The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (Puffin…

The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (Puffin Classics) (original 1876; edition 2008)

by Mark Twain (Author)

Series: Tom Sawyer (1)

The adventures of a boy growing up in a nineteenth-century Mississippi River town as he plays hookey on an island, witnesses a crime, hunts for pirates' treasure, and becomes lost in a cave.
Member:RKaiju
Title:The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (Puffin Classics)
Authors:Mark Twain (Author)
Info:Puffin Books (2008), Edition: Unabridged, 320 pages

The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain (1876)

1870s (8)

English (269)  Spanish (13)  German (2)  Dutch (2)  French (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Swedish (1)  Hebrew (1)  Greek (1)  Catalan (1)  Italian (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (295)
Having read Huckleberry Finn as a child I did not comprehend Mark Twain's genius. Reading Tom Sawyer as an adult really demonstrated why he deserves his places as one of America's greatest authors. A delight to read and a book I would recommend to nearly anyone. Normally I dislike reading books to which I know the ending but even with all the information I gleaned about Tom Sawyer from popular culture this book was a surprise and treat. ( )
  nosborm | Oct 10, 2021 |
illustrated and signed by thomas benton
395/1500
cambridge press ( )
  Drfreddy94 | Oct 10, 2021 |
The Adventures of Tom Sawyer is a novel about a young boy growing up in the 1840s in the Mississippi River-side town of St. Petersburg, Missouri (inspired by Hannibal, Missouri where Mark Twain, the author, grew up). Tom is a smart and mischievous boy who knows how to get what he wants and gets out of trouble in very unique ways.

I will admit, it took me 27 years to read this book. In some ways I'm glad I waited, if only because of the forward Twain put in the front of the book:

"Although my book is intended mainly for the entertainment of boys and girls, I hope it will not be shunned by men and women on that account, for part of my plan has been to try to pleasantly remind adults of what they once were themselves, and of how they felt and thought and talked, and what queer enterprises they sometimes engaged in."

I did love the energy that only a child can have that was written in this. The way that Tom and Huck would argue about varies superstitions and reason to run away (to be pirates or like Robin Hood). Twain does a tremendous job at reminding me what it's like to be a kid again. The novel also gives a view of what it was like growing up in America at that time.

It was a bit hard for me with the dialect and accents the way they were written, but it wasn't anything that softly reading aloud didn't help. That's just me being a weird silent reader. ( )
  oldandnewbooksmell | Sep 24, 2021 |
Finished reading this again while the power was out on the island and I couldn't work.

I think I've read this at least five times. There are some books that are simply woven so tightly into the warp and woof of the American experience that they will always rate five stars, and this is one of them.

wyclif | Sep 22, 2021 |
American classic, even despite some elements of what we now know to be racism. Here's what I wrote when I read in 1983: "A "classic" for good reason. Just wish I had read it as a child; Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn would have seemed magical then!" ( )
  MGADMJK | Sep 3, 2021 |

Is retold in

Has the (non-series) sequel

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Has as a student's study guide

Has as a teacher's guide

To MY WIFE, this book is affectionately dedicated
Preface
Although my book is intended mainly for the entertainment of boys and girls, I hope it will not be shunned by men and women on that account, for part of my plan has been to try pleasantly to remind adults of what they once were themselves, and of how they felt and thought and talked, and what queer enterprises they sometimes engaged in.
"TOM!" No answer. "TOM!" No answer. "What's gone with that boy, I wonder? You TOM!" No answer.
He had discovered a great law of human action, without knowing it—namely, that in order to make a man or a boy covet a thing, it is only necessary to make the thing difficult to attain.
This is the main work for The Adventures of Tom Sawyer. Please do not combine it with any adaptation, abridgement, etc.

Tom Sawyer is about a young mischievous boy who has many adventures. This story is about boyhood and growing up. Although some of the adventures can become very serious, this story is filled with humorous situations.

Legacy Library: Mark Twain

Mark Twain has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Mark Twain's legacy profile.

See Mark Twain's author page.

4 1975

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,491,521 books! | Top bar: Always visible