librarian, caretaker to the grimoires, dangerous, sentient books of magic. When mysterious events occur, she finds herself caught up in and falsely accused of a plot that could bring to an end the Great Libraries, and the larger world as well. She also finds herself in the company of the sorcerer Nathaniel Thorn, whom she doesn’t trust... at least, not at first...

I was bound to enjoy this library-centric fantasy. It’s a stand-alone, which is also a point in its favor. My listening experience of the audiobook was broken up because I didn’t get it finished before it went back, and then I had to wait a few weeks to get it again. So, I’m not sure I’m a good judge of the pacing in this case. I will say that I’m not sure what I think of the ending. I like it, but I’m not sure I approve of it. (If you’ve read the book, I’d be glad to discuss what I mean by that!) Recommended for readers of YA fantasy. ( )
  foggidawn | Aug 25, 2019 |
“Ink and parchment flowed through her veins. The magic of the Great Libraries lived in her very bones. They were a part of her, and she a part of them.”

Raised in the Great Library of Summershall, foundling Elisabeth Scrivener has grown up with no other desire than to become a Warden in service to the Collegium, to wield an iron sword, and protect the kingdom from the powerful grimoires that line the shelves of the six Great Library’s of Austemeer.

“For these were not ordinary books the libraries kept. They were knowledge, given life. Wisdom, given voice. They sang when starlight streamed through the library’s windows. They felt pain and suffered heartbreak. Sometimes they were sinister, grotesque—but so was the world outside. And that made the world no less worth fighting for, because wherever there was darkness, there was also so much light.”

But Elisabeth’s dream is shattered when she is accused of a deadly act of sabotage that results in the death of her mentor, the Summershall Director. Ordered to stand trial in the Capital, she is escorted by Nathaniel Thorn, a young Magister with a fearsome reputation, and his demon servant, Silas. Raised to believe the worst of sorcery, and those who wield it, Elisabeth doesn’t expect to even survive the journey, but she will face a far greater danger at her destination, where the real saboteur waits.

“She saw no way out of the trap he had built for her. Escape wasn’t an option. If she attempted to run, he would know that she suspected him, and the game would come to an end. She would lose any chance she had left to expose him, however small.”

Sorcery of Thorns is an enchanting young adult fantasy novel offering adventure, suspense, humour, and romance.

I thought Rogerson did a great job of character development.
Elisabeth quickly sheds the innocence of her sheltered background, but not her idealism. She proves to be intelligent, resourceful and courageous, and is determined to end the threat to Austemeer, no matter the cost to herself.
Nathaniel is a bit of a tortured hero, with a tragic backstory. I particularly enjoyed his sense of humour.
The romance between Elisabeth and Nathaniel is not too rushed, and I found it sweet.
Silas, with his impeccable manners and yellow eyes, almost steals the show.

I loved the world building, the settings are easily imagined, from the home of Nathaniel to the halls, and secret passages, of the Great Library. And what reader can resist the idea of a library where books grumble, and sigh, and sing, and whisper? A book provoked, becomes a Malefict, a terrifying monster that has the potential to maim and kill. Iron and salt are weapons that keep them bound.

“Knowledge always has the potential to be dangerous. It is a more powerful weapon than any sword or spell.”

I was enthralled by the Sorcery of Thorns, though near 500 pages long, I found it a quick read. Charming, exciting and entertaining, the novel is written as a stand alone, but I’d love to return to this world. ( )
  shelleyraec | Jul 29, 2019 |
I somehow got an ARC of this - How?!!?
So so excited to pick this up!
  SaraChook | Jun 19, 2019 |
For all the girls who founds themselves in books.
Night fell as death rode into the Great Library of Summershall.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,799,619 books! | Top bar: Always visible