dismiss

The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (1876)

by Mark Twain

Series: Tom Sawyer (1), Tom Sawyer (2) (1), Tom Sawyer (1) (1)

The adventures of a boy growing up in the nineteenth century in a Mississippi River town, as he plays hookey on an island, witnesses a crime, hunts for pirates' treasure, and becomes lost in a cave.

English (250)  Spanish (10)  Dutch (2)  German (2)  French (2)  Swedish (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Danish (1)  Italian (1)  Greek (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (272)
The voice of Mark Twain is still fresh today, despite language and descriptions that startle the 21st Century reader. The characters remain genuine, the insights into human nature still ring true. I love this book and, 40 years after last reading it in childhood, I still found myself laughing out loud in places and gasping at the appearance of Injun Joe. The only thing that has changed is that I now understand Aunt Polly! ( )
  MMKY | Jul 3, 2020 |
I only gave this book 3.5 stars, but rounded it up to 4 stars on Goodreads.

Well I definitely liked this one better than I did The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn.

This first book showcases Tom Sawyer. We find Tom living with his Aunt Polly and his brother Sid and cousin Mary. Twain throughout the book shows us how clever Tom is and also how quick he is to anger and also to make up with those around him when he ends up feeling guilty for things.

The entire arc of Tom Sawyer is showing him growing up from being a little jerk to a stand up young man who even though he is scared does what is necessary to make sure that a guilty party is caught.

The book moved at a very steady pace and I actually enjoyed the dialogue a lot better in this book as well. Reading in the vernacular is tough, and I hate that it takes my brain a while to catch up with what the author is writing and trying to get its characters to say.

The ending was really good and I liked how Twain ended it by stating that this book was a history of a boy and he could not go further talking about Tom since then he would be providing details about what kind of man he would become.

Though I did like the book, it didn't blow me away or anything. Just a perfectly serviceable adventure book. ( )
  ObsidianBlue | Jul 1, 2020 |
Mark Twain, or rather, Samuel Clemens, was a special man. When he wasn't hating everyone generally but loving them individually, he was writing very observant tales that did much more than scratch the surface of hypocrisy, racism, and the gullibility that resides in us all.

I'm a fan. A big fan. And the man was very witty. "There is no weather in this book." God. I love this shit.

So when I finally get around to re-reading his old stuff like Tom Sawyer, a YA book if I've ever read one, I was certain that I'd be getting a real treat. White-washing was never so fun. Neither was swinging a dead cat over one's head. Or getting involved with MURDER.

Jeeze, I read this and I was thinking of Stephen King's [b:The Body|11574|The Body|Stephen King|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1328182521s/11574.jpg|2334601] and thinking about The Goonies and thinking about Treasure Island. What do all of these stories have in common with Tom Sawyer?

Everything.

And I guess I think I like bad-boy Tom better now than when I was younger. Sure, all of these kids are pretty stupid pretty much all the time, but then, weren't we all? :) ( )
  bradleyhorner | Jun 1, 2020 |
I read this in school, and mostly enjoyed finding the references to Tom Sawyer Island at Disneyland. ( )
  ca.bookwyrm | May 18, 2020 |
Granny in Tulsa, OK gave this to me. I was eight or nine. This book meant a lot to me, and it gave me a love of reading. I would spend the hot summertime weekends in Norman, OK, going to the library--reading anything, and everything I could. I'm sure that everyone has that special book from their childhood... ( )
  benbrainard8 | Apr 18, 2020 |

Is retold in

Has the (non-series) sequel

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Has as a student's study guide

Has as a teacher's guide

To MY WIFE, this book is affectionately dedicated
Preface
Although my book is intended mainly for the entertainment of boys and girls, I hope it will not be shunned by men and women on that account, for part of my plan has been to try pleasantly to remind adults of what they once were themselves, and of how they felt and thought and talked, and what queer enterprises they sometimes engaged in.
"TOM!" No answer. "TOM!" No answer. "What's gone with that boy, I wonder? You TOM!" No answer.
He had discovered a great law of human action, without knowing it—namely, that in order to make a man or a boy covet a thing, it is only necessary to make the thing difficult to attain.
This is the main work for The Adventures of Tom Sawyer. Please do not combine it with any adaptation, abridgement, etc.

Tom Sawyer is about a young mischievous boy who has many adventures. This story is about boyhood and growing up. Although some of the adventures can become very serious, this story is filled with humorous situations.

Legacy Library: Mark Twain

Mark Twain has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Mark Twain's legacy profile.

See Mark Twain's author page.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 148,008,942 books! | Top bar: Always visible