In the Year of Our Lord: Reflections on…

In the Year of Our Lord: Reflections on Twenty Centuries of Church History (edition 2018)

by Sinclair B Ferguson (Author)

The story of the church is important for Christians to know, for it contains rich and uplifting stories of God's dealings with His people. Dr. Sinclair B. Ferguson takes the reader on a tour of the Christian history, featuring stories and songs to give believers a sense of their place in God's kingdom and to encourage them in their walk.… (more)
Member:jcdale83
Title:In the Year of Our Lord: Reflections on Twenty Centuries of Church History
Authors:Sinclair B Ferguson (Author)
Info:Reformation Trust (2018), 229 pages

Work Information

In the Year of Our Lord: Reflections on Twenty Centuries of Church History by Sinclair B. Ferguson

This is basically a set of long devotionals with each century in church history as the theme of each devotional. It briefly introduces some key events and key Christian figures in that century and encourages the reader to be inspired by how those figures lived their lives or how God's providence was observed in that century. I think the devotional is encouraging and inspiring. It doesn't give a whole lot of background on the political and cultural environment of that century, so I don't feel I got a clear understanding of church history through this book.

Each chapter contained verses of a hymn with lyrics written by a Christian who lived in the respective century. I skipped most of them, though :P I suspect this portion would work a lot better if the hymns were actually sung and I get to hear the music :P ( )
  CathyChou | Mar 11, 2022 |
(1) "Witness" in the New Testament (64)
(2) The five pillars of Islam (76)
(3) The beginning of the controversy over the presence of Christ in the Lord's Supper (99-100) ( )
  jamesrrouse | Mar 26, 2021 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 179,850,417 books! | Top bar: Always visible