In The Court's Hands by Fiona Gartland

In The Court's Hands (edition 2018)

by Fiona Gartland (Author)

1171,242,199 (3.79)None
"If it had rained on the 25th of April at least one woman would not have died. Not that I bear any responsibility for that. Nothing I didn't intentionally caused anyone's death."Stenographer Beatrice Barrington witnesses a meeting between the defendant in the criminal case she's working on and a woman who later contacts a member of the jury. Before Beatrice can take any action, the juror is found dead. Still trying to deal with her difficult past, Beatrice is pulled into a world of deception, danger and blackmail. Helped by her friend, retired Detective Gabriel Ingram, she is in a race against time to find the truth behind the death of the jurywoman before the trial collapses and more people die. Then a stalker with a familiar face begins to watch her every move. Now, for her, it becomes a struggle to survive.Will Beatrice identify the killer in time? … (more)
Member:RebeccaLMello
Title:In The Court's Hands
Authors:Fiona Gartland (Author)
Info:Poolbeg Press (2018), Edition: 1, 352 pages
Collections:E-Books
Rating:***
Tags:courts, stenographer, Ireland, Dublin, murder, mystery, thriller, suspense, kidnapping, abuse, fraud, Beatrice Barrington, Gabriel Ingram, suicide

In The Court's Hands by Fiona Gartland

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Disclaimer: I received this book for free from LibraryThing in return for an honest review.

Beatrice Barrington is a stenographer working in the Irish criminal court system, trying to escape a tragic incident in her past. During a particularly newsworthy case, she is outside eating lunch when she sees the defendant in that case meeting with one of the jurors. Knowing how important this case is Beatrice contemplates if she should say something or not. Before she can make a final decision the juror turns up dead in what appears to be suicide. But Beatrice is so not so sure so she enlists the help of retired Detective Graham Ingram to help her find out the truth. Graham and Beatrice have a complex past together but he is the only person she can trust. The closer they get to the truth the more danger Beatrice is. Can they find out the truth before it is too late? And what does Beatrice's past have to do with this case?

Overall I really enjoyed this book. It is full of twists and turns that kept me invested in the story. The narrative alternates between modern events and events of Beatrice's past. I did find the character of Beatrice to be slightly dislikeable. She could be both the smartest person in the room and the most oblivious person. That being said, I would recommend this book for readers that like a good mystery. ( )
  RebeccaLMello | Dec 2, 2019 |
I received this book free through the Early Reviewer scheme.

This was an interesting investigation book from the point of view that the court recorder was the one doing the investigation. I liked the dual story lines and how they intertwined and the twist was very good. However, I didn't find Beatrice that likeable and as someone else mentioned she was capable of missing something very obvious whilst at the same time making some very large leaps of intuition. ( )
  JaneDickerson | Feb 15, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Stenographer Beatrice and a retired Garda Gabriel unravel the mystery of a murdered woman. Throughout the story, the tragic past of Beatrice revisits her. I was impressed with the author’s writing style and character development. My only critique of the book was how Beatrice could at times act with brilliant insight, and then at other times overlook the obvious - but maybe that is a true reflection of each one of us.
  AlanBes | Feb 6, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A pleasant read with an intriguing premise. I didn't feel overly engaged with the characters or invested in the story. I felt there needed to be more tension and suspense. It's an ok read. ( )
  spbooks | Jan 26, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
As she’s enjoying her lunch in the park, court reporter Bea Barrington witnesses an exchange between the main suspect in a case she’s been working on and a mysterious woman. Is the accused trying to tamper with the jury assigned to his case, or is there something more sinister going on?

This well-written novel follows Bea as she solves the mystery that she stumbled upon, forcing her to revisit her own personal history in the process. I enjoyed reading this book, mixing classic crime fiction tropes with unsual characters and some unexpected plot twists. I liked Bea’s character and I hope that we will get to read more about her adventures. ( )
  timtom | Dec 17, 2018 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Fiona Gartland's book In the Court's Hands is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 140,161,999 books! | Top bar: Always visible