The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (Penguin…

The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (Penguin Classics) (original 1876; edition 1986)

by Mark Twain, John Seelye (Introduction)

Member:JONNYBOY
Title:The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (Penguin Classics)
Authors:Mark Twain
Other authors:John Seelye (Introduction)
Info:Penguin Classics (1986), Edition: Reprint., Paperback, 256 pages

The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain (1876)

Unread books (1,067)

English (193)  Spanish (6)  French (2)  German (2)  Dutch (2)  Swedish (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Danish (1)  Greek (1)  All languages (209)
When I was around the age 9 or 10 my dad and sister suggested me to read this book couple of times. As I started reading, it did not appeal to me much and I put it down after the first chapter. I could not see anything interesting in it! How could I? As a little tomboy hated and ignored by girls communities I was a Tom Sawyer myself and was so busy being a rascal that I failed to see what is so amusing about the book!

I only got to appreciate it these last days, and while reading, it brought me so much joy that I could hardly stop smiling. It pulled me back to the days when I used to gather those colored ceramics and little pieces of random toys to show them off to my playmates. When I use to dig into my grandma's garden the whole summer to find a treasure I thought it could be buried there. As I age, I do feel that one gets to appreciate some things and stuff only when get to a certain point in life. Just like Twain mentioned in the preface besides entertaining children, he tries to "remind adults of what they once were themselves."

I also adore the pure, simple way of describing the nature and children's little fun and joys. I did not feel the pressure that is force to the readers in an effort of being extraordinary in today's young adult publications. Don't get me wrong now. I do like Harry Potters and some fantasy now and then, but after Potters checking out the best seller shelves make me feel like no stimulating theme remain on this planet to write about but Dragons, vampires and zombies. ( )
  GazelleS | May 11, 2016 |
Come on, who doesn't love old Tom Sawyer?! ( )
  Garrison0550 | May 10, 2016 |
Via audio. This book doesn't have the depth that Huckleberry Finn has, but it's a fun childhood's romp. It also interesting from a historical point of view. A worthy American Classic. The narrator was great. ( )
  sydsavvy | Apr 8, 2016 |
read too many times to count - films watched at every opportunity
  frahealee | Apr 3, 2016 |
Always preferred this to Huckleberry Finn--which puts me on the wrong side of just about everybody else's opinion. If the ending in the caves doesn't get your pulse racing, you probably don't have one. Found a beautiful like-new copy of the Heritage Edition, with color plates and numerous illustrations by Norman Rockwell. ( )
  unclebob53703 | Mar 31, 2016 |

Is retold in

Has the (non-series) sequel

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Has as a student's study guide

To MY WIFE, this book is affectionately dedicated
"TOM!" No answer."TOM!" No answer. "What's gone with that boy, I wonder? You TOM!" No answer.
Although my book is intended mainly for the entertainment of boys and girls, I hope it will not be shunned by men and women on that account, for part of my plan has been to try pleasantly to remind adults of what they once were themselves, and of how they felt and thought and talked, and what queer enterprises they sometimes engaged in. (Preface)
He had discovered a great law of human action, without knowing it - namely, that in order to make a man or a boy covet a thing, it is only necessary to make the thing difficult to attain.
This is the main work for The Adventures of Tom Sawyer. Please do not combine it with any adaptation, abridgement, etc.

Tom Sawyer is about a young mischievous boy who has many adventures. This story is about boyhood and growing up. Although some of the adventures can become very serious, this story is filled with humorous situations.

This title is in public domain in the USA and the e-book is available free online.

GUTENBERG.org is the origin for most of the human and well-edited FREE kindle editions online in various languages. Scam sites will ask for money for the hard work and titles which Gutenberg volunteers provide free. ARCHIVE.org provides a huge selection of FREE e-pub & PDF public domain titles in various languages also. (easily readable with the Free CALIBRE-ebook.com app]. Project Gutenberg is a great organization. They will never ask you for money before allowing you to download their books (though voluntary donations are welcome).

Only SCAM SITES & CON ARTISTS will ask for money for the hard work and e-book titles which the Gutenberg volunteers provide free. Their latest bs? "You're paying for the ability to wi-fi your download." Really? So these con artists who steal Gutenberg's hard work then re-post what should be FREE e-books for sale .... rationalize it because they provide wi-fi downloads? Now that is a load of nonsense. Do you think these scammers are donating all the money back to the non-profit Gutenberg? I don't think so. Please don't patronize e-thieves or con artists. And don't let them gull you. How hard is it to plug your e-reader into your computer and do a manual download? Pretty damn easy. If you don't know how to do this, ask one of your grandkids to show you how.

There are lots of free pre-1923 public domain kindle books on Amazon.com. [Type in 'free' and 'public domain' in the search bar.] Some current authors make their copyrighted e-books available free on Amazon and other sites also. [I would assume as a form of advertising and/or as a loss leader for a book series. Make sure to review their books as a thank you.]

ManyBooks.net offers Gutenberg's books in a different formatting. If the book you downloaded from them doesn't work for you, maybe you can get a different copy of the same book there.

FeedBooks.com/publicdomain offers Gutenberg's books in a different formatting. It also offers ebooks for sale. If the book you downloaded from Gutenberg doesn't work for you, maybe you can get a different copy of the same book there.

From the famous episodes of the whitewashed fence and the ordeal in the cave to the trial of Injun Joe, The Adventures of Tom Sawyer is redolent of life in the Mississippi River towns in which Twain spent his own youth. A somber undercurrent flows through the high humor and unabashed nostalgia of the novel, however, for beneath the innocence of childhood lie the inequities of adult reality—base emotions and superstitions, murder and revenge, starvation and slavery. In his introduction, noted Twain scholar John Seelye considers Twain’s impact on American letters and discusses the balance between humorous escapades and serious concern that is found in much of Twain’s writing.

This new edition includes a new text and, for the first time, explanatory notes

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:50 -0400)

A boy in the river town of Hannibal, Missouri runs off and has a lot of adventures.

Legacy Library: Mark Twain

Mark Twain has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Mark Twain's legacy profile.

See Mark Twain's author page.

4 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0143039563, 0141321105, 0141808748, 0141194936

The Library of America

An edition of this book was published by The Library of America.

University of California Press

An edition of this book was published by University of California Press.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Library of America Paperback Classics

An edition of this book was published by Library of America Paperback Classics.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,912,856 books! | Top bar: Always visible