The Things We Cannot Say: A WWII Historical…

The Things We Cannot Say: A WWII Historical Fiction Novel (edition 2019)

by Kelly Rimmer (Author)

Fiction. Literature. Historical Fiction. HTML:Now a New York Times bestseller!
From the author of
Truths I Never Told You, Before I Let You Go, and the upcoming The Warsaw Orphan, Kelly Rimmer's powerful WWII novel follows a woman's urgent search for answers to a family mystery that uncovers truths about herself that she never expected.
"Kelly Rimmer has outdone herself. I thought that
Before I Let You Go was one of the best novels I had ever read...If you only have time to read one book this year The Things We Cannot Say should be that book. Keep tissues handy."—Fresh Fiction
"Fans of The Nightingale and Lilac Girls will adore The Things We Cannot Say." —Pam Jenoff, New York Times bestselling author
In 1942, Europe remains in the relentless grip of war. Just beyond the tents of the Russian refugee camp she calls home, a young woman speaks her wedding vows. It's a decision that will alter her destiny...and it's a lie that will remain buried until the next century.
Since she was nine years old, Alina Dziak knew she would marry her best friend, Tomasz. Now fifteen and engaged, Alina is unconcerned by reports of Nazi soldiers at the Polish border, believing her neighbors that they pose no real threat, and dreams instead of the day Tomasz returns from college in Warsaw so they can be married. But little by little, injustice by brutal injustice, the Nazi occupation takes hold, and Alina's tiny rural village, its families, are divided by fear and hate.
Then, as the fabric of their lives is slowly picked apart, Tomasz disappears. Where Alina used to measure time between visits from her beloved, now she measures the spaces between hope and despair, waiting for word from Tomasz and avoiding the attentions of the soldiers who patrol her parents' farm. But for now, even deafening silence is preferable to grief.
Slipping between Nazi-occupied Poland and the frenetic pace of modern life, Kelly Rimmer creates an emotional and finely wrought narrative. The Things We Cannot Say is an unshakable reminder of the devastation when truth is silenced...and how it can take a lifetime to find our voice before we learn to trust it.
Don't miss Kelly Rimmer's new and unforgettable novel, The Warsaw Orphan.
… (more)
Member:jennks
Title:The Things We Cannot Say: A WWII Historical Fiction Novel
Authors:Kelly Rimmer (Author)
Info:Graydon House (2019), Edition: Original, 442 pages

Work Information

The Things We Cannot Say by Kelly Rimmer

This last month has been a long one…a lot of changes and a lot of stress…which all led to a lack of energy and brain space to read. I know, unlike me, huh?!?

But for the time it took me, I am so glad I read it! I had tears in my eyes several times; for the love this family had for one another, amidst the backdrop and secrets they carried.

This author represents “easy read” historical fiction in the two books I’ve read of hers, but her ability to create characters to love is wonderful. I will continue to seek out her books! ( )
  snewell2 | Jun 24, 2024 |
A granddaughter discovers her beloved grandmother's past. The grandmother escaped Poland, leaving her resistor finance behind and marrying his friend with her boyfriend's stolen papers. ( )
  mojomomma | Apr 23, 2024 |
Really enjoyed this granddaughter / grandmother alternating story. Modern day always helps balance a heavy sad WWII drama ( )
  hellokirsti | Jan 3, 2024 |
It took me awhile to get through this but I was compelled to finish it as a colleague was keen I read it. My colleague said she had cried reading this and there was a very poignant twist in the story. It reminds us that we should never forget the hardships and sacrifices people went through in the Second World War particularly those associated with the Holocaust. ( )
  secondhandrose | Oct 31, 2023 |
Get the tissues ready for the ending!
I guessed how this family saga of a Polish-American family grappling with the illness of its matriarch would play out, and I was correct.
The story is told in two alternating voices: Alina from the early 1940s and Alice, about 76 years later. ( )
  deslivres5 | Oct 6, 2023 |
For Daniel, who always has the best ideas.
The priest presiding over my wedding was half-starved, half-frozen and wearing rags, but he was resourceful; he'd blessed a chunk of moldy bread from breakfast to serve as a communion wafer.

Fiction. Literature. Historical Fiction. HTML:Now a New York Times bestseller!
From the author of
"Kelly Rimmer has outdone herself. I thought that
Don't miss Kelly Rimmer's new and unforgettable novel, The Warsaw Orphan.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 208,314,959 books! | Top bar: Always visible