A Nordic King by Karina Halle

by Karina Halle

412,332,491 (4.25)None
Recently added byaddictofromance, Jiujiu

No tags.

A Nordic King is a stand alone romance that features a widow father of two children and a nanny that come together. I haven’t read Karina Halle in years, but this title really worked for me and after reading some raving reviews I just knew that I needed this book in my life for sure. I have such a weakness for royal characters in my romances and A Nordic King had everything that I really look for in a set up of a story.

Aksel, is the King of Denmark, he has two little girls, and at the beginning, we see his wife, the woman he does love, having an affair…a woman who really only wanted the crown and never him. And through a set of unfortuante circumstances, she was killed in an accident and now its just up to Akel to raise his daughters on his own and run a country. But he also bears a huge weight on his shoulders of the guilt he feels. Our delightful heroine, Aurora, moved from Australia to Europe and became a nanny. When she is called in for a new job, she has no idea that it will be for a royal family. She shapes a strong bond with the two little girls that she will be taking care of…Clara and Freja. But upon the first meeting of their father Aksel….he wants her gone because he finds her too beautiful and too much of a temptation for him. But his daughters have him wrapped around their little fingers and yields in allowing Aurora to stay. There are sparks and flames that fly between Aksel and Aurora, a sizzling chemistry but when their pasts collide with their present…will the love they have be forsaken …..

“I’ve found love, love that I’ll wear better than any crown.”

What an incredible romance and honestly I didn’t want to put this one down. I love books that I can’t put down and you never want this book to end. I will admit that I have read Karina Halle and it was years ago and it was more dark than I was ready for. But after reading a fantastic review from one of my closest blogging friend Michele @ Harlequin Junkie….I knew I had to pick it up. Plus I am a sucker for royals and most especially single dads…and what a father Aksel is. Aksel is one of those fathers that will do anything for his children. I love how they really can get him to agree to just about anything…show some tears and he caves hehe Its pretty amusing in many ways seeing how much he loves his little girls and will do anything to make them happy. They are spoiled but I love Clara and Freja…they are so darling. They have gone through a lot though losing their mother and never finding a good nanny that they like…at least until they meet Aurora who has a Aussie accent….teaches them about gods and goddesses and accepts them for who they are.

Aurora has been burned in the past from being a nanny, and Aksel knows about her history as a nanny. Even though he feels a strong attraction to Aurora and wants to act on it he also doesn’t want to scare her or make her think that he is anything like her previous boss who pretty much was sexually harassing her. What I found most interesting was that these two both have painful pasts….taking actions that they both regret. Neither of them are perfect and have made some mistakes, but they have learned and grown from their history and become better for it.

“Is that the only thing that’s important to you?” he asks, his voice low and rough. “The job?”
“No. The girls are everything to me,” I take in a deep breath. “As are you.”

Now I did want to focus on the relationship that Aurora has with the little girls and how crucial these girls are to the story…but that they don’t distract from the romance. Clara and Freja are definitely in need of some maternal guidance….they have never really had a strong influence of a loving mother. They were both young went their mother was killed. They are a bit spoiled at times, but they aren’t brats. They are willful and independent at times but adore their father. They form a strong bond with Aurora…who is kind and gracious towards them and doesn’t look down at them…treats them as her equal and they respond in kind. And lets be honest…they become a bit of matchmakers, its very obvious that they want their father to be with Aurora.

The romance that develops between Aksel and Aurora is so sexy yet sweet. They definitely have their “Hot” moments, but there is so much endearing qualities to their story it really balances out.

I surrender completely.
I want to give him everything.
I want him to take me, take me over, devour me.
Rule me.
I want every single part of him, deep inside. I want to see how much of him I can take, how he feels from the inside, what it’s like to be thoroughly fucked by the King of Denmark

There is some fun bantering especially in the beginning of the story. Aurora is no door mat and she gives back as good as she receives and doesn’t let “his highness” go all over her despite the fact that he is her boss. She doesn’t want to give into what she is feeling for him though, because of the fact that he is her boss and a king and he is out of her league. She knows her past and fears what would happen if the truth would ever come out. But I love how she acts on what she feels eventually and what a slow burn romance this one turned out to be and I wasn’t expecting that from this author. But I was more than happy for it to happen. We see them slowly fall in love before any sexy times happen and once they do start having sex…it only becomes a more emotional experience for the reader.

She’s not just a nanny.
She’s Aurora.
She’s my reckoning and saviour all at once.
She’s her namesake, those northern lights that brighten the darkest winter skies.
She’s my homecoming.
And I’m in love with her.

I fell in love with both of these characters and their endearing love journey and they both surprised me in the end here….I liked that once the truth comes out and its not all super angsty like you would expect. They talk and communicate with each other and become more open with each other and boy I LOVED that. That they are both mature adults and understand the importance of forgiveness and acceptance.

I am a king. And I belong to you in ways I never thought possible. More than I belong to my people, more than I belong to the people, I belong to you.

Overall A Nordic King is a sensationial romance that brings together a family of loss and hurt and betrayal….there is a fresh and renewed feeling to this story that gives off a feeling of passion, laughter and true partnership and a love worth fighting for! BRILLIANTLY WRITTEN.

“You love me. I am home.”
Tears spring to my eyes. “Home?”
He nods, just an inch, brow forever furrowed. “I’ve waited forty years for my heart to have a home… I’ve waited for you.” ( )
  addictofromance | Sep 26, 2018 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,521,253 books! | Top bar: Always visible