The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain

The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (1876)

by Mark Twain

Series: Tom Sawyer (1)

English (241)  Spanish (8)  Dutch (2)  German (2)  French (2)  Swedish (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Danish (1)  Italian (1)  Greek (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (261)
1 ( )
  QuietWinters | Jul 22, 2019 |
Not too long ago, it popped into my mind that I should reread The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, which I vaguely remember from college English class was considered to be a masterpiece of American literature. But first, I figured I should read the "prequel", i.e. The Adventures of Tom Sawyer. Of course, I've read both books before, but not recently. Probably sometime during the Eisenhower administration.

I found it a bit difficult getting into Tom Sawyer. I'm not completely sure what the problem was, but I think Twain's attempt at humor seemed a bit overly expansive and labored. Or perhaps, like several other books I've read recently, it was just difficult getting used to a different writing style. Training one's self to put up with a different style shouldn't be an issue in a well written book, but apparently, for less able readers such as myself (I read at only half the speed required to be successful in college, or so I've often been told), such is the case. I'm not sure about this, however, given that I was able to jump into Sense and Sensibility with immediate enjoyment, and had no trouble with the Raymond Chandler or Willa Cather books that preceded Tom by a few weeks. Whatever, eventually, I did begin to enjoy the book rather much and ended up giving it 4*s. Were I able to give s and -s, I'd likely downgrade it to 4*- or 3* .

Anyway, this book is essentially a series of tales about the lives of young boys (primarily Tom, of course), perhaps 11 or so, about a century and a half ago, i.e. around 1850. I'm having a bit of a problem gaging their ages because Tom becomes enraptured by a young girl, Becky Thatcher. In my experience, boys don't get girl crazy until about 13, at the earliest. On the other hand, in one episode, Tom gets a loose tooth, which, once pulled out, affords him unique ways to spit and thereby entrance his pals. Well, I guess the last of the molars come out around 12, but how does one spit through a gap at the back of one's jaw? So one might think the tooth was nearer the front of the mouth, in which case Tom would be no more than 10.

Whatever, as I said, the book grew on me as it went along, and I now have adequate background to move on to Huck. As for books about 11-year old boys, I think I rather prefer Penrod. Penrod isn't quite so labored in its humor and didn't have the additional deficiencies of being quite so racist nor of having some rather out-of-context diatribes interfere with the action, such as the one against people who were not ardent supporters of capital punishment. ( )
  lgpiper | Jun 21, 2019 |
Elementary
  SteppLibrary | May 21, 2019 |
This tells the story of a boy, Tom Sawyer, and his best friend, Huck Finn, and some of the adventures they get into. Some of those adventures include ghosts, haunted houses and treasure.

I listened to an audio version of this one, narrated by William Dufris. The narrator was very good with amazing expressions, but my mind wandered, anyway. The one mostly couldn't hold my interest. Because of that, I missed a lot, so initially, it almost felt like these were short stories, rather than a novel. A lot of the same characters did return later, and I think storylines were picked up again later, but it was hard to connect everything because I just hadn't focused enough. However, the parts of the book that I did catch, I thought were cute. And, I have to give bonus points for the narrator, so an “o.k.” 3 stars it is. ( )
  LibraryCin | Apr 1, 2019 |
It took me long enough to read this, but very little surprised me. So much gets lost in the short-shelf-life of children's pop culture, but somehow Tom Sawyer remains a constant. Twain writes with thick nostalgia of a simpler time and of childhood. Of course,'Tom Sawyer' is a pale candle compared to 'Huckleberry Finn', but as a book for children it almost stands a fighting chance against the newcomers of the genre. Unlike many other books written over a hundred years destined for kid's hands it is never insipid and a reader unfamiliar with its imitators will enjoy the adventures and the child-logic of Tom and Huck.

I did say almost. I don't like the idea of limiting access to any books based on perceived appropriateness, but the chance of harm is real in this one. There are some deep-rooted racial pitfalls in this book, for instance, Huck's declaring he's never known a black person who wouldn't lie and, uh, the whole aura surrounding Injun Joe completely apart from the murdering. There's also the romancing of Becky Thatcher. Even if you change some of the wording there are problems with the text that will be a challenge to put in the right context for a younger reader. If a teacher or parent is up to that challenge, they can go right ahead, but the whitewash ain't gonna cover this fence. ( )
  ManWithAnAgenda | Feb 18, 2019 |

Is retold in

Has the (non-series) sequel

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Has as a student's study guide

Has as a teacher's guide

To MY WIFE, this book is affectionately dedicated
Preface
Although my book is intended mainly for the entertainment of boys and girls, I hope it will not be shunned by men and women on that account, for part of my plan has been to try pleasantly to remind adults of what they once were themselves, and of how they felt and thought and talked, and what queer enterprises they sometimes engaged in.
"TOM!" No answer. "TOM!" No answer. "What's gone with that boy, I wonder? You TOM!" No answer.
He had discovered a great law of human action, without knowing it—namely, that in order to make a man or a boy covet a thing, it is only necessary to make the thing difficult to attain.
This is the main work for The Adventures of Tom Sawyer. Please do not combine it with any adaptation, abridgement, etc.

Tom Sawyer is about a young mischievous boy who has many adventures. This story is about boyhood and growing up. Although some of the adventures can become very serious, this story is filled with humorous situations.

From the famous episodes of the whitewashed fence and the ordeal in the cave to the trial of Injun Joe, The Adventures of Tom Sawyer is redolent of life in the Mississippi River towns in which Twain spent his own youth. A somber undercurrent flows through the high humor and unabashed nostalgia of the novel, however, for beneath the innocence of childhood lie the inequities of adult reality—base emotions and superstitions, murder and revenge, starvation and slavery. In his introduction, noted Twain scholar John Seelye considers Twain’s impact on American letters and discusses the balance between humorous escapades and serious concern that is found in much of Twain’s writing.

This new edition includes a new text and, for the first time, explanatory notes

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:50 -0400)

A boy in the river town of Hannibal, Missouri runs off and has a lot of adventures.

Legacy Library: Mark Twain

Mark Twain has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Mark Twain's legacy profile.

See Mark Twain's author page.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,482,663 books! | Top bar: Always visible