Boys Will Be Boys by Clementine Ford

Boys Will Be Boys

by Clementine Ford

Despite vehement protestations from various fringe-dwelling men's movements, "Boys Will Be Boys" by Clementine Ford, is not a man-bashing manifesto, but more an in-depth examination into how our current cultural practices and ideals of manhood and mate-ship, are failing our boys (and in turn our girls).

The book is a follow up to her amazing and powerful memoir "Fight Like a Girl", and is written in the same easy-to-read style. It is well-researched (she doesn't make any statement or use any statistic without thorough referencing it) and contains many frightening real world examples. The letter to her son in the final chapter of the books is particularly heart-wrenching, and a reminder that we need to nurture and support our boys as they grow into men. A must for all parents, boys, girls, men and women. ( )
  SarahEBear | Jan 23, 2019 |
This is an important book.
If you are male, or if you are the parent of a boy, you should read this.
I am sure that Ms Ford will cop considerable shit as a result of this publication, but that will just prove she is right.
I wish there had been something like this for me to read when I was 16 years old. ( )
  buttsy1 | Jan 21, 2019 |
This book is written in the style of an extended blog post or article. It is conversational and engaging but has many references to Australian events in 2018 which will date quickly. It is a book of the moment, decrying misogynistic practices which harm women and men. The book starts strongly with hope that the author's young son will grow up learning to respect women. However what follows does not really suggest a way for that to happen; rather it is a collection of mild rants against Mens' Rights Activists, the state of women in politics in Australia, gender representation in movies and the legal system as it pertains to rape, The book is weakest when relying on sources from the USA, whose 'rape culture' is different from ours. The low point is a catalogue of men (many American) who have been accused and maybe convicted of sexual harassment or worse. However flawed the legal systems in USA and Australia, at least they share the basis of 'innocent until proven guilty'. Listing the accused does not make them guilty, and that is a good thing. ( )
  questbird | Dec 31, 2018 |
This book covers a very important issue in today's society with humour and brutal forthrightness. Clementine Ford doesn't pull any punches or sugar coat anything here - she tells it exactly how it is.

Don't think this is a man-hating 'feminazi' just beating up on men - this is about the culture of masculinity and misogyny, not about individuals. It tackles a serious issue with skill and humour, and I feel that everyone should read it - especially men. If you're a man who's part of a society that oppresses women, you'd like to know about it so you can change, right? ( )
  adam.currey | Oct 30, 2018 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Clementine Ford's book Boys Will Be Boys is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,539,139 books! | Top bar: Always visible