The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (1876)

by Mark Twain

Series: Tom Sawyer (1)

The adventures of a boy growing up in a nineteenth-century Mississippi River town as he plays hookey on an island, witnesses a crime, hunts for pirates' treasure, and becomes lost in a cave.
1870s (8)

English (261)  Spanish (11)  German (2)  French (2)  Dutch (2)  Swedish (1)  Hebrew (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Greek (1)  Italian (1)  Catalan (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (285)
Tom Sawyer has a good heart, but trouble just seems to find him. Somehow. Repeatedly. Chock full of rousing adventure, peril (both real and imagined), philosophical musings and clever, wry humor, this Twain classic remains an enjoyable read. Some of the 1870s language can be challenging to parse, though it's worth rereading passages several times if needed, and some is definitely uncomfortable through our 21st-century lens, but overall Twain's ingenious and winking-to-the-reader writing style make this an amusing and entertaining read. ( )
  ryner | Oct 4, 2020 |
I find this book as boring the second time as an adult as I did the first time as a child. I suspect the reason for my dislike can be summed up in two words: gender stereotypes. This is a coming of age story for a boy, and I'm not a boy. I'm also not like the girls and women depicted, nor is any girl or woman. The gender stereotypes in this book are not only boring, but insulting. I also didn't like the way the author mentioned how great of a writer he is. Saying so, doesn't make it true, but that is my best guess as to why this author is so popular. What a boring book! And what a big jerk this kid is! The one thing I did like about the book is the historical dialogue, which reminds me of the speech of my grandparent's generation. This book is not a children's book nor one for fun reading, but it could be a good book to include in the study of history, including the history of gender stereotypes. ( )
  SonoranDreamer | Oct 3, 2020 |
Huckleberry Finn was a better book ( )
  Happenence | Oct 2, 2020 |
An idyllic tall tale of two kids getting into trouble in their Midwestern hometown in the mid-19th century. Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn are very endearing characters: rough-and-tumble boys with hearts of gold and a knack for getting out of whatever trouble they have gotten themselves into; the sort who could "be President yet, if he escaped hanging" (pg. 164).

Though less influential, astute and technically groundbreaking than its sequel, Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, The Adventures of Tom Sawyer contains the better story beats, including the famous whitewashing gambit. Whereas Huck Finn tells its own story from Huck's first-person point-of-view, Tom Sawyer offers a warm, third-person overview that emphasises the nostalgia, as though the narrator cannot help but look back wistfully on those summer days that last forever, and marvel at the innocence of youth.

Huck Finn's plot could sometimes be lost in its protagonist's exculpatory storytelling; in Tom Sawyer, the reader doesn't miss anything. The author and the reader both are shaking their heads (but with a smile on their faces) at these kids that say the darnedest things, the bits of string and marbles that serve as "schoolboy treasures of almost inestimable value" (pg. 106), and the moments when the boys' goodness reluctantly shines through. These are boys who would "rather be outlaws a year in Sherwood Forest than President of the United States for ever" (pg. 66), and I think any adult looking back on their own lost youth will admit that's the right choice. ( )
1 vote MikeFutcher | Sep 5, 2020 |

Is retold in

Has the (non-series) sequel

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Has as a student's study guide

Has as a teacher's guide

To MY WIFE, this book is affectionately dedicated
Preface
Although my book is intended mainly for the entertainment of boys and girls, I hope it will not be shunned by men and women on that account, for part of my plan has been to try pleasantly to remind adults of what they once were themselves, and of how they felt and thought and talked, and what queer enterprises they sometimes engaged in.
"TOM!" No answer. "TOM!" No answer. "What's gone with that boy, I wonder? You TOM!" No answer.
He had discovered a great law of human action, without knowing it—namely, that in order to make a man or a boy covet a thing, it is only necessary to make the thing difficult to attain.
This is the main work for The Adventures of Tom Sawyer. Please do not combine it with any adaptation, abridgement, etc.

Tom Sawyer is about a young mischievous boy who has many adventures. This story is about boyhood and growing up. Although some of the adventures can become very serious, this story is filled with humorous situations.

Legacy Library: Mark Twain

Mark Twain has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Mark Twain's legacy profile.

See Mark Twain's author page.

4 1922

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,819,361 books! | Top bar: Always visible