The Haunted

by Danielle Vega

Hendricks Becker-O'Malley is new in town, and she's bringing baggage with her. With a dark and wild past, Hendricks doesn't think the small town her parents moved her to has much to offer her in terms of excitement. She plans on laying low, but when she's suddenly welcomed into the popular crowd at school, things don't go as expected. Hendricks learns from her new friends that the fixer-upper her parents are so excited about is notorious in town. Local legend says it's haunted. Hendricks doesn't believe it . . . until she starts hearing voices late at night. Until doors start locking on their own. Until her baby brother is rushed to the hospital-hurt by someone or something inside the house. With help from the mysterious boy next door, Hendricks makes it her mission to take down the ghosts . . . if they don't take her first.… (more)

This book started off decently and sounded like it was going to be a decent read. Hendricks is new in town and the new girl in a small high school, but she quickly learns that worrying about going from the popular kid in school to the new kid in school is least of her worries.
Her parents moved her family because of an issue Hendricks had with an ex-boyfriend. The house they buy has a creepy history that everyone knows about, except her family apparently. Suddenly the kids from school are showing up at her doorstep wanting to come into the creepy house. This is where it became a little bit too strange for me.
For parents who moved their whole family due to one event, they certainly leave Hendrix and her brother home alone a lot. And they certainly doubt anything Hendrix has to say way too much. I do not find them believable. When the story starts to become more paranormal, the less I became interested. The whole concept did not flow with me based on the small back story given. Overall not a bad book, but it just didn’t work for me. ( )
  purple_pisces22 | Mar 14, 2021 |
This had the type of horror I love. Supernatural, hauntings, and you never know how the story is going to go. Twists and turns at every corner. The ending was exciting and scary. Not to mention it was full of teen angst, peer pressure, lgtbq, and domestic violence. It was a great book. ( )
  tami317 | Oct 5, 2020 |
My review of this book can be found on my Youtube Vlog at:

Enjoy! ( )
  booklover3258 | Sep 28, 2020 |
I honestly really enjoyed this book a lot. I love stories about ghosts or haunted houses and this book had both. The end part with the skeletons was a tad bit ridiculous but I can look past that. Overall this was a good YA ghost story. I liked how it all came together in the end. I’m super sad about Eddie though. I was Team Eddie all the way. If you enjoy Teen/YA thrillers then you should definitely give this book a read. I’m looking forward to reading the second book and seeing how that plays out. ( )
  JessVillafane | Jul 13, 2020 |
Hendricks and her family move to a new town and new school to escape something terrible. Instead, they land in a haunted house with many more terrors. A suitably chilling read; Stephen King-lite. ( )
  mjspear | Apr 14, 2020 |
Steele house cast a dark shadow over the grass.

Clean slate. That what Hendricks Becker-O'Malley's parents said when they moved their family to the tiny town of Drearfield, New York. Hendricks wants to lie low and forget her dark, traumatic past. Forget him. But things don't go as planned.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,084,487 books! | Top bar: Always visible