The Guilty Party by Mel McGrath

The Guilty Party (original 2019; edition 2020)

by Mel McGrath (Author)

'MASTERFUL' Guardian 'IMPOSSIBLE TO PREDICT' Erin Kelly 'UTTERLY COMPELLING'Crime Monthly '5*'Heat 'WELL-CRAFTED AND CHILLING' Woman 'MCGRATH IS A DIAMOND-HARD TALENT'Financial Times On a night out, four friends witness a stranger in trouble. They decide to do nothing to help. Later, a body washes up on the banks of the Thames - and the group realises that ignoring the woman has left blood on their hands. But why did each of them refuse to step in? Why did none of them want to be noticed that night? Who is really responsible? And is it possible that the victim was not really a stranger at all? Praise for Mel McGrath: 'This roller-coaster read will have you hooked' Closer 'This well-crafted, chilling tale of guilt and innocence has a compelling moral anchor' Woman 'Lots of twists and turns in this toxic thriller.' Hello! 'A dextrously written thriller and examination of guilt and innocence...[McGrath isng>' Closer 'This well-crafted, chilling tale of guilt and innocence has a compelling moral anchor' Woman 'Lots of twists and turns in this toxic thriller.' Hello! 'A dextrously written thriller and examination of guilt and innocence...[McGrath is] a diamond-hard talent' Financial Times 'McGrath excels in creating believably flawed characters, and her masterful control of suspense and pacing make for a psychological thriller that is both perceptive and disturbing' Guardian 'Unsettling, disturbing and vital. 5*' Heat 'Exploring guilt and innocence through several dark distinct perspectives, Cassie becomes a compelling moral anchor in this well-crafted and chilling tale' Woman's Own 'Easily the best [of the subgenre]...psychologically acute and deeply satisfying' Telegraph 'Perceptive...McGrath is a thoughtful writer' Daily Mail 'Utterly compelling right from the start...a deeply unsettling look at modern sexual behaviour and bystander culture' Crime Monthly 'Chilling, fiendishly plotted and surprising, this stayed with me long after reading' Woman & Home 'Absorbing ... McGrath asks: should it be a crime to witness a violent event, and say nothing?' The Times 'Brimming with trust issues and deceit, this will make you question whether we ever know who our friends really are' Prima 'A clever, nuanced exploration of toxic friendship and the ties that bind people together' Red 'Dark, thrilling, impossible to predict' Erin Kelly, author of He Said She Said 'A scorching, clever thriller' Tammy Cohen, author of They All Fall Down 'A dark and immersive journey into the heart of a toxic friendship group. I loved it.' Harriet Tyce, author of Blood Orange >' Erin Kelly, author of He Said She Said 'A scorching, clever thriller' Tammy Cohen, author of They All Fall Down 'A dark and immersive journey into the heart of a toxic friendship group. I loved it.' Harriet Tyce, author of Blood Orange… (more)
Member:oconnorsnider
Title:The Guilty Party
Authors:Mel McGrath (Author)
Info:HQ (2020), 384 pages
Collections:Your library, To read

Work Information

The Guilty Party by Mel McGrath (2019)

Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Pinterest

A mystery that left me curious until the very end. A psychological paradise of a thriller that captures people at their very worst, right when they realise their lives are at stake. These people did nothing. But that doesn’t mean they’re innocent…

Four friends are returning from a festival, and they see a woman being raped in the forest. They all decide to do nothing about it. A few days later, her body is found in the river. Are they guilty for not doing anything? If it was you, what would you have done?

The story begins with the event mentioned above. The plot opens straight ahead, and I loved that fact. We witness the story through the eyes of all these four friends. They have always been together and stood for one another, but after so many years, their friendship has turned into a group of frenemies, a group of proving to each other, lying all the time and negative emotions.
Because nothing is straightforward, least of all the human heart. At some point or other, we all become mysteries to ourselves.

Even though we get to see through the lives of Anna, Bo and Dex, Cassie is the one member of this group that gets the most exposure in this book. She is the one that seems to feel the most guilty about not doing anything to intervene that night, and she is the one that keeps bringing this subject to her friends, even though they refuse to listen. Cassie is the most reasonable one, but this seems to bring her into more trouble. The more she pushes the group, the more she realises how capable they are of stopping her from sharing their secret

Anna is the person that leads the group. She seems to control everyone and everything, and they all seem to obey her and be fine with this. She comes out as this controlling and annoying person, the one hard to ignore or say no to. But when she feels threatened and scared, she is prepared to do anything.

Bo and Dex, for me, didn’t have much direct impact to the story, except one of them right at the very end. They seem to have snuck out throughout the book quietly, without any direct noice, but leaving a mess behind them.

We have four characters, all different and unique, all really complicated, with their own thoughts and lives. And we have one evening, and all their actions indirectly result in this girl’s death. None of them killed her, but all of them are guilty. They all have their own secrets, that they don’t tell to anyone, and they all are ready to go until the very end, keeping their secrets safe.

I loved how the plot and what actually happened on the nights slowly reveals itself, where we have two parallels happening – one from the night of the incident, and from everyone’s perspective, and one from around a month later, when they gather around together for a weekend. The chapters were so well made that made you keep going, and right when you think you know something, you get another point of view with a bit more information and another plot twist. Very smart and enjoyable to read.

And even though a mystery, and a thriller, this book was also hilarious and made me laugh out loud at times. Needless to say anything, I will let you read the quote below and judge for yourselves. This quote was so unexpected and I think it highlighted my year so far… Amazing!
Ink Man’s real name is Jake but for the purposes of sex he likes to be called Gandalf. Really. Being Gandalf is what turns him on. That and the ink of Middle Earth on his back.

I really enjoyed this book, and I am looking forward to reading more books from Mel McGrath. A huge thank you to HQ Publishers, and Joe Thomas for sending me a hardback copy of this book in exchange for an honest review

Follew the #AreYouGuilty Blog Tour

Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Pinterest ( )
1 vote InnahLovesYou | Apr 18, 2019 |
A story about four friends who, on their way home from a music festival, witness a rape but neither intervene nor call the police. A few weeks later, on a group weekend away, Cassie (one of the four) reads that the woman's body has been found in the Thames. The narrative switches between Cassie in the present day and all four friends in the run up to the night of the festival. Gradually it becomes clear why each of them was reluctant to help the victim.

I liked the way the group's secrets were revealed, but on the other hand they were four of the most appalling human beings ever to appear in fiction. They also managed to drink unimaginable amounts of alcohol, without getting started on the drugs. An entertaining read with a satisfactory ending, but one which leaves you feeling bit depressed and grubby. ( )
1 vote pgchuis | Apr 17, 2019 |

Mel McGrathprimary authorall editionscalculated
Noakes, EmmaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
There is no greater sorrow than to know another's secret when you cannot help them. Anton Chekhov, Uncle Vanya
For my friends - I promise that none of these characters are based on you.
I'm going to take you back to the summer's evening near the end of my friendship with Anna, Bo and Dex.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 176,546,204 books! | Top bar: Always visible